Dookie turned 20 today.

I wrote the lyrics from "Basket Case" inside my youth group study bible, and signed it a "William Joseph Armstrong" to somehow make it look more historical in case the youth pastor ever saw it. (I believe I also wrote the lyrics to the Presidents Of The United States of America's "Peaches" in the same bible. I was a weird kid.)

Hahaha yes. I also remember obsessing over that POTUSA album and the Violent Femmes CD around the same time as Dookie..

(99.9 the Buzz!)

I can hear the dj yelling that in to the radio, along with a horn, and a sound byte of a toilet flushing.

I traded a friend of mine the Lion King soundtrack for this in grade school.  

I loved having older brothers who skated.  Sooo much great music went through my earholes in the late '80s/early '90s.

The day Ry is sXe is the day I believe he didnt steal that logo from Punk.

Also, this was the first cd I ever owned. I still think it is a great album (as is Insomniac). I got off the Green Day train though when I bought a bootleg live cd when I went to spain in 2002 and listened to it for the entire 10 hour plane flight back because the girl next to me was super annoying. After that I couldnt tolerate Green Day.

98% of the people wouldn't be on this board if it weren't for this album.

Something was going to hit big from the "punk" world - but without this hitting first Smash wouldn't have taken off, leading to all the Epitaph stuff hitting, which led to everything else....

I had it on tape, then CD a couple of weeks later. We didn't get the brown disc tray in Canada though, very disappointing. I went to see them in November '94 at the CNE Arena in Toronto as my first concert without parent accompaniment - I wore a Penn State sweatshirt inside out, because I thought it would look cool with the concert shirt I bought over top. The openers were Pansy Division and Die Toten Hosen, which both affected my world view/music view. When I got this, and then Smash, all the Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Stone Temple Pilots joined the Motley Crue/Kiss/Aerosmith Tapes and CDs in the back of the closet.

Saw them twice on this tour and once before. The show in 94 at City Gardens still stands as a top-5 show of all time. Despite what a wuss BJ became I remember how NJ had an ice storm the night before with some areas getting several inches - the roads were insane. A huge brawl broke out and BJ yelling that no one fought at Green Day shows jumped off the stage to help the crowd push the rumble out a side door into the ice and close it behind them. He got back on stage and picked up like he didn't miss a beat. 

The second time I saw them on that tour they played in Asbury and it was considerably bigger. MTV was there to film a piece about Green Day and the Bouncing Souls opened. The old crossed-out MTV logo was everywhere thanks to the Souls: Shirts and patches everywhere. That was the moment MTV became aware of that logo and issued a threat of action that lead to the Souls dropping that. 

So in some ways you can blame Green Day's embrace of MTV for being the end.

Anyway, after seeing what they were and what they became it was never the same for me. Not to say they didn't make some cool music but there was a moment in time when I couldn't imagine anything cooler than what this band was doing. 

Amazing. Back when I played little league hockey (Im Canadian), would have been 1995, 96, 97, our team captain always brought a little speaker system to the games and we would play this every game while we got dressed on cassette. We graduated to the CD player in the late 90s & 2000s. If I still played hockey, I'd want Dookie as dressing room music. Thanks for posting this

This does make me feel really old, but at the same time reminds me that this is one of 3 albums that I listened to in the summer of 94 that opened my ears up to a whole brand new world of music.  It was like I was hearing music for the first time ever.  Happy anniversary Dookie!

Saw them twice on this tour and once before. The show in 94 at City Gardens still stands as a top-5 show of all time. Despite what a wuss BJ became I remember how NJ had an ice storm the night before with some areas getting several inches - the roads were insane. A huge brawl broke out and BJ yelling that no one fought at Green Day shows jumped off the stage to help the crowd push the rumble out a side door into the ice and close it behind them. He got back on stage and picked up like he didn't miss a beat. 

The second time I saw them on that tour they played in Asbury and it was considerably bigger. MTV was there to film a piece about Green Day and the Bouncing Souls opened. The old crossed-out MTV logo was everywhere thanks to the Souls: Shirts and patches everywhere. That was the moment MTV became aware of that logo and issued a threat of action that lead to the Souls dropping that. 

So in some ways you can blame Green Day's embrace of MTV for being the end.

Anyway, after seeing what they were and what they became it was never the same for me. Not to say they didn't make some cool music but there was a moment in time when I couldn't imagine anything cooler than what this band was doing. 

Ah yes, the show at the "Stone Pony Big Top" where they basically put up a circus tent in the parking lot.