Does anyone have insurance on their vinyl?

hickey

My wife and I recently updated our homeowners insurance, and we added my vinyl to it. I think it's covered for up to $10,000. Now I have to photograph and catalog every record (which will be fun, but damn time consuming).

Anyway, I'm wondering if other folks have specifically added their vinyl to their home or renters insurance. If so, how much is it insured for?

My wife and I recently updated our homeowners insurance, and we added my vinyl to it. I think it's covered for up to $10,000. Now I have to photograph and catalog every record (which will be fun, but damn time consuming).

Anyway, I'm wondering if other folks have specifically added their vinyl to their home or renters insurance. If so, how much is it insured for?

dude thats amazing

+1

Ive been thinking about the renters insurance for that and possibly my drum set. Do you really have to photograph every record? Thats gonna take me some real serious time...

You don't have to, but dealing with insurance companies in the past, it's always good to have photographic evidence so they can't lowball you or try to call fraud. My HYE list is probably adequate for listing them, but I think I would need more than a list to prove that I actually own my records.

That's kind of why I started this thread. I'm wondering what others do and looking for suggestions.

Yeah, i'm insured. I didn't have to photograph it all though. A listing was good enough. I think it's because I was pretty adamant that I don't care about the money. If I lost (heaven forbid) my records, I'd be screwed. Limited quantity, etc...it's not like you can just buy them again. I'm more into it for sentimental value. Screw the money!

I looked into it and was going to have my local record store owner give me an estimate on my collection. Most guys won't want to put the time into appraising your records because they think you're going to just sell them, but if you tell them it's for insurance and buy them a six pack and lunch, they'll usually help you out. That way, the insurance company will respect your appraisal becuase it comes from an "expert".

I seriously need to look into this. Its really tough to put a monetary value on certain things though.

Yeah, but it's good to have just in case. Would suck to lose your records AND get nothing in return. Granted, money can't replace everything, but it's better than losing everything and having no money to start again.

what would renters insurance cost to insure a vinyl collection valued at approx $4500? any ideas?

When I moved into my current apartment the office manager was telling me about renters insurance. It was something like $15 a month and that covered everything in the apartment. I'm not sure if that's what it would cost for most places though.

what would renters insurance cost to insure a vinyl collection valued at approx $4500? any ideas?

I pay about $12 a month for $10,000 in coverage, that's the minimum coverage in this and probably all states. I tried to get a special addition for my records, but the only way they have to classify them is 'collectibles', and that has a $5000 limit, so I just cover them under the umbrella with everything else I own.

The only thing you have to quadruple check with your insurance company is if they will replace at actual value of that specific pressing/color/etc or if they will replace with an equivalent copy. As in -

I used to collect Misfits and Samhain. I wanted to add my collection to my renter's policy, so I called to get info. There were two options - adding to my standard policy or taking out an art/collectible type policy. The difference was that the standard policy replaced with an equivalent copy (as in, they'd replace my $1000 (at the time) green vinyl Earth A.D. with a $10 black vinyl copy from the record store down the street) whereas the collectible policy would actually replace at full value. Obviously this type of insurance is more expensive.

So just be careful about the terms.

Jason

http://www.murdercityvinyl.com