Ebays Global Shipping Program

My auction just ended and it says the item is eligible for the global shipping program.  to my understanding, once i receive a payment, i will get a notification and instead of sending my item all the way out to germany, i will just send it to a U.S. global shipping location and they will take care of the rest.

Who has used it? Is this correct?

i used this before. it has some method of routing it to the destination address. it's somewhere on the label...

it's great for the seller, though. you only pay domestic shipping to send it to a shipping hub in the U.S. the buyer pays the international shipping price, aka the price to get it from the shipping hub to them. saved me like $12 when sending something to canada (i don't think the buyer saves anything, though).

So I'm not following too well.

Say I charge $15 to ship overseas. I then spend $4 to ship it to the Ebay center...Am I pocketing $11, or are there more charges? Ebay has to be charging something to ship it for me, right?

The buyer sees a different price on their end (they also see the cost of shipping from the global center to them). If you're overcharging that much, don't expect good feedback.

It seems that ebay knows what the costs are and can just charge that person to ship from kentucky, that is at least where mine went, to the specific country. My package was labeled to a guy with a german sounding name and shipped to KY. Once they receive they must put own shipping/label on to ensure it gets to destination.

I sent my package out monday so we shall see when the guy gets it and leaves feedback.

My auction just ended and it says the item is eligible for the global shipping program.  to my understanding, once i receive a payment, i will get a notification and instead of sending my item all the way out to germany, i will just send it to a U.S. global shipping location and they will take care of the rest.

Who has used it? Is this correct?

Don't use it man... 

They will open the package and re box it the way they want. Don't use the GSP for records. Works good for clothes and stuff that is not fragile.

check it out here: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Packaging-Shipping/Has-the-Ebay-Global-Shipping-program-led-to-more-positive-or/td-p/16997243

There's also a YouTube rant against how Pitney Bowes runs it all.  

Again my conclusion is that this program is not good for records. Unless we can determine that Germany isn't one of the countries which require "inspection" I would not ship this out there man, you will lose your money or forced to accept a return for a damaged item.

From an overseas buyers perspective its an absolute rip off and a lot of people avoid auctions that use it.

I buy a lot of records from overseas, some I get charged customs fees for some I don't, the average is I get charged 1 in 10, but with this I get charged every one regardless of whether it would qualify to be charged in the first place.

Also it's more expensive than if I do get charged and it doesn't actually cover all the possible charges.

Don't use it man... 

They will open the package and re box it the way they want. Don't use the GSP for records. Works good for clothes and stuff that is not fragile.

check it out here: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Packaging-Shipping/Has-the-Ebay-Global-Shipping-program-led-to-more-positive-or/td-p/16997243

There's also a YouTube rant against how Pitney Bowes runs it all.  

Again my conclusion is that this program is not good for records. Unless we can determine that Germany isn't one of the countries which require "inspection" I would not ship this out there man, you will lose your money or forced to accept a return for a damaged item.

how so, if i take pics of my boxing and what not, i can't help what their program does after that.  plus its a boxset, so they can't hurt it all that much.

The only part I don't trust is the fact that yeah they could potentially unpack your way of packaging and just increases the risk of damages. Then (hypothetically) buyer claims you gave them damaged goods and demands refund of course eBay will side with them because of "description rules" but the risk of you losing a sale on this would be too much for me. Let's say they press you for a refund, you say, "ok send it back." but now you'll have damaged goods? 

Who knows if they'll unpack your stuff and just toss it in a larger unfitted box with some airbags at most for protection... 

Well I wish you the best of luck anyhow. Let us know how it goes. Box set should be ok... if it were a single LP rare ooo wee I couldn't imagine that.

From an overseas buyers perspective its an absolute rip off and a lot of people avoid auctions that use it.

I buy a lot of records from overseas, some I get charged customs fees for some I don't, the average is I get charged 1 in 10, but with this I get charged every one regardless of whether it would qualify to be charged in the first place.

Also it's more expensive than if I do get charged and it doesn't actually cover all the possible charges.

completely agree, as a Canadian buyer buying from the U.S. i often try to avoid auctions using the global shipping program, because its a rip off for the buyer

• 3 weeks later...

Because this was mentioned in another thread, I'm finally watching the rant video now. I kind of wish there was a poll here.

Do people on here who sell records internationally through ebay

1) send it themselves

2) use the Global Shipping Program

3) Don't sell on ebay internationally

Just curious. I also haven't sold on ebay in over a year after the huge international USPS increase. Anyone else with thoughts?

I recently bought an item on eBay and got fucked over by this stupid global shipping BS. 

Shipping on a 7" cost me $13.07 (US to Canada) and then another $9 and change for this global shipping. Unfortunately I can't use eBay any more if people start using this all the time.

I ship overseas all the time with ebay and this is the first I've heard of this program (good job ebay). I get maybe 2-3 complaints a year from overseas buyers (lost package or damage) out of the 100-200 packages I send out so I must be doing something right. This doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in at all, especially since they re-package everything.