Can we talk about Mogwai?

I only really like Happy Songs... I've never really gotten too far into their other stuff. I liked the Les Revenants EP too. My girlfriend is a huge fan but I only have a limited amount of time for any post rock stuff.

Also, I've gone off them even more when I saw a documentary where Stuart (?) from Mogwai described Ronnie James Dio as something like a "dwarven mongol cunt"

EDIT: that said, I've seen them live once which was an incredible gig. They also played a festival I was at recently but The Exorcist was showing in the cinema so, no contest for me really.

I kept seeing this topic and never clicked because I had no clue who Mogwai was until I saw this yesterday. LOL.

LARS ULRICH Is 'Unbelievably Bad' On Drums And METALLICA 'Is Shite,' Say Scottish Post-Rock Icons MOGWAI

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/lars-ulrich-is-unbelievably-bad-on-drums-and-metallica-is-shite-say-scottish-post-rock-icons-mogwai/

Yes!  I went from not knowing them to like SUPER into them because it's perfect web development work. 

The only thing I knew about this band before I downloaded them ( cause of this thread ) was that they were incredibly loud and that one of my old roommates saw them once ( but he never played them ).

http://www.last.fm/user/skankandmosh you can see I have 2100 plays in less than 12 months hahaha.

On 8/25/13 I downloaded from what.cd:

Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

Happy Songs for Happy People

CODY

Les Revenants Soundtrack + EP

Mr. Beast

Zidane - A 21st Century Portrai.

Young Team

because I wanted to get into them!

On 5/9/14 I added:

A Wrenched Virile Lore ( I don't care for this that much )

Rave Tapes

The Hawk is Howling

Batcat EP

and on 5/29/14:

Earth Division EP

Ten Rapid

Special Moves

Rock Action ( why didn't I have this sooner.....)

Government Commissions

EP + 6

for a total of 165 songs @ 15 hours & 8 minutes

woooooooo

Such a solid collection.  I am super glad you didn't neglect Ten Rapid or EP + 6.  A lot of people seem to, but they're so (so very) good.  Glad to hear they're all treating you good, too.  And it's funny – I don't listen to Rock Action as much as I should, but every time I play it I find myself wondering why I'm not spinning it more often.  Such a well-rounded album.

I still have yet to check out Wretched Virile Lore.

I still have yet to check out Wretched Virile Lore.

I think Wretched turned out far better than Kicking a Dead PigHardcore seems like better source material to remix in general, so that might be part of it.  Some of it is a little forgettable, but some of it I liked quite a bit (especially the JKB remix).

the sample is credited to Rev. Lee Cohen. i have no idea haha.

here you go:

On the new album, there’s a track called ‘Repelish’ with a spoken word piece running through it. Google couldn’t tell me where it came from - where did you find it?

In the bar that my wife runs, there’s a jukebox and she had the idea to ask people that I knew to make mixtapes for it. Geoff Barrow from Portishead had sent us one, and the first track is this excerpt from a Christian radio show in America. I think he got it from [New Jersey community station] WMFU, they have an archive of that kind of stuff. Anyway, we had to re-record it because we were a little bit worried; we’re basically taking the piss out of the guy, and it’s difficult to take the piss out of Christians without getting yourself into trouble. A friend of ours from Chicago did it for us, and I think we all actually agreed that this new version sounds better.

well now it makes way more sense - plus reading the lyrics helped. the first part is NOT a part of the tape, it's like him saying "here is what I found".

Further in the tape I came across another part, that made me throw my headphones right off my head. I couldn't believe what I've heard.

Led Zeppelin's Stairway to heaven, again, was voted the most popular tune of rock's history. Keep that in mind as I show this tape to exert(?) with you.

In the lyrics of the song, they sing the piper is calling you to join him. She's BUYING her stairway to heaven, we know that's not possible.

This is where the subliminal message comes in that we've been talking about in the previous interview. The subliminal message is a Satanic message, that was put on their record in reverse.

The needle'll go in the opposite direction. You say that I've never heard anything like that before; probably not, but many, many people have. And this is what I'm talking about, you can only hear it a few more minutes(?).

They sing backwards, in human voices.

*Backwards speaking gibberish, inaudible*

Satan. You gotta live for Satan. Master Satan. The message that they have altogether, that they wanted you to hear, in subliminal way or in reverse, is this. Because I live, surely(?), there's no escaping it. Satan. We gotta live for Satan.

You've heard of group after group who worship his singing, for Satan, they know He is real. God tells us He's not willing that any should perish, and that includes Mick jagger and Alice Cooper, and all of the rock singers. Because they have a choice to make. What about you? What do you choose?

• 2 months later...