a copy of Explosions In The Sky How Strange, Innocence 2LP Is ON ebay

Someone I admire very much asked my opinion on hammer, and I guessed $375 since not sealed and imperfect.  But if I really HAD to have it, DIE without it, would bid $600+change.

I am not bidding on this - looks like my hypothetical bid would have gotten blown out of the water :huh:

Also looks like this will make Page 1 of Collector's Frenzy, eh? And still 40 minutes left to go...

I'm just wondering what type of person has the expendable income to spend >$650 on a single record.

A lot of people do. If I made more money and really wanted that record I don't think $650 is that insane. I couldn't pay that much for it and I wouldn't sell my copy for that amount either. Maybe I'm the one who is crazy.

A lot of people do. If I made more money and really wanted that record I don't think $650 is that insane. I couldn't pay that much for it and I wouldn't sell my copy for that amount either. Maybe I'm the one who is crazy.

The operative part of your comment being "if I made more money." Obviously, there are people with the money to purchase a $650 record. It's one thing to spend that much money on something like a rare Motown 45, as those draw more universal interest in the world of vinyl collectors. However, I'm just curious as to what type of person would have the type of money to spend on this particular record.

I wonder if it's just some kid who has $650 of saved up money, or if it's just some young professional who has a profession in a lucrative field (e.g. software developer) who has the money to spend on this. Who knows, it could be an older >40 year old person who has money and is a fan of the band, which would be interesting since they don't fall into EITS's primary fan demographic. It's the same thing I wonder about people who have the money to shell out $350 for Deja Entendu (except not to the same extent).

And for what it's worth, I agree with you about not purchasing the record for that amount nor selling my (sadly nonexistent) copy of the record. You're not crazy.

Especially on - quite possibly - the weakest album in the band's discography. Oof.

It's their best imo. The only one I would actually want to own on vinyl.

Who knows, it could be an older >40 year old person who has money and is a fan of the band, which would be interesting since they don't fall into EITS's primary fan demographic.

I'm an "older" person and I have been into Explosions since their first record was released. It's the reason I was able to buy "How Strange Innocence" at their show, when they finally released it on vinyl. I don't think they have a narrow age demographic for their fanbase. Last time I saw them was at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco and the age range was all over the place. I may have even seen some people with gray hair(uh oh)! ;)

It's their best imo. The only one I would actually want to own on vinyl.

Really? Dang. To each his own by all means. EITS were pretty influential in shaping my love for all things instrumental, years ago. And after multiple listens of everything in their discography, HSI is still the only record that loses my interest spontaneously. I'll give it another jam tonight (since it's been a while)... but Those Who Tell The Truth, The Earth Is Not, and All Of A Sudden do nothing for you? That seems so crazy to me. Would you say they're too formulaic to the genre, or something?

Even my radio-country music-lovin' bride of 27 years loves TEINACDP.  Must be the context-association that has been established ever so subtly through the years  ;)

Back on topic, ahem, the bidding history on this item is rather interesting. See the new (0 feedback bidder) get it to $305 and quit - there's your reserve in a no reserve auction imho.

The vinyl market on ebaY is very unpredictable in the music i tend to follow; alot of sketchy stuff seems to be going on vs. other collectibles I have followed.  discogs is either very reasonable, with an occasional steal (a minority, but enough to keep the want list hooked to email) or downright silly high. Probably a lot more selling 'off discogs' than ebaY fee avoidance.

edit: I think ebaY was the right venue for this record from the seller's perspective, and probably did better than discogs with a "make an offer" option.

Would you say they're too formulaic to the genre, or something?

That is my biggest problem with them. I'm just not really a fan of that style and am too burnt out by the thousands of EITS clones who throw the term post rock around too easily. I think EITS are a great band but just not my cup of tea. I feel like HSI is the only album that they weren't trying too hard on. I think seeing them live with Munaf doing synchronized dance moves with the lights kind of ruined things for me too. Silly, I know.

Edit: It's hard trying to word this without sounding like a wiener. I think the way HSI was recorded and their guitar tones are what make it stand out for me versus the others. I don't like their guitar tones on later albums which is what I think it all comes down to.

That is my biggest problem with them. I'm just not really a fan of that style and am too burnt out by the thousands of EITS clones who throw the term post rock around too easily. I think EITS are a great band but just not my cup of tea. I feel like HSI is the only album that they weren't trying too hard on. I think seeing them live with Munaf doing synchronized dance moves with the lights kind of ruined things for me too. Silly, I know.

Edit: It's hard trying to word this without sounding like a wiener. I think the way HSI was recorded and their guitar tones are what make it stand out for me versus the others. I don't like their guitar tones on later albums which is what I think it all comes down to.

That's fair enough.  Those Who Tell The Truth... is easily the "darkest" and most aggressive album of theirs.  The black sheep, so to speak, so I can understand the appeal among listeners who aren't necessarily smitten for EITS.

As far as everything else you touched up on; I can definitely see where you're coming from.  I guess they kind of get a thumbs up from me because - while their sound has been done to death - they are indeed the ones who pioneered it.  The original mold for your countless cookie-cutter, tremolo-packed "post-rock" bands.  What they do, they do right... and it's tough to ding them points for that on account of the clones that follow.  That's just how I see it, anyway.

They are hardly my favorite instrumental band, but I'd be lying if I said they weren't a gateway of sorts into my love for many other "instrumentally driven" bands.  (Mogwai, Isis, and everything in between.)  So I do owe them that.  I agree that some of their track titles are pretty cheesy, though.  And if we're being honest, their last album was pretty forgettable.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Dustin's #38/300 appears again, 100% increase in 4 years.

$809  Interesting bid history

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=121291773431

CollectorsFrenzy April 2010: http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/220590718105/Explosions_In_The_Sky__How_Strange_Innocence_Vinyl

Holy shit! Whoever bought that is gonna be pretty sad when it eventually gets repressed.