Best record stores in NYC?

I'd like to know this too, actually. I work in NYC but it always seems like the shops are either REALLY freakin' indie or old timey.

Bleecker Street was my favorite (it's still open but moving) but hasn't had any thing come in for the past couple months. They have a pretty big collection on hand of new and used. (Still worth checking out).

I've found a lot of really good ones in Brooklyn and there's always Looney Tunes out on Long Island (a little bit of a hike without a car but still my favorite shop). 

*and by NYC, I'm speaking Manhattan. It's something us tri-state folk speak to incorrectly, haha.

I shop in nyc record stores quite a bit.. (*in no order)

1.  Manhattan - Other Music (as mentioned) it's great for experimental and new indie.  

2.  Manhattan - Kim's - terribly managed but has some nice stuff and some interesting new stuff.

3.  Manhattan - Generation Records - great new punk and hardcore, not a ton of old stuff at all.

4.  Academy (2 shops in NYC, 1 in BK)  go to the Brooklyn one (it's moving as of Oct.)..  great used stuff

5.  Brooklyn - Record Grouch - some really nice used and new stuff but be careful I know that the dude there will put out scratched stuff or mislabeled shit.

6. Brooklyn -  Permanent Records - meh..  sometimes ok stuff

7. Brooklyn -  Human Head - Travis who works / own this place is on here, it's a good shop with some really nice finds on there..

8. Brooklyn -  Black Gold - a friend's shop that really specializes in some cool indie stuff from the 90's  / 00's

also, turntable lab and living in stereo have some really nice hip hop stuff in Manhattan

outside of the city there is vintage vinyl in NJ, Clockwork Records near White Plains and a few other great shops.

I shop in nyc record stores quite a bit.. (*in no order)

1.  Manhattan - Other Music (as mentioned) it's great for experimental and new indie.  

2.  Manhattan - Kim's - terribly managed but has some nice stuff and some interesting new stuff.

3.  Manhattan - Generation Records - great new punk and hardcore, not a ton of old stuff at all.

4.  Academy (2 shops in NYC, 1 in BK)  go to the Brooklyn one (it's moving as of Oct.)..  great used stuff

5.  Brooklyn - Record Grouch - some really nice used and new stuff but be careful I know that the dude there will put out scratched stuff or mislabeled shit.

6. Brooklyn -  Permanent Records - meh..  sometimes ok stuff

7. Brooklyn -  Human Head - Travis who works / own this place is on here, it's a good shop with some really nice finds on there..

8. Brooklyn -  Black Gold - a friend's shop that really specializes in some cool indie stuff from the 90's  / 00's

also, turntable lab and living in stereo have some really nice hip hop stuff in Manhattan

outside of the city there is vintage vinyl in NJ, Clockwork Records near White Plains and a few other great shops.

That's complete bullshit regarding Record Grouch. 

That's complete bullshit regarding Record Grouch. 

I know two people plus myself who have bought expensive records from the Grouch and either the record had a deep scratch in it or it was the wrong record in the sleeve.

maybe it was three isolated times and you've had great experiences there .. my friend and I have not..

have I stopped shopping there, no.  I am just a little more cautious.

I'm rarely in Manhattan, but Generation Records is my favorite place.

The two times I've been to Record Grouch, I didn't feel very welcome.

My go to record stores are Academy and Co-op in Brooklyn. 

Black Gold is nice because you can get coffee and browse through records and antiques at the same time.