Show / Concert Etiquette

I'll be 32 in a month, all I wear is band shirts. Granted my job allows it, that coupled with the fact that they're cheap, and I have no idea how to dress like an "adult" keeps the cycle alive. The "don't wear the shirt of the band you're about to see" rule is the oldest concert rule in the book. No idea where or how it started. I always viewed its origin something like "hey, we already know you're here to see those guys, you look like an asshole." 

That would totally be me.  At shows I have no ability to hear what people are saying so I just end up nodding and smiling.  Occasionally saying cool or something like that.

Haha. Me too. It blows my mind when people answer phones while a band is playing. I have no idea how they can even hear anything coming out of the phone. 

I have some routines for sure. My metabolism is ridiculous so I eat hearty and drink a lot of water, otherwise I'll be dehydrated as fuck by the end of the show.

I give the opening bands the respect they deserve, they aren't making much money and just want to have fun. Claps, and cheers for those guys after songs for sure (if they are really really awful I may just stay quiet, talking over people playing sucks). 

I usually get there early because I like seeing and supporting the opening bands, finding a space I want to be in and so forth. 

Generally, I like to be at the front because I like to watch the band play, and have some interaction with the crowd. If I don't love/ really the band I'll hang out on the side and just watch them play.

Don't usually get in the pit, crowd surf, or stage dive because I will end up being dehydrated. I am always the one that has to drive to shows so I can't leave feeling sick/ lightheaded.

Always buy something from the merch table, a lot of the time something from each band.

I think one photo per band is okay. I'm really visual, and looking at pictures helps me remember stuff much better. I'm also a photographer so I'm a little biased. But its always "snap a picture, and put the damn phone away"

Bring an extra shirt in the car. Having deodorant in the car isn't a bad idea either. No one likes being sweaty and smelly in the car for an hour+ long drive. 

put your fucking phone away. 

be aware of your surroundings. nothing is worse than establishing yourself in a spot in a light crowd, and having 3 or 4 people come out of no where and completely invade your personal space. really? you can't go 10 feet to your left where we don't have to worry about my huge friggin' bulge brushing up against your backside?

and just don't be this fucking guy. you can see EVERYTHING from EVERYWHERE. why do you need to be directly in front of me at EVERY show?!

943096_10151417003006097_1494575270_n.jp

Guest Timbo_Slice

Also, I have never really understood people bringing books to read at shows. I guess if you don't know anybody…still feels weird, and that is coming from somebody that enjoys reading. 

I recently chatted with another VCer about what's considered acceptable to wear at shows. I

Derek thanks for starting this thread. fwiw I was the goob who PM'ed about him it.

Even though I don't judge people by what they wear, and my default mode is to dress casually (used to have a surf shirt and flannel for every day of the week growing up), I'm sort of expected to dress above the level of band shirts - which, I love to wear.

The 'why's' behind The Dress Code - not the photo/videoing, talking, yelling "freebird" or "Asa", beer baths, or stampedes - would a great Psych or Sociology study, not just at shows, but everywhere, especially fads.

There was one post not too far up here about WHY not to wear the band's shirt that you're going to see - (we already know you support them) and I remember jonrawks "it's not a sports event" haha; or apparently the even worst faux pas of wearing merch one just bought (gah!), my daughter is guilty and got pics with band members - which was my fault as it was her birthday present to see them (double gah!)

Appreciate all the input!

Let's just say I've been Clark Griswold to the max, with fly open and something hanging out of my nose, and no one bothered to tell me :(

At a Russian Circles show I had 3 people come up to me and ask where I got the RC shirt I was wearing (if homemade or not) as it was then a limited run. And I have snuck some one-off designs fairly easily, since the indie scene is, well, um, not well known.

And maybe there's some clues: 1. maybe the genre of music /show dictates the The Dress Code and some are more liberal in this regard or more tolerant of nerds than others following other genres, if there is indeed a universal norm  2. Concerts of Big Label Bands or Sports Arena type shows where the home team attire is the norm vs. indie/punk/underground/smaller venue shows, where all the cool people hang anyways.  The Code of Coolness - if you have to ask someone about it - well, you're not cool and never will be. 

PS I was going to start this thread as a Poll and also in the wrong forum, so Derek saved my arse by doing this for me-until I just posted, so I'm just hoping for and equal number likes and dislikes - or ignore, that'd be cool.

I think I'll just wear whatever I want to wear....which is a shirt of the band I'm going to see ;)  - or a predecessor thereof - but not a rival band. with fly open and boogers or however you spell that.