Show VC: I built a site for remembering the concerts you've been to.

Hola!

It’s now easy to add the people who went to a concert with you. When you are adding a concert there’s a new field, “Who did you go with?”. Here you can add the email addresses of all the people who attended with you.

who-did-you-go-with-seendb-1024x929.png

If you include somebody who already has an account, the concert will automatically be added to their concert history. If they don’t have an account, we’ll send them an invite email and the concert will automatically be added to their concert history once they sign up. Easy peasy.

If you want to add attendees to a concert you’ve already created you can do that from the concert’s page. On the right side there’s a link to “+ Add Attendees”:

add-attendees-seendb-1024x421.jpg

Would it be possible to have a way to, when a tour is announced, add the entire tour to the database and then someone can either add from that page or if they try to add a show from that tour it all syncs up?

That may have no come out as clear outside of my head.

The site doesn't currently have the concept of a 'Tour' page yet. I could make the Past Concert Search Engine search for upcoming concerts pretty easily though, if that helps. Then, you'd be able to search for something like 'Yuck Portland' and be able to add the upcoming concert in advance.

Merging duplicate concerts is something I plan to tackle pretty soon. It'll be semi-manual (requiring a person to verify that the concert really is a duplicate) so I might wait until we have moderators.

The site doesn't currently have the concept of a 'Tour' page yet. I could make the Past Concert Search Engine search for upcoming concerts pretty easily though, if that helps. Then, you'd be able to search for something like 'Yuck Portland' and be able to add the upcoming concert in advance.

Merging duplicate concerts is something I plan to tackle pretty soon. It'll be semi-manual (requiring a person to verify that the concert really is a duplicate) so I might wait until we have moderators.

I guess, in my mind, it would more or less be a dummy account that would then add say, the new manchester orchestra tour, to its own account or perhaps, if possible, to no accounts at all.  That way, these shows are technically in the database for people to add once they then goto them.  They don't necessarily have to be grouped together as a tour, just somehow pre-inputted.

Yeah, just went back through, it's weird. There's a ton of shows that have all the same information but there's separate entries for them. 

Also, love the whole festival/bands played thing. Looks fantastic. Great job, site keeps getting better and better.

I guess, in my mind, it would more or less be a dummy account that would then add say, the new manchester orchestra tour, to its own account or perhaps, if possible, to no accounts at all.  That way, these shows are technically in the database for people to add once they then goto them.  They don't necessarily have to be grouped together as a tour, just somehow pre-inputted.

Doesn't the Past Concert Search solve this already? After you go to the show, you can just search 'Manchester Orchestra New York" and the show should be there to add to your list with 1 click?

Yeah, just went back through, it's weird. There's a ton of shows that have all the same information but there's separate entries for them. 

Also, love the whole festival/bands played thing. Looks fantastic. Great job, site keeps getting better and better.

Yeah, we'll get those duplicates merged together soonish.

Thanks re: festival/bands played feature! I think it's a pretty good solution.

You should make a "friends list" option. It'd be cool to be able to add my friends to a list for easier access in looking at their lists.

Agreed, I've been thinking about a feature where you can 'follow' friends. Then you'll receive updates when they add a concert, comment, photo, etc. Would you mind voting up that idea on the Feature Request page? https://seendb.uservoice.com/forums/232754-general

• 3 weeks later...

I had jury duty yesterday (ugh.), but cranked out a new feature (yay!).

I was starting to find myself writing lame comments on concerts. Things like "Whoa, this sounds like an awesome show!". To solve my "lame comment" problem, I created a new 'Like' button on SeenDB. You'll notice the Like button all across the site, so you can like Concerts, Bands, Venues, and Locations.

Check it out at http://seendb.com. Screenshot:

seendb-likes.jpg

With my locations, I have three different: New York, NY and two different: Brooklyn, NY s. I'm not sure why. But If I'm having that issue, others probably are too? Here's my page so you can see it: http://www.seendb.com/anthemforadoomed/locations 

Ok, I can run a script and merge duplicate locations. I'll let you know once it's fixed. Thanks for letting me know!

• 1 month later...

I've missed this thread what shows has everyone been going to?

Also, Justin I've got a couple duplicate bands, and figured I should let you know! Love the site.

Yep, I can merge them. Which bands have the duplicates?

Most recently I saw Yuck and Chvrches. Both were super good.

I want a buddy of mine to sign up, but has been to over just under 1,000 shows (962) and doesn't want to manually enter them all.. is there any chance of an import from excel?

Wow, that's a crap ton of shows! I probably won't be able to add 'import via Excel' very soon. Maybe he can just get started with the latest shows he's been to.

Yep, I can merge them. Which bands have the duplicates?

Most recently I saw Yuck and Chvrches. Both were super good.

That's awesome!

One is Repo-Rok the other is The Swaggerin' Growlers.

Thanks so much!

I want a buddy of mine to sign up, but has been to over just under 1,000 shows (962) and doesn't want to manually enter them all.. is there any chance of an import from excel?

This is insane. I agree with Justin, and he can add the old ones in his spare time as a side project haha. I want to see the finished product

hey @justin_...

is there a way to have your list default to most recent first? i think it'd be much better to view people's lists that way. 

also, when i was entering a show, just now, semicolons didn't do anything. they kept appearing in the band name.

edit: and... is there a way for you to make the database ignore "the" for the band lists?  

hey @justin_...

is there a way to have your list default to most recent first? i think it'd be much better to view people's lists that way. 

also, when i was entering a show, just now, semicolons didn't do anything. they kept appearing in the band name.

edit: and... is there a way for you to make the database ignore "the" for the band lists?  

Yeah, I can reverse the order of of the concert list (probably this weekend). Originally I liked it being in chronological order, but it probably makes more sense to have it newest first.

It looks like the semicolons don't work if the dropdown of suggested bands is open. As a work-around, if you hit escape, the dropdown will close, and then you can hit the semicolon and it'll work. I'll see if I can get a better fix.

Ignoring the 'the' might be a bigger challenge. I'll do some thinking on that.

Happy RSD tomorrow!