PO: Liars - Mess

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Leaked. Listening now and two songs in it may top WIXIW.

It kept pulling my attention from what I was working on.  I'm going to have to listen to it more with my full attention, but my initial opinion is positive.  I'm hoping my local store will have it a little cheaper than Amazon or Mute (after shipping).

If you bought the Mess deluxe with string, then be on the lookout for a companion piece released in the UK for Record Store Day for the track "Mess on a Mission" with string inside of the vinyl.

Source:  http://www.clashmusic.com/news/liars-announce-record-store-day-release?

where does it say that it is UK only?

Actually this was posted on URP's facebook page as said it was limited to 1000 copies.  So it looks like it will be here in the US for Record Store Day.  woo-hoo.

Nice, yeah. The record pictured on instagram says "Made in USA" so when someone said UK-only I was like, "Whaaaaaaa?!"

• 2 weeks later...

It's not resealable. It opens like a gatefold and the LPs are vacuum sealed in the side that doesn't have string. So in theory, I think you're supposed to cut open the side with the records, but then the plastic on the record side won't line up with the cover. Not to mention that this thing is too big to fit on my shelf and if I do open it, I'm afraid the records will fall out real easy. Kind of an annoying design.

Mine came in too and I have similar concerns. Packaging looks amazing and it appears that the records have clear sleeves with the track listing and info screened onto the clear sleeve. Just need to figure out a way to get the records out without mangling the package and a place to store this gargantuan thing..

Edit : I think a top opening makes the most sense for the package

so I successfully managed to extract the record while leaving the package mostly intact. what I did was a small 1 inch vertical cut near top right edge, which removed the vacuum seal from the record side only. then I just cut along the inside jacket to create a top opening without removing any material. the LPs are able to be easily slid in and out through the top slit opening, and packaging looks intact when I replace the LPs. fwiw the vinyl sounds excellent.

Thanks Brillwill, this is really helpful. 
I keep looking at mine and thinking I might have luck creating a vertical opening along the right edge of the record side -- to create a side opening. That way the cut wouldn't risk growing (with use) into the cover art side. 

Hmmm. I'll let you all know how it goes after I work up the nerve. 

Is anyone else having troubles downloading the album from the Liars store? I am logged into account and see the order. It says I have 10 downloads available. But there is nothing to click to download. Can anyone help?

Go to "My Downloadable Products" on the left after logging in to the store. Then click where it says "Mess - 24BIT WAV" or "Mess - MP3" on the right side of the Title section to download.

So I opened mine. Made a horizontal slit near the top of the inside of the gatefold on the LP side using an X-Acto knife. Seems like it will stay nice without ripping. However, the string side is no longer vacuum sealed. It's still staying tight enough to hold the string, but has loosened considerably. Disappointing. Anyone else experiencing this?