Show / Concert Etiquette

I recently chatted with another VCer about what's considered acceptable to wear at shows. I find this topic interesting because the answers vary quite a bit, depending on who you ask, as does the importance. Before you get 2edgy4me and reply with Wear whatever the fuck you want. Where's WHO CARES? when you need him?, please keep in mind that this is purely for the sake of discussion, and I'd like to hear what others think. I never find myself "conflicted" or caring all too much about what I may wear out to a show. I typically go with any clothing that I don't care too much about, on the off-chance someone spills a drink on me or I'm stepped on. But I was wondering if anyone else grew up with goofy rules or taboos. "Never wear a band's merch to the show you're attending." Or "Try to wear an appropriate record label shirt." I've heard it all... or so I think. That's kind of the reasoning behind making this thread. These days, the trend I've noticed is flannel and plaid. Guys my age seem to decide that they'll all collectively wear red flannel long-sleeves and beanies. It's a thing.

But attire aside, does anyone have any other "traditions" that they adhere to at shows? For me, I try to avoid listening to the band on the way to a show. I typically have to drive 1.5 - 3 hours to see anything good, and it can be difficult to not burn myself out on an artist before I even arrive. That's pretty much the only show-related rule I follow.

That, and post-show In'N'Out on the way home.

I'd also like to hear any guidelines that you try to follow during the show. Unspoken rules for pits, crowd-surfing, moshing, merch, getting autographs, recording video or taking pictures. The works.

I'm positive there's been a similar thread to this on VC at some point. I did a brief search and found nothing. And I'm feeling lazy. So.

I do, however, refuse to listen to the band the day of the show.

I take this pretty seriously.  There was one show I attended where I wasn't driving - and thus felt that I didn't have a real vote on what was played - so I bit my tongue when we listened to a single band for 3 hours straight, and then saw them live.  They put on a good show, but every song was just like "Oh, this again?"

[edit]

My new golden rule for shows is to keep a case of earplugs in my car at all times.

Its a really odd experience for me whenever I go to shows. I'm 28 and the majority of what I listen to is pop punk and whenever I go to shows, I find myself hating the crowd for the most part. I don't really know why that is. I'm at the point in my life that whenever I go see a band I like, I have more fun just standing on the side watching the actual performance. I can't get "into the crowd" or "in the pit" or whatever you want to call it. I understand that that is fun for some people but its just not fun for me anymore. I feel like I always have to worry about getting nailed by a crowdsurfer I don't see or a stage diver falling on me. I feel like I have to pay attention to that stuff more than actually watching the band.

I'm not saying I'm against it, I had plenty of fun doing that when I was younger. I guess I'm just an old fart now

Also, back when I first starting going to shows growing up, it was like an unwritten law not to wear the band's shirt to the show that you're going to see. Now when I go to shows I'd say that like 60-70% of the people are wearing the bands shirt.

sometimes I wear a flannel when I know I'm just gonna chill in the back and have a few beers. most of the time I wear a band shirt but not the band(s) that I'm about to see.

Oh, and I wear my old glasses if I go to a show were I know I might get pushed or whatever. Comfy shoes, always.

I agree with you on the earplugs though, Derek. I'm getting old and need to take care of my hearing.

Never listen to the band the day of either.

Oh and enough smokes just in case the openings bands suck and I go outside to wait until they're done.

My personal rules for attending shows & concerts.

- I wear whatever I'll be comfortable in. Generally cargo shorts and a t-shirt. I never wear a shirt of the band(s) I'm going to see. I will not be THAT guy. Sounds silly but true.

- I don't listen to the band's music for about a week before the show. I feel like it's a prep cleanse to further enjoy the show when I do hear the songs I want to hear.

- I always have earplugs on hand and wear them at all shows. My tinnitus is already bad enough. Don't need it further fucked.

- I rarely join in on the moshing, pits, pile-ons, etc. at hardcore and punk shows. It happens in my old age. Although most recently, Shai Hulud always gets me jumping in to the singalongs and mic-grabs.

- If and when money permits, I'll pick up some merch. Best way I see to support the bands you love after going to the show itself.

- I usually have a few beers at the show. Not to any point to get stupid drunk and not remember the damn show.

And that's when Juan goes to a show.

I don't really know why that is. I'm at the point in my life that whenever I go see a band I like, I have more fun just standing on the side watching the actual performance. I can't get "into the crowd" or "in the pit" or whatever you want to call it. I understand that that is fun for some people but its just not fun for me anymore. I feel like I always have to worry about getting nailed by a crowdsurfer I don't see or a stage diver falling on me. I feel like I have to pay attention to that stuff more than actually watching the band.

I'm not saying I'm against it, I had plenty of fun doing that when I was younger. I guess I'm just an old fart now

Also, back when I first starting going to shows growing up, it was like an unwritten law not to wear the band's shirt to the show that you're going to see. Now when I go to shows I'd say that like 60-70% of the people are wearing the bands shirt.

All of this applies to me.  Lame as it is to admit, I don't recall a time that I've ever been into crowd-surfing, moshing, etc.  I don't think less of anyone who does it - so long as they're not hurting anyone else, or interfering with their ability to enjoy the show - but it's just not for me.  I'll sort of sway or bounce to the rhythm on most songs, but I'm typically so absorbed into the musicianship that I'm not overly animated.

sometimes I wear a flannel when I know I'm just gonna chill in the back and have a few beers. most of the time I wear a band shirt but not the band(s) that I'm about to see.

Oh, and I wear my old glasses if I go to a show were I know I might get pushed or whatever. Comfy shoes, always.

I agree with you on the earplugs though, Derek. I'm getting old and need to take care of my hearing.

Never listen to the band the day of either.

Oh and enough smokes just in case the openings bands suck and I go outside to wait until they're done.

This all sounds great to me, too.  I make it a point to keep my contacts in for the duration of the show, and only swap them out for glasses on the drive back home.  I probably don't attend as many shows as a lot of you do - and my hearing is fine, I suppose - but the earplugs are more of a precaution than anything else.

+1 for post-show In N' Out.

Few things hit the spot better.

- I don't listen to the band's music for about a week before the show. I feel like it's a prep cleanse to further enjoy the show when I do hear the songs I want to hear.

Off topic, but this is starting to become my unwritten rule towards online record purchases. Once I order it, I won't listen to it on my computer or phone until I have it in my hands and can spin it.

There are exceptions, especially now since I'll be a few months without a turntable, but it kind of adds to the excitement.

I wear whatever's comfortable, which is almost always a band shirt, and if I know I'm going to be in the front getting pushed around and covered in other people's sweat, I'll wear a shirt I don't really care about. The only thing not acceptable is wearing the shirt for the band you are seeing. Just no. Never. I was at Riot Fest this year and could not believe all the blink-182 shirts the day they played.

I will not listen to the bands I'm about to see on my drive there, but someone always ends up turning the band on for the ride home. Since rides home are usually talking, I'm fine with it as background noise. 

I'm past the whole wanting to get in the pit thing. I've crowd surfed a few times, and I thought it was cool, but I'm a bigger guy and kind of feel like an asshole when I remember those few times. Haha. I just remind myself that I would not want a 230 pound man being passed over me. 

As for merch, if I have some spare cash I'll pick up a record or a shirt. Or if an opening act I've never heard of really impresses me, I try to pick up their record or CD or whatever they have. 

I have a tendency to wear my shirts two days in a row before I consider them dirty. If I'm on the second day of wearing whatever shirt, I'll wear that to the show. Otherwise the last "dirtied" shirt is what I'll wear. I know It will end up smelling by the end anyway (hot venues, jerks tossing beer cans, etc). I always wear my contacts. I broke this rule once recently and wore glasses for Brainworms reunion show. Now I have new glasses.

I can't bring myself to start a mosh pit or be part of a tiny one. Also fuck wannabe kung fu slam dancers on the rare occasion I see them. I'll join a pit once it seems sizable and if the people are actually watching out for each other and the bystanders' well being. I couldn't stage dive/crowd surf even if I was only 100lb; the idea of me doing it makes me feel like a jerk for some reason. Never hated the people who do it though. Most times I'll just tap my foot, headbang, and sway like a half rhythm-less idiot.

I always drink between sets, and most times sketch because I'm an awkward loser. Oddly enough this get's people to want to talk to me which is even more awkward. I've been asked if I'm a reviewer for a zine or tattoo artist too many times. If I'm not sketching, I usually seem to attract the attention of weird guys who want to converse incoherently and be overly attached. Not sure what's up with that. There was a trainhopper who caught me once in conversation, though, and that was actually pretty interesting.

Sounds like a Dave Matthews show to remember.

Try "aviators & no shirt". I personally wore a Mountain.com giant T-Rex with lightning shirt to last year's DMB show.

But to contribute to the thread, I'm big on the "don't wear the merch of the band you're seeing". I hate when people throw on the tour merch THEY JUST BOUGHT.

Also, setlist.fm tends to diminish the "awe" effect of shows if I religiously check a band's setlist throughout their tour before I see them. But it's really hard to stay away from.

But to contribute to the thread, I'm big on the "don't wear the merch of the band you're seeing". I hate when people throw on the tour merch THEY JUST BOUGHT.

Also, setlist.fm tends to diminish the "awe" effect of shows if I religiously check a band's setlist throughout their tour before I see them. But it's really hard to stay away from.

Haha, yeah, I see a lot of the whole I just bought a new shirt, guess I've gotta' show it off now and wear it at shows.  I don't really get it.  The exception to this is being drenched in sweat at the end of a show, and buying a new shirt to immediately swap out for the ride home.  I've got a friend who's done this more than once, and I can't say I blame him at all.

Also totally forgot about setlists.  I treat them pretty seriously.  For me, hearing what the band has in store - especially for encores or something - is akin to hearing the ending of a movie you care about, well before it's over.  I'm not into it at all.  I'll go out of my way to avoid setlists or discuss the band with friends who've caught them earlier in the tour.

Juan comes pretty close to mine...

I wear stuff I'll be comfortable in, but is likely somewhat related to the band I'm seeing. I'll only wear my battle vest at metal shows. The only time I'll wear a shirt of the band I'm seeing is the Queers, and it's a 1994 shirt.

I do listen to the bands I'm seeing. Partly to get me pumped, partly because if my wife is going, she may not be super familiar. 

I always say I'll bring earplugs. Sometimes I remember, sometimes I forget.

If it's a  band I love, I'm right up front, pit or no.

If it's a band I love, I'll always buy something, just to keep them going. 

I'm always drunk. But never too much to remember. 

Juan, I'll see you at Deafheaven? I'll buy the first round.

I'll be the guy not wearing a Deafheaven shirt.

Oh & how have we gone this far without mentioning "guy who screams 'Play this song!!' "after EVERY song played that isn't said song? I'll admit I've yelled out a song before (in my younger days) but was never persistent. Thrice fans know every show has "Deadbolt" guy. It's worst when it's a small, intimate venue where the band is about 10 feet away & trying to just chat with the audience between songs. I just don't get being that deliberate of an a-hole.

Interesting topic

When I was heavy into concerts during the late 90's early 2ks I wore cargo shorts and a shirt of a similar sounding band to the one I was seeing and Doc martens. Example.. If it was to see nofx I would wear a lagwagon shirt, less than jake I would have catch 22 on. I wore airwalks to my 1st concert and had my feet stomped so many times I changed to doc martens and saved my feet.

Oh & how have we gone this far without mentioning "guy who screams 'Play this song!!' "after EVERY song played that isn't said song? I'll admit I've yelled out a song before (in my younger days) but was never persistent. Thrice fans know every show has "Deadbolt" guy. It's worst when it's a small, intimate venue where the band is about 10 feet away & trying to just chat with the audience between songs. I just don't get being that deliberate of an a-hole.

Last show I went to, a guy yelled out a request for a song that had already been played.

That was pretty classic.