Any bike enthusiasts here?

Wheels are insanely expensive. I wanted to upgrade my trainer wheelset but after getting my race wheels serviced I couldn't justify it. In good news I got the call from my local that my bike is ready. Dropped it off for a tune-up and cleaning to start the spring training season - of course it's snowing outside yet again. Another week on the trainer. I'm getting stir crazy. 

Glad to see there is a bike thread in here. I don't own a bike but I've always been interested in buying one. I'm planning on moving out in the summer to Costa Mesa, CA so I can be closer to school and my client base for work, and I'd love to able to commute to school by bike to save on gas, keep myself in shape, and to just ride around town for fun (I love running but I'm on my feet all day and sometimes it just kicks the shit out of me). I'm mostly going to be riding pavement across town so something fast and of decent comfort would be up my alley. I'm not trying to break the bank but I'd be willing to put down some money if the bike is convincing. Can anyone here make a recommendation?

I was looking at those Trek CrossRips and they look amazing but I don't know if it's worth the investment. The Allant looks perfect but I don't know if it sacrifices performance for comfort and style. Any owners here?

EDIT: I just came back form the shop and turns out they have some of last years Trek Madone 2.1 models in red. Runs smooth and feels nice. They marked it down to about $1100 with a year's financing. Tempting... Again, any owners here?

• 3 weeks later...

Got out Monday on a really windy day for the first time with my Zipp 404s on the bike to feel things through. They were both twitchy and incredible. Kept up +21mph pace into headwinds when pushing zone 3 and above during intervals. 

I'm so glad the weather is improving. I'm hoping to hit the road for a nice 2 hour ride on Saturday. 

Right now I have an entry level single-speed SE Draft that I don't hate by any means, but I'm definitely looking for something that's going to work better for longer rides that will be less likely to murder my thighs when dealing with hills.  For the moment, I'm pricing stuff and considering what's going to work best in the long run.  Then again, I'm about 98% certain I'm moving to Brooklyn in December, so maybe I should access my commute situation when the time comes.  

• 1 month later...

I bought my first road bike around six months ago. A Scott CR1 Team. After a year or so of riding on a flat bar commuter, it was great to get onto a road bike. I've gone from doing 20km rides to 60km, and really enjoying it.

The weather has started to turn here though, and i'm not too keen to ride on the road in the rain (Perth drivers are notoriously bad, particularly when its wet). Not riding is doing my head in....I actually miss it!

2012%E5%A4%8F%20118.JPG

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread!

Wife and I are looking into hybrids to just get out and make some short jaunts. 10-15 miles at most I would guess. There is a really cool co-op near us that we went to and they were very helpful, just didn't have anything in stock for us. I would love to be around $300 or under if possible until I know I'll be really into it, then would likely be looking into a Surly or something. Don't know if I should be looking into retail or just grabbing a cheapo on craigslist and getting a tune up. If you guys have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it, we are both about 6' even.

Thaaaanks

I ride a 1987 Dave Scott Centurion Ironman Women's Road Bike.  Women's frame because I'm only 5'5" and have short legs, haha.  Back tire is a 26x1, front tire is a 24x1.  Leans like a track bike, seriously love this bike and have been riding it for nearly 10 years now.  Got it at a thrift store in Oklahoma City for $21, and it's still one of the greatest deals I've ever gotten on anything in my life.  I can't believe how much these bikes still go for online.  Here's a google picture of the outrageous paint job.

$T2eC16h,!%29EE9s2ui%29UrBRHYpbHLtw~~60_

my bike and i have been real tight lately. finally taking advantage of the fact that i have a bike path essentially in my backyard. i'd mostly been doing 8-12 mile rides the last few months, but kicked it up a notch recently. did 24 miles one day, and 19 a few days after. now i'm able to crank out one of those 8-12 mile rides before going to work like it's nothing.