PO: Silver Mt. Zion - Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light On Everything

I never took the time to get into these guys despite liking Godspeed. Would this new record be a good starting point or should I go back first?

I think you could jump in anywhere. 

This album is a great addition to their catalogue. 

Pretty Little Lightning Paw is my favorite though, even if it's only an EP.

I never took the time to get into these guys despite liking Godspeed. Would this new record be a good starting point or should I go back first?

I think This is Our Punk Rock... might be my favorite, but I think you could probably jump in anywhere.  You could go chronologically, that would start you with the material that has more similarities with Godspeed and might make for a smooth transition into their other work.

Got mine in today, going to listen to it at least once tonight.  The packaging is a little weak by Constellation standards, but they set a pretty high bar for themselves.  It's good by all means, just not overly impressive like some of their other releases are.

What would you consider overly impressive? All of GY!BE's releases? Not attacking, just inquiring. I don't know much about Constellation. 

What would you consider overly impressive? All of GY!BE's releases? Not attacking, just inquiring. I don't know much about Constellation. 

GY!BE : F#A# and Silver Mt. Zion : This is Our Punk Rock are two that come to mind.  F#A# especially, with it's debossed lettering, plethora of inserts and crushed penny.  I'm by no means unhappy with the packaging on Fuck Off, just was expecting a little more I think.  Constellation raised my expectations too much!  :D

So after careful consideration, I think I've decided that What We Loved Was Not Enough is the best song I've heard this year.  An 11-minute masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.  Those vocal harmonies and the finale kill me.

agreed. 

Record is dope, up there with He Has Left Us and This is our Punk Rock (my favorites) as some of the band's best work yet. 

What We Loved Was Not Enough was released a few years ago actually.  It was on The West Will Rise Again 2x7", although I can't tell if it's a different recording on the new album.  Either way, the song is incredible and it's nice not having it split up (and available to a much wider audience).  One listen through and I really dig the album.  The second half of Fuck Off Get Free (For the Island of Montreal) is stellar.

Edit : After comparing the two, I'm sure they're different recordings.  The one on the LP makes the original recordings sound like a demo (which it could have been).

So after careful consideration, I think I've decided that What We Loved Was Not Enough is the best song I've heard this year.  An 11-minute masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.  Those vocal harmonies and the finale kill me.

Right with you on this. Heartwrenching stuff.

What We Loved Was Not Enough was released a few years ago actually.  It was on The West Will Rise Again 2x7", although I can't tell if it's a different recording on the new album.  Either way, the song is incredible and it's nice not having it split up (and available to a much wider audience).  One listen through and I really dig the album.  The second half of Fuck Off Get Free (For the Island of Montreal) is stellar.

To my ears, it's definitely a different recording.

It had been quite a while since I'd listened to the original, so I was going off memory originally.

Yeah, although I listened to both of the versions for the first time a few weeks ago, right now I'm still having trouble recalling whether or not they actually were different. I'd have to listen to the first recording to see if I remember correctly.

I think the fact that it is divided into two parts already had something to do with it... I can't remember if it actually flowed together perfectly.

They are incredibly similar but the one on the album is definitely a bit more polished with some parts feeling a lot more solid. The one on the EP feels a bit "unsure of itself" in the sense that if you compare it to the one on the album. Effrim's vocals have definitely improved.

*Had a quick listen. Indeed, the EP one with its two parts kind of fades in and out where they're interposed to each other.

They are incredibly similar but the one on the album is definitely a bit more polished with some parts feeling a lot more solid. The one on the EP feels a bit "unsure of itself" in the sense that if you compare it to the one on the album. Effrim's vocals have definitely improved.

That's the perfect way to put it.  The production all around seems better, but the vocals and harmonies are noticeably improved from the EP.