married people questions.

I've been married for two years and my wife and I have shared a joint account since the beginning. It's pretty easy for us since our salaries are pretty equal and we're both fairly responsible with our money. I think it's good to have transparency and more importantly, not having the headache of paying bills from separate accounts.

not married but with the girl for 3 years......have a shared house savings/holiday account that doesn get touched unless we both need/want a holiday and it doesnt cut too deep in to the house savings.....then our own savings accounts (mine seems to be my record and metallica collections.......not real good at saving) then our own spendings......seems to work for now......will changed once the home loan kicks in and we use Offsets accounts.

So my girlfriend just moved in. I've never lived with a girlfriend before and she has never lived with a boyfriend. She was really worried about moving into my place because I'm kind of anal about my stuff and she didn't think I was going to be open about bringing all her stuff in. I have been very open to everything and it seems to be going well. I think compromise is very important in this situation.

For now, everything is great. Any tips on how to keep it great for the long run?

My wife and I put into checking and savings based on our percentage of total income.

I make double what she does so I pay in 66.6% (the deposit of the beast) and she pays in 33.3% of our bills cost plus a cushion of what we expect to spend on food and fun.

The rest of our respective funds go towards our own bills and for me records (that she listens to, also) and for her clothes.

Seems to work really well and I tend to pick up bills and bring home special beer from time to time.

She handles the bills from our account and we each have a credit card or two and we have a couple joint ones.

For now, everything is great. Any tips on how to keep it great for the long run?

Get a hobby that doesn't involve her and see she does the same. Assuming you have some mutual interests it'll be easy and fun to spend like 70 - 80 percent of your time together, or whatever amount feels right to you. But that time apart is equally important.

If either one of you has to rely on the other for entertainment all the time it'll quickly become a chore.

Also, sex swing in the dining room really spices up TV dinner time.

We went a joint account and we each have a saving not visible to the other. All bills come out of the joint, her account is used as a savings currently because she's going back to school in the new year so we're cushioning for the impact. We just agreed to put an even amount of money in each paycheck into the joint. It ends up being about 90% of her pay and 80% of mine. I'm bad for records, food, clothes so it comes from that 20% I keep in my account so I don't dip into our money/

i love it because I suck with money and she's amazing at budgeting so her being able to see what I'm doing really straightens me out. I just cancelled her credit card and put her on mine because I was cheating hard with her not able to see credit purchases and I had to do it so I would stop fucking up. 

We don't fight about money because she's right 99% of the time and I know I'm wrong.