Hurricane Irene

i hope everyone already got their mandatory 11 gallons of milk. Because nothing is needed more when the power goes out for days in august like lots of cool refreshing non-spoiling milk. You wouldn't want to go into milk withdrawl in a time like that...

on the serious side. I lived in NC when Flyod/Dennis came through. It's f'ed up most of eastern NC. When the storm hit i was in a second story restaurant watching jellyfish swim through the parking lot. The storm surge was crazy. Up in jersey the Raritan overflowed - Downtown New Brunswick was under feet of water. The water marks in downtown Green Brook were to the ceiling.

For Irene, at least in the upper Chesapeake Bay, the predicted surge and winds aren't too bad. But, who knows. We had to batten down the hatches at work, literally. My old roommates in south jersey are all headed westward. They say it's pandemonium - most were forced out this morning.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope everyone already got their mandatory 11 gallons of milk. Because nothing is needed more when the power goes out for days in august like lots of cool refreshing non-spoiling milk. You wouldn't want to go into milk withdrawl in a time like that...

Haha. Panic shopping. I just got home from the supermarket and there was no bottled water and no bread at all... Save a couple packages of hot dog buns and bagels. I also noticed that paper towels, prepackaged lunch meats, lactaid and 1% milk were all but gone. It's interesting to see what people buy in bulk when they're freaking out.

Haha. Panic shopping. I just got home from the supermarket and there was no bottled water and no bread at all... Save a couple packages of hot dog buns and bagels. I also noticed that paper towels, prepackaged lunch meats, lactaid and 1% milk were all but gone. It's interesting to see what people buy in bulk when they're freaking out.

Apu re-labeled cat food as "hurricane chow" and everyone in Springfield snatched it up.

why wouldnt you want to be prepared for anything that could happen? and yes being hit with shards of glass and wood or any other flying debris is a real possibility. they have been saying all day that once the hurricane hits they will not send out emergency personel to help anyone. so if the shit hits the fan you're on your own.

Do people really not have tweezers and band-aids in their house already? Maybe because my mom is a former ER nurse and my brother is an EMT, but shit, I always have plenty of stuff to take care of a variety of wounds. Pre-packaged first aid kits are a ripoff in the first place, but it's funny that people think there's something of dire importance inside before an emergency.

Every store in my area is sold out of flashlights, batteries, bottled water, and most foodstuffs. It's insanity and I think people are overreacting, at least in regards to what they're buying to prepare.

My house was hand-built by my father, and now 20 years later my attic bedroom tends to creak during high winds or rough storms, not to mention the rest of the house's foundation. We've never had a major problem before, no flooding or anything like that in the basement, but if winds stay as high as I've been hearing, I am definitely not sleeping in my bedroom. And will probably move my LP's out of there, too.

It's amazing, the chaos a little hurricane causes in the Northeast. I live a mile off the east coast of Florida and wouldn't even consider leaving my house for anything less than a Category 3 storm. Even then, I've been in this house through the 3 major storms we got in 2004 and honestly, those did less damage than T.S. Fay did 3 years ago when it dumped 27 inches of rain on us for 4 days.

It's amazing, the chaos a little hurricane causes in the Northeast. I live a mile off the east coast of Florida and wouldn't even consider leaving my house for anything less than a Category 3 storm. Even then, I've been in this house through the 3 major storms we got in 2004 and honestly, those did less damage than T.S. Fay did 3 years ago when it dumped 27 inches of rain on us for 4 days.

I'm not really going crazy here anymore, but you gotta consider 2 things.

1. NYC is overreacting because the day after Christmas blizzard was so bad and the city was caught off guard that the government got burned for their lack of response and preparation. Now their trying to save face in the event of another natural disaster.

2. Florida is used to hurricanes and generally buildings and houses are prepared for them whereas NYC infrastructure is not really equipped for hurricanes so there is reason for concern, not alarm though.

People have been killed by this storm already?

and the last one shouldn't even count. it was some dude boarding up his house before the hurricane, and had a heart attack.

Yeah that definitely doesn't count he probably was going to have a heart attack sooner or later anyway the stress probably just sped the process up.

Melbourne Represent! My first Hurricane was in Erin in 1994, and it came onshore near Vero Beach so Melbourne got the worst. But since it was a Cat 1, we got a crap ton of rain.

This isn't a bad hurricane, but it's atypical for it to go this far north and threaten metro hubs like NYC and Boston. That's why there's so much coverage. Plus, Libya must have quieted down because the news-makers need some drama to sell advertising.

The other message board I hang around these days is one for the Sabres, and it's funny that in their thread about Irene, they have almost the complete opposite attitude. This is awful, we're all going to die, it's serious, blahblahblah and here, while there's obviously a little respect, the attitude is much more cavalier.