iPod shit the bed, need some help.

diabretic

Anyone ever tried to retrieve songs off a corrupted iPod, and actually had success? I tried one program last night, but it sucked. I have all my music up until like a year ago backed up, but it would be so much easier if I could just get all of it off the iPod. Any help will be appreciated.

Do you know exactly what failed? If it's a classic then you could remove the drive and put it in a new body, although it's somewhat difficult. The only postmortem iPod/phone tricks I know of are wiping the device, not retrieving data. I've been down this same road, since that kerfuffle I started backing up my music in 3s, one on site, one off site, and one in the cloud.

It's a classic 120gb, and it boots up and works, but says that I have no music. But under the settings it shows that the space on the HD is taken up. My googling told me it was pretty much toast, but that I might be able get the music. I just don't know which program to use. The one I tried last night pulled some of the music off, but most of it was in like random clips of the songs instead of the whole song.

Are you on a PC? I had an iPod ages ago, and used Anapod Explorer to browse it through Windows Explorer instead of having to deal with iTunes. It doesn't look like it's been updated in years, but might not hurt to give it a try.

Unrelated - spent a winter in North Pole in my youth and a few summers in Denali. Alaska rules.

It sounds to me like it's a missing or corrupt iTunesDB on the iPod.  That's the issue I ran across when the space was being used by music, but the iPod wasn't recognizing it.  Under Linux, I would use GTKPod to scan the files on the iPod and rebuild the database.  I'm not sure what a Windows or OSX equivalent would be.  Possibly Media Monkey?

Have you tried mounting it as a drive and seeing if you can extra the raw files??

Pulling the files off directly would probably work.  The only issue is that when music is loaded onto the iPod, iTunes renames them and spans them across a directory structure.  So you end up with a bunch of mp3s split across folders with nonsensical names.  If everything is ID3 tagged properly, you can tell what's what, it's just a pain in the ass.

It sounds to me like it's a missing or corrupt iTunesDB on the iPod.  That's the issue I ran across when the space was being used by music, but the iPod wasn't recognizing it.  Under Linux, I would use GTKPod to scan the files on the iPod and rebuild the database.  I'm not sure what a Windows or OSX equivalent would be.  Possibly Media Monkey?

Pulling the files off directly would probably work.  The only issue is that when music is loaded onto the iPod, iTunes renames them and spans them across a directory structure.  So you end up with a bunch of mp3s split across folders with nonsensical names.  If everything is ID3 tagged properly, you can tell what's what, it's just a pain in the ass.

I would assume if the ID3 tags are at least correct, a service like Google Play Music would correctly label the tracks in the database once unloaded. I almost wonder if downloading the content you've uploaded would "correct" the file names(which you're allowed to do with GPM a specific amount of times).

I would assume if the ID3 tags are at least correct, a service like Google Play Music would correctly label the tracks in the database once unloaded. I almost wonder if downloading the content you've uploaded would "correct" the file names(which you're allowed to do with GPM a specific amount of times).

I'm not really sure.  I messed around with GPM when it was in beta and haven't really explored past that.  I'd be surprised if there wasn't a media player that had a feature like that built in.  I think at that point it comes down to whether it's less trouble to try to save everything and sort through it or just redownload it again.

It looks like Media Monkey will rebuild your database on the iPod : http://crittica.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/how-to-repair-ipods-database/.%C2'> I'd suggest trying that.

Thanks for all the advice, the anapod explorer is currrently pulling my music off of it. I have my hopes up that it will work, but I ran a program last night and like I said earlier all the songs were fucked up. We will see.

I can't imagine all the songs would be fucked up.  You might lose some, but unless the drive completely failed, you should be able to recover most of them.  Also, if the drive is in fact failing, your iPod's days are limited.  I've had two 160gb iPods fail to work properly due to hard drive issues, not much you can do except replace it.

I'm not really sure.  I messed around with GPM when it was in beta and haven't really explored past that.  I'd be surprised if there wasn't a media player that had a feature like that built in.  I think at that point it comes down to whether it's less trouble to try to save everything and sort through it or just redownload it again.

It looks like Media Monkey will rebuild your database on the iPod : I'd suggest trying that.

I can't imagine all the songs would be fucked up.  You might lose some, but unless the drive completely failed, you should be able to recover most of them.  Also, if the drive is in fact failing, your iPod's days are limited.  I've had two 160gb iPods fail to work properly due to hard drive issues, not much you can do except replace it.

Already bit the bullet on a new one, it's in the mail. I was really close to making the jump to 100% spotify on my phone, but I just couldn't. When this one I am getting bites the dust, I will most likely be done with iPods.

Throw that shit in the goddamed street.

Get one of those Sandisk Sansa Clip and forget about iTunes, synchronizing, not being able to copy files from it and so on.

They're well made, cheap,small, sound the same as an ipod, great battery life, you can play radio and you can expand their memories with microSD cards.

Already bit the bullet on a new one, it's in the mail. I was really close to making the jump to 100% spotify on my phone, but I just couldn't. When this one I am getting bites the dust, I will most likely be done with iPods.

I don't need too much music on the go these days, so I usually just fill my phone up and call it good.  I thought I'd miss having a dedicated portable music device, but I really haven't.

Throw that shit in the goddamed street.

Get one of those Sandisk Sansa Clip and forget about iTunes, synchronizing, not being able to copy files from it and so on.

They're well made, cheap,small, sound the same as an ipod, great battery life, you can play radio and you can expand their memories with microSD cards.

This might be the best suggestion here.