Stories of Helping Others...

Daiei

Let's get some good feels in here.

Read on VC that someone bought a Circa Survive Violent Waves box set but didn't receive the hand painted jacket.  Somehow I got two in my order.  Decided to give the extra to him at cost of shipping.

Our local vinyl shop for RSD is pretty small, so for rare titles that there's only one copy of we raffle instead of fighting over them inside the store.  I won the raffle for ATDI - Relationship of Command but noticed this little dude (had to be less than 10 and had this rad Ramones shirt and long metal-esque hair) was really bummed so I gave it to him.

Secular Haze has always been awesome. I need to do some charity auctions again soon. Last year people were generous enough to overpay on some stuff to help me raise over $1000 for Philabundance. I'll probably be putting up a ton of show prints soon. Also, Jersey Dave has sold some stuff for charity on here before. There are a ton of cool people in the community. Not to mention all the people who sell awesome records for cheap.

There are some good folks here. We almost paid for a full year of school for a kid from Africa last year - he was very grateful and promised everyone he'd study hard. 

The lions share of my charity work is done well removed from records and I suspect most folks are the same way. I'm not really a fan of publicizing them however. I grew up with a father that gave me this advice that I live by: If you expect someone to say thank you then you are doing it for the wrong reason.

I will share one little tiny story that I'm proud of and think is a pretty good example of how a little thing can mean a lot. A year ago we had a torrential downpour in NYC. One of those rains where people are running for cover. I had a huge golf umbrella but my ankles were getting soaked as the water came back up off the pavement. I see a mother pushing a stroller along with a little kid holding her other hand. They are struggling and getting drenched. I walk up and hand her my umbrella and tell her I hope it can keep them all dry. She burst out in tears. I kept walking after telling her daughter to be safe, it was way to nasty out to stay and chat. I suddenly hear these huge footsteps coming from behind, a startling city sound that made me turn defensively. I look up and it's two people with umbrellas who saw what I did and have hustled to cover me up. One guy said it was the kindest thing he'd seen in New York - I told him he probably wasn't looking hard enough but that if my wife and three year old were in the same spot I'd hope someone would do the same. Anyway, they walked me a few blocks and I got to Penn Station almost dry in the end. People are overwhelmingly decent in this world - they just don't make good news stories. 

One time I helped an older blind woman cross the street... No one was helping her! I was angry at those people so I helped her cross kenmore sq in Boston then we sat on a bench and chatted.

I also used to give what some people call "motivational" speeches to kids and adults who had recently lost limbs. Being that I was born without most of my legs and left hand it was a little different, but people told me I did a good job. I'd reallyike to start doing that again.

Awhile back I had some records I didn't want anymore. Went on r/vinyl and had a mystery sale and raised $80 for Child's Play (charity). Cost me 8 records and the shipping fees but it felt good.

How did you go about this? My wife is a vet tech and we are always contributing to various local animal organizations. I definitely have some records to unload for good causes! 

Is there rules for this on VC?