Show / Concert Etiquette

Oh & how have we gone this far without mentioning "guy who screams 'Play this song!!' "after EVERY song played that isn't said song? I'll admit I've yelled out a song before (in my younger days) but was never persistent. Thrice fans know every show has "Deadbolt" guy. It's worst when it's a small, intimate venue where the band is about 10 feet away & trying to just chat with the audience between songs. I just don't get being that deliberate of an a-hole.

These people are the worst.  The persistent ones, anyway.  99% of the time, a band has given their setlist a considerable amount of consideration and planning.  They're not going to adjust it on the fly, and they're certainly not going to revise it after you've made your request clear after every song.

And while I do appreciate some good banter or discussion between a band and the crowd - especially at smaller shows - I don't really dig that one guy who does his best to get everyone's attention by shouting ridiculous things at the band.  Usually in an attempt be funny, but it just comes off as obnoxious and try-hard.

I try to show the opening bands that I appreciate them. I always clap after songs, even if I don't enjoy the band very much. When I saw the Postal Service this summer Baths opened the show and I was embarrassed with all the people talking right through the songs telling all their friends how much this band sucks. I understand that Baths isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I wish people would show a little respect. The opener's set is going to last 30 minutes. You can shut up and listen, and if you don't like it, move to the back of the venue and chat. Nobody wants to hear you whine about how you just can't wait for the main band to play. I'd hate to drive 8 hours to play a show and have everyone in the audience just chatting the whole time.

If it's a smaller venue I always try and say thanks to the musicians personally. If I can't say thanks at the show I always try to send them a tweet saying thanks.

^^ I'm with ya on opening bands. I always give them a shot and listen and show some support. Especially if it's bands I never heard of.

I really get pissed when everyone hangs out outside for the opening bands and only comes inside for the headliner.

I'm not saying I like every opening bad, but you should at least support the local scene. 

Some times you're pleasantly surprised.

I fucking love this thread.  I feel like as I get older I've become more cynical and asshole(y) and pissed when people "break the rules".

1.  Don't wear the band of the shirt you're going to see.

2.  Don't buy a shirt of a band you're seeing and PUT IT ON.  Especially before they go on, my god.

3.  STOP TAKING PICTURES WITH YOUR PHONE.

4.  STOP TAKING VIDEO WITH YOUR PHONE YOU SERIOUSLY ARE GOING TO PUT IT ON INSTAGRAM AND NEVER LISTEN AGAIN.

5.  Any shouting of freebird.

6.  Screaming during the quiet, solo parts.

7.  Drunk people who won't shut the fuck up during an acoustic set.  This happens at Kevin Devine shows a lot for whatever reason.

8.  Stage divers who think it's okay to walk up to the singers microphone, put their hand around him, high five him ( I was at one of the BTMI last shows and someone tried to get a high five from Jeff while he was singing.  He looked at him but did NOT high five him. ).  Move the fuck to the side of the stage if you're waiting for a good time to jump.

9.  People who throw shoes. :(

69. ( taco bell / diner, for us east coasters. necessary ).

If people put their iphones away though, I could really deal with everything else here.

The "talking during songs" is the absolute worst. WTF did you pay money for if you just wanted to chat the whole time? Go to a fucking Starbucks for free.

Saw City & Colour last year at HOB Cleveland & it was so bad that Dallas Green actually had to ask people to quiet down so people could enjoy the show. Freaking embarrassing.

The "talking during songs" is the absolute worst. WTF did you pay money for if you just wanted to chat the whole time? Go to a fucking Starbucks for free.

Saw City & Colour last year at HOB Cleveland & it was so bad that Dallas Green actually had to ask people to quiet down so people could enjoy the show. Freaking embarrassing.

Dallas Green did that at a show here years ago. He actually told the people talking to "shut the fuck up"

The talking during the opening acts especially gets me too. It's crazy how disrespectful some people are sometimes.

I wouldn't exactly call these rules. Too oppressive man (/"PC Police")

Agree on the notion it is lame to wear a band's T-shirt to the show. Especially like Jacob said when people buy it at the merch table and put it on. I mean if you go to the shows we're all generally talking about you certainly have another band T-shirt to wear or you are likely over band T-shirts

Agree on the notion of avoiding listening to the band on the way to their show. I'd imagine there is other music that excites you at the present moment.

Agree that it is an absolute dick move to talk loudly during acoustic performances, especially near the stage. This happens at way too many acoustic shows I see.

The same 5 people crowd surfing all throughout the show deserve a special place in hell if I believed in it.

Good god those people who consistently rush the stage and step on the performers petals and shit.

As for opening acts I have to admit it depends on my mood or where I was coming from. Sometimes I'm interested in checking them out, sometimes you know what the band will most likely sound like by their name. If I check them out, I pay attention and clap when they finish.

Earplugs. ALWAYS EARPLUGS. (A CBGB show taught me what it was like to be hearing impaired for a day.) Even spent $150 on custom earplugs from the audiologist. They were amazing....crystal clear filters. It was like everything you wanted and needed to hear just turned down. Then I got molested by security at Terminal 5 and somehow they weren't in my jacket when the show started. Fuck everything about that place. I'll buy a new pair someday.

I find myself at my local venues more often than not now finding the best view away from the crowd. Running to corners where I won't be bothered by said annoying people. I have certain spots at certain venues. No fucks given.

The t-shirt ones are the same for me. Personally never wear shorts, even in summer as I don't want beer or shit off the floor all over my legs. Then usually just a t-shirt and whatever jacket/hoodie I can find.

As I'm cynical and old before my time I always complain about kids being shit and tend to stand around the back and just enjoy it. If its a band I'm super into I MIGHT go down the front or if I'm hammered at a festival I might stagedive, this happened a lot at groezrock last year, especially for Kid Dynamite & Comeback Kid. The UK has a epidemic of "crowd killing" at the moment at hardcore shows, which fucking sucks. That never used to happen. If someone tries to hit me / kick back at me when I'm standing / get caught around the pit, they will get put on their arse. Honestly don't understand it at all.

Others ones are;

If we're travelling south, we always stop at the same service station for a maxibon (ice cream thing).

Person in the passenger seat / driver gets DJ rights on the journey. (band we're going to see is not allowed on)

Someone claiming they're "not coming out of mosh retirement" and then does, owes everyone else in the car a drink of some sorts.

One bite double cheeseburger challenge

Oh my god, people really care a lot about tshirts. Wear whatever the fuck you want; nobody's looking anyway. Better yet just pull a Louie CK and look as unassuming as possible.

The only rule I have is I don't stand on the floor. Like somebody said up thread, I go to a lot of shows that attract teenagers and I don't want to be shoved by a 16 year old kid or responsible for a 14 year old girl crowd surfing. Luckily the Philly metro venues all have either a bar and/or a balcony where I can relax and enjoy the big picture. And most importantly, I can sit! I'm not in great health and standing on a slanted floor for four hours with no movement isn't realistic for me. The TLA is my perfect venue, because it has a side bar with a bartop which faces the stage. Crock Rock in Allentown is a close second.

The energy is a cool compliment to the musicians, but at this point in my life I pay money so I can see musicians make music in person. Therefore I don't want to talk about a band to whomever I'm with, UNLESS they're a musician and we can dissect the performance at a technical level. But usually I just want to sit and enjoy some cold drinks. The same goes for post-show conversation -- unless you can describe what you liked and didn't like in a technical manner then I'm not into it.

The final thing that bugs me is when people call a show a "concert." I like to distinguish concerts as a more formal event where both the performers and audience expect a higher degree of musical understanding. People like Bela Flek concerts because they want to watch Victor Wooten tear up the bass, and such an audience is more musically adept. Most of the audience at a Senses Fail show don't understand or care about what the band is doing -- it's distorted guitar, Buddy singing, and a lot of kids pushing one another.

The UK has a epidemic of "crowd killing" at the moment at hardcore shows, which fucking sucks

This shit it the worst. It's been around forever, though I haven't really experienced it much since around 2004-2007ish when I went to metalcore/hardcore shows. Although I went to see Shai Hulud a couple years ago and got knocked out (briefly) during Palehorse's set from someone doing that shit. I got back up, spit out a bunch of blood in the bathroom, and was back to shout every word during the SH set, but still, it was annoying.

The only rule you need for going to shows (and living life really) is "Don't be a dick." Just don't be a dick. If no one is being a dick then everyone is going to have a good time.

This shit it the worst. It's been around forever, though I haven't really experienced it much since around 2004-2007ish when I went to metalcore/hardcore shows. Although I went to see Shai Hulud a couple years ago and got knocked out (briefly) during Palehorse's set from someone doing that shit. I got back up, spit out a bunch of blood in the bathroom, and was back to shout every word during the SH set, but still, it was annoying.

The only rule you need for going to shows (and living life really) is "Don't be a dick." Just don't be a dick. If no one is being a dick then everyone is going to have a good time.

Fuck man, least you got back out! I've been going to Metalcore / Hardcore shows since around '04 and it's only in the last 2 years or so I've seen it. It's always the scrawny kids in mosh shorts and bobble hats as well. Fair enough someone bumping or falling into you but to blindside punch or swing is just fucked. Happened to me watching terror at groezrock in 2012, I shook it off, turned the guy round, asked him what the fuck and he went to swing at me again so I straight up headbutted him. Probably shouldn't of done it but it serves him right!

A lot of spot on comments here.  

Openly talking shit about an opening band or a just a band you don't like while they're playing is a huge pet peeve of mine.  Most of the time those playing can easily pick out shit talkers on body language alone and lead to a serious buzzkill. Respect is apparently out of style. 

I rarely jump in the pit, but most of the time people understand the code of the fallen comrade or what have you.  Pick them the fuck up.  Don't deliberately try to harm someone (unless they have a swaztika tattooed on their chest all American History X style and are punching 'faggots'.  A face beating is necessary there. Experienced that at a Terror concert.  Whoever put Cannibal Corpse after Terror had no idea how those fanbases would clash..)  

Also, knock a full beer out of someones hands, buy them a new beer.  Just cuz.. be nice.  Yeah.  Throwing beer is a waste of a good beer, but I dunno. There's a time and a place where throwing a full beer has seemed fitting. ;) Just don't throw glass bottles..