Dookie turned 20 today.

I love this album. It will forever remind me of being about 16 years old. Nirvana had already blazed this path in my life as far as learning about an underground band's history once they hit the mainstream and all that. But this was still pretty major. My friends were even more into it than me. I remember we kind of snuck up to Cleveland to see them without telling anyone because they were playing for free. We somehow ended up in the front row but off to the side of the stage. The band was right in front of us, poking their heads over the fence and taunting us and spitting at us and dumb shit like that. Collective Soul played and were pretty good, even though I wasn't really a fan. But then Green Day never played. I was bummed, my friends were irate. Some girls next to us had driven six hours from Chicago to see the show. One of them had a broken leg. I'm sure they had to be mad. On our way out, we heard something about it being cancelled due to too many people showing up but we couldn't tell from where we were. Although it was obviously very packed. There was also talk of there being a riot of some sort, but we also didn't see any evidence of that. Not a very interesting story but since you're in Cleveland these days, I figured I'd share it. 

Well, I'll be damned, I actually found a story about it.

Green Day in Cleveland

WMMS-FM's first free Buzzard-Palooza festival was held in July 1994, coinciding with the city's River Expo festival in The Flats district. The all-day concert was co-headlined by then-upstarts Collective Soul and Green Day, who drew a mob of attendees much larger than the venue's capacity of 5,000. "I was at that 'free' show that Green Day was supposed to play at Nautica in Cleveland ... turns out there was a riot outside (with) people trying to get in," says former Clevelander Deanna Turlo. "We never realized it while we were sitting there waiting."

A mob of fans wishing to enter the venue was turned away, which incited a rock-and-bottle-throwing melee. Frustrated fans began pouring into the venue over the walls. Police entered Nautica in riot gear and pulled the plug just as Green Day took the stage. Two months later, the band made good at Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls-for a scant $5 admission-and fans carried on their insurrection by destroying the venue's lawn. This time, however, the show carried on.

http://voices.yahoo.com/notable-ohio-concerts-shut-down-nearly-so-law-5779154.html

This is the album that really got me hooked on music. I still remember walking around the elementary school playground and singing the lyrics to "having a blast" entirely from memory since I didn't have a "walkmen" at the time. 

I also remember my friends not being able to listen to this record, but my parents were pretty oblivious to the lyrics thankfully haha. Although I also remember putting the lyrics to "basket case" on my bedroom wall, and not realizing at the time what "Or am I just stoned" meant, haha good times! 

This is the album that really got me hooked on music. I still remember walking around the elementary school playground and singing the lyrics to "having a blast" entirely from memory since I didn't have a "walkmen" at the time. 

I also remember my friends not being able to listen to this record, but my parents were pretty oblivious to the lyrics thankfully haha. Although I also remember putting the lyrics to "basket case" on my bedroom wall, and not realizing at the time what "Or am I just stoned" meant, haha good times! 

I wrote the lyrics from "Basket Case" inside my youth group study bible, and signed it a "William Joseph Armstrong" to somehow make it look more historical in case the youth pastor ever saw it. (I believe I also wrote the lyrics to the Presidents Of The United States of America's "Peaches" in the same bible. I was a weird kid.)

Is the guy with a cm punk avatar complaining about green day?

1. that's my logo, not punk's

2. is there a dot i'm not connecting?

3. american idiot is the biggest pile of shit i've ever had to hear. fewer things in the history of music that i've lived through have been more infuriating than that time that green day and u2 were considered musical gods decades after they made any good music.

4. dookie does kick ass. no frontin'

1. that's my logo, not punk's

2. is there a dot i'm not connecting?

3. american idiot is the biggest pile of shit i've ever had to hear. fewer things in the history of music that i've lived through have been more infuriating than that time that green day and u2 were considered musical gods decades after they made any good music.

4. dookie does kick ass. no frontin'

You have a logo?

When I was 4 or 5 years old, I heard Welcome to Paradise on the radio (99.9 the Buzz!) and thought it was the coolest thing. Asked my dad for a blank cassette and would sit in my room waiting for another Green Day song to come on, ready to press record on my boombox.

Eventually I saved up enough allowance money, had my dad bring me to the nearest Best Buy, and bought Dookie, "the one with Welcome to Paradise on it". Listened to that CD so many times.

Then one day mom mother decided she wanted to check out what this new CD was that I was listening to so much, she listened and read the lyrics and threw the CD out because it "wasn't appropriate for me". So the next time my dad brought me to Best Buy, he bought me another copy and said to not tell mom what it was.

All in all, first album I ever purchased with my own money and was able to call my own. Still have that original CD (well, the second one), plus two other copies (one with Ernie, one without) since it got scratched up bad from use and a cassette because I wanted to listen to it in the car (but not when mom was along for the ride of course).

First band that I actually used my own time to listen to. My brother got Dookie in one of those "only a quarter for a CD!" scams (along with Toxicity and Iowa) and I loved it, so I immediately bought American Idiot, and here I am now. I also bought Poodle Hat by Weird Al in the same trip to the Best Buy. 

Anyone else remember watching this MTV concert religiously?

I remember seeing that on TV when it came out and taping it when I was around 10. I made a decision to watch it everyday after school for the rest of my life, that lasted a good two months. But also I was so excited to hear songs that weren't on Dookie I remember begging my mom to take me to the one music store in town to see if they had any other Green Day cds. She bought me Kerplunk and I listened to the shit out of that album!