Hawthorne PD kills dog of wrongly arrested citizen

Also ain't no mother fucker grabbing the leash in that situation.

the owner was telling the dog no, and it was retreating. i feel that if that cop didnt come at it with gun drawn, it wouldnt have sensed hostility, and would have complied. ive worked with dogs for a long time and i think that in that situation, yes, it could have been done. 

the owner was telling the dog no, and it was retreating. i feel that if that cop didnt come at it with gun drawn, it wouldnt have sensed hostility, and would have complied. ive worked with dogs for a long time and i think that in that situation, yes, it could have been done.

U havent been around rotties then. temperment and training go a long way. even if guns werent drawn and the cop had a treat, this dog would have possibly done the exact same thing. And dogs dont always listen to their masters. My roommate cant even get her 6 year old rottie out of her room or to back down and stop barking and jumping on people when they hug her or get to close to either me or her. So your assumption isnt necessarily correct.

I think that you should be able to say whatever you want to cops. They are normal people, you pay their salary, and they sure as hell don't care what they say to you. I can't watch that video because I have a weak constitution for animal cruelty and such, but damn...

EDIT - for clarification, the police in the city of Philadelphia tend to fail at life.

Watching the dog getting shot kills me. But for most the video who is that ignorant to film a police raid? I would be locked in my house or something. Of course the dog is going to react if his owner is being detained by another party....my pug would be biting their ankles if that was me.

The owner was wrong, he didn't need to be there if there was some police raid going on. That's just dumb. When he put the dog in his car he should have rolled up the window. Did he really expect it to just sit there when it can easily jump thru the window? He's definitely partly responsible for this whole thing. Don't be stupid and this whole thing never happens.

The cop was wrong for shooting the dog, I'm sure one shot would have done the trick, he didn't need to keep going. He also could have just used a taser or pepper spray on the dog.

No way in hell I'd be trying to grab that dogs leash if he was coming at me tho, it's not like if you grab the leash it's going to keep the dog from attacking you.

hell, maybe its just me, but id rather let a dog attack me and take a bite out of my arm or some shit, then get a settlement check, instead of murdering it for doing what dogs do. 

but i dont disagree the owner was irresponsible and stupid.

and are we sure it was a hostage situation? i heard it was a raid. 

I concur with anyone saying that both parties hold responsibility in this instance.  As it's been said, the fatality could have been avoided if the gentleman carried on his way.  There's absolutely no reason to be that close to armed policemen in their line of work... whether they were on the verge of a raid, a hostage situation, a drug bust, or whatever the situation may be.  Anyone insisting that the guy was doing "nothing wrong" should know that he's had a rocky history with the Hawthorne police department, and that his overly-known presence was borderline heckling.

As for the police... there's no denying that they took the situation too far.  As everyone has said -- it's evident that the dog backs down.  And obviously, one shot would have been enough.  As would a tazer.  Or possibly pepper-spray.  Watching the video, I obviously knew it would end terribly... but the entire time I was anticipating an assault from the dog.  I was expecting him to lunge or knock an office down before they opened fire.  So you can only imagine my surprise (and disgust) when shots were fired after the dog was clearly injured, frightened, and suppressed after one shot.  The fact that three grown men couldn't find a better solution to this scenario says a lot about the intelligence and care factor of the Hawthorne PD, I think.

I concur with anyone saying that both parties hold responsibility in this instance.  As it's been said, the fatality could have been avoided if the gentleman carried on his way.  There's absolutely no reason to be that close to armed policemen in their line of work... whether they were on the verge of a raid, a hostage situation, a drug bust, or whatever the situation may be.  Anyone insisting that the guy was doing "nothing wrong" should know that he's had a rocky history with the Hawthorne police department, and that his overly-known presence was borderline heckling.

As for the police... there's no denying that they took the situation too far.  As everyone has said -- it's evident that the dog backs down.  And obviously, one shot would have been enough.  As would a tazer.  Or possibly pepper-spray.  Watching the video, I obviously knew it would end terribly... but the entire time I was anticipating an assault from the dog.  I was expecting him to lunge or knock an office down before they opened fire.  So you can only imagine my surprise (and disgust) when shots were fired after the dog was clearly injured, frightened, and suppressed after one shot.  The fact that three grown men couldn't find a better solution to this scenario says a lot about the intelligence and care factor of the Hawthorne PD, I think.

now not knowing that he had history kind of changes my opinion on him, thanks for pointing that out.

i think you put it best derek. 

It's one thing if there were some kind of unjustified police actions to start off, but the cops were doing an organized raid for hells sake, look at that huge truck in the background! Anybody who knows anything about law enforcement knows this is nothing to kid around about, and honestly, the guy shouldn't have been out there on this ghetto flip phone with his dog.

The cops coulda/shoulda/woulda used a taser or pepper spray on the dog, but the owner shouldn't have been so dumb. All he had to do was walk away and none of this would have happened. 

Did you read any part of this thread or back story?  Or did you just jump on the Youtube link and dash for the reply box?

ive read about this... its just dumb that people are using the fact that he's a jerk off as justification for shooting his dog. he was being arrested for something he shouldn't have been doing which i certainly agree with. but the reaction of the cop that shot was bullshit. 

They shouldn't have shot the dog. But what do you expect when the police are already on edge in the area and a big dog is trying to protect or see his owner. When it all comes down to it, if he did not get arrested his dog would be alive.

Being a jerk off = arrested = dog coming out = dog got shot....it sucks but every action we take has a consequence, ever see Jurassic Park :P

Also animals dying make me cry :(

They shouldn't have shot the dog. But what do you expect when the police are already on edge in the area and a big dog is trying to protect or see his owner. When it all comes down to it, if he did not get arrested his dog would be alive.

Being a jerk off = arrested = dog coming out = dog got shot....it sucks but every action we take has a consequence, ever see Jurassic Park :P

Also animals dying make me cry :(

i get the logic behind what you are saying, i guess I just think more rationally than a cop with a gun. I know id rather deal with the pain of a dog bite than the guilt of taking a life. also, yea...i cried when i saw the video and then cuddled my dog and gave him lots of treats.

sort of related: my girl was walking our dog and these creepy dudes were following her, one of them started getting too close and my dog...who is normally a docile little guy lost his mind and the dude ran...and i assume pooped himself. Any dog will try to protect its owners, its that unconditional love they have. And needless to say.....My lady doesn't walk the dog at night anymore. 

the pain of a dog bite is the least of your worries. a rottie has a higher bite force than a shepherd and a pit bull. it's also agile, so trying to subdue it isn't a probability unless you are of a substantial weight difference. not to mention a bite can cause severe damage other than infection. my old boss was bitten by a friend's pit bull and now has permanent nerve damage to three of his fingers. no one knows the temperament or training of a dog. not all dogs are trained the same. what if that dog was trained to attack the genitals. would you risk getting your genitals mutilated or worse the loss of movement in your only hand for the sake of the dog's life? hence why the cop probably shot it in the first place. no one knows and most wouldn't take the chance.

mind you, i love animals, but in this case it seemed warranted, but the whole situation was really was a cause and effect type situation that no one could have forethought. sure pepper spray could have been used, but what if he wasn't carrying any at that second. not all cops carry pepper spray, as most carry tasers. and a taser should never be used on a dog unless you plan to kill it.

Please take what I am saying with a grain of salt because I dont know all the facts: I love dogs but Rotties and pitbulls scare the shit out of me because one in my neighborhood chased me down as a kid of like five. I feel bad for the dog but have no idea what I'd do if I was a cop and saw one coming straight at me.

However since the cops apparently knew that this guy liked to be an asshole and film the cops you can't pull the stun gun out? Would have made this situation have a little bit of a kinder outcome.  

I train dogs for a living and this whole situation just has me shaking my head.  While I understand that filming the police is not illegal, this guy really should've just minded his own damn business.  His shit disturbing got his dog killed.

That being said, the way the police handled this was terrible.  Nothing about the dogs body language suggested that it was going to become aggressive in any way.  Almost every poorly trained dog jumps on people and even the best trained dog would want to see wtf was happening if a bunch of strangers surrounded their owner.  Anyone trying to justify this because it was a Rottweiler doesn't know what they're talking about.  Any breed is equally likely to bite all depending on how it was raised.  It is brainwashing by the media that makes gives a bad reputation to bully breeds.  The cop already had his gun drawn and aimed when the dog was just sniffing the grass.  At that point he shouldve just picked up its leash and walked it away.  He (like a lot of cops) obviously has little dick syndrome and probably would've shot it regardless of whether it was a rottie or a westie.  And it's comforting knowing that a police officer has such a shitty shot that he cant even take out a dog cleanly when it's right in front of him.  4 shots and it still doesn't die?  Horrible.