Cleaning Your Records

Just bought a regular brush, 10 pack of replacement strips and a free sample of the solution.  All for $14.50 shipped.  Figured at that low of a price, couldn't hurt to try as a wet cleaning option.  Thanks for the rec.  Will probably combo this with a clothes steamer and see how the results go.

i doubt the clothes steamer would be necessary if you're already going to wet-clean the records. if you don't have a vacuum option, i would just dry them off with a new microfiber cloth that isn't used for anything else.

i doubt the clothes steamer would be necessary if you're already going to wet-clean the records. if you don't have a vacuum option, i would just dry them off with a new microfiber cloth that isn't used for anything else.

Id basically be using the steamer as a distilled rinse and maybe help loosen up some tough gunk before wiping dry with a micro-fiber brush.  I'll own a vacuum someday but that day is not yet near.

Id basically be using the steamer as a distilled rinse and maybe help loosen up some tough gunk before wiping dry with a micro-fiber brush.  I'll own a vacuum someday but that day is not yet near.

i always wet cleaned my records when they were giving me issues, sometimes it sounded like it helped, sometimes it didn't. but now that i've used the vpi, it scares the shit out of me to not use something similar when cleaning. ugh.

i always wet cleaned my records when they were giving me issues, sometimes it sounded like it helped, sometimes it didn't. but now that i've used the vpi, it scares the shit out of me to not use something similar when cleaning. ugh.

Yeah, I'm not paranoid about "ruining" my records by using other wet cleaning methods not named vacuum, that many others still continue to use and preach.  Using a vacuum is no doubt universally regarded as the best cleaning method, doesn't mean some proper alternative cleaning methods are going to destroy your records either.  Like with any new cleaning method, you've gotta experiment first with records you're willing to dump directly in the garbage.  I tested out the steamer on a few records, literally did no harm to the record or the label.  Now I have absolutely no qualms about using it on any of my records (though any hand-stamped labels, hand-written test press labels, etc... I'd still be cautious of).  My hope now is that the mint brush you've recommended, does a better job removing the dust found deep in the grooves.  The cleaning technique will probably go something like this.

Wet clean with mint brush and solution.

Steam rinse

Dry with micro fiber cloth

Dry clean with mint brush

Mint wont be shipping until April 5th, so I'll post results when I get it.

Wet clean with mint brush and solution.

Steam rinse

Dry with micro fiber cloth

Dry clean with mint brush

Mint wont be shipping until April 5th, so I'll post results when I get it.

Only problem is, if you wet clean with the mint brush, it takes a long time to dry. I would use a different brush for dry cleaning and just use the mint for wet cleaning.

Only problem is, if you wet clean with the mint brush, it takes a long time to dry. I would use a different brush for dry cleaning and just use the mint for wet cleaning.

Good point.  I'll use my mapleshade brush as a dry brush instead.  Depending on how effective the mint brush is, I may end up buying a 2nd one for dry cleaning purposes.

Yeh wet cleaning without a vacuum seems redundant. Because you'll still spread dirt when you wipe em.

Technically its not redundant if the record is cleaner after a cleaning than it was before a cleaning.  Again, without a vacuum, no cleaning process is perfect, though to say it doesn't help at all is obviously a little overboard.

The record shop in an area I used to live cleaned all their pre-owned items on a VPI 16.5. Made everything super quiet with almost no surface noise at all.

I've tried wet cleaning on my own without a vacuum RCM (AudioTechnica velvet brush/cleaner combo, mind you) and while it helps with skipping records, it always adds surface noise. I'm no scientist and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but in my experience there's definitely some credence to what ajxd is saying.

The record shop in an area I used to live cleaned all their pre-owned items on a VPI 16.5. Made everything super quiet with almost no surface noise at all.

I've tried wet cleaning on my own without a vacuum RCM (AudioTechnica velvet brush/cleaner combo, mind you) and while it helps with skipping records, it always adds surface noise. I'm no scientist and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but in my experience there's definitely some credence to what ajxd is saying.

So what you both are saying is that if you don't own a vacuum, don't bother wasting your time cleaning your records?  Simple logic tells me that even if only 10% gets cleaned up without a vacuum, it's still 10% cleaner than it was before.

he's saying wet cleaning without a vacuum can help in extreme cases, but it does add surface noise.

I've never once noticed an increase in surface noise after a wet clean.  I've also never completely gotten rid of it either after a wet clean.  I've seen surface noise become reduced though.

I get the whole "I can't live without my vacuum ideology", I see it all the time and I understand why those who custy up $500 to get one, feel that way.  To think that cleaning your records without one is counter-productive though, is silly nonsense.

This link provides a money back guarantee that this product will give a better clean than a VPI vacuum.  This process does not include a vacuum step in its cleaning process either.  Even if it isn't better than a VPI vacuum (don't know because I've never tried either), it kind of shows the point that your records can still possibly sound better than they were before with just a wet clean, a steam and hand dry.  Which is why I'm willing to try the mint brush with the mint solution and my hand-held clothes steamer and see if I'm getting better results.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/products.asp?dept=119

Their posts neglect variables. What solution was used with the VPI? What brush? Also I love they are selling you a sponge (sorry, applicator) and microfiber towels.

"Includes one bottle of Deep Rinse Additive ($35), one bottle of Scuzzbuster Pre-Cleaner with applicator ($45), one microfiber cleaning block, two microfiber drying clothes, and one terry cloth backing pad."

For $115... $80 of which is the cleaners, and a sponge... so $35 is towels? Which they sell separately for $15... HEY WAIT A MINUTE.

Their posts neglect variables. What solution was used with the VPI? What brush? Also I love they are selling you a sponge (sorry, applicator) and microfiber towels.

"Includes one bottle of Deep Rinse Additive ($35), one bottle of Scuzzbuster Pre-Cleaner with applicator ($45), one microfiber cleaning block, two microfiber drying clothes, and one terry cloth backing pad."

For $115... $80 of which is the cleaners, and a sponge... so $35 is towels? Which they sell separately for $15... HEY WAIT A MINUTE.

Yeah, there's no reason to buy the bundle, especially if you've got microfiber towels already.  I'm not buying that product, point is that it is possible you can get your records cleaner than they were before without a vacuum, which I feel is the point (unbelievably) getting argued here.

I think you're only arguing with yourself here. I never said "cleaning something 10%" is useless. I said its redundant. Because why clean something half way? I, nor anyone else said, it didn't say it wouldn't make a difference...

he's saying wet cleaning without a vacuum can help in extreme cases, but it does add surface noise.

I think you're only arguing with yourself here. I never said "cleaning something 10%" is useless. I said its redundant. Because why clean something half way? I, nor anyone else said, it didn't say it wouldn't make a difference...

did you quote the wrong post? i wasn't arguing with anyone. i was clarifying (not necessarily agreeing) with what i think kidamnesiac was saying.

My god, people.  You can build a pretty decent DIY vacuum system for vinyl cleaning for about $20.  Two paint pads, PVC pipe or a shop vac extension wand, and some duct tape.  Of course, you need a vacuum as well, but anything will do, as long as it has decent suction and a place for a hose extension.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=394993

I built one and it works pretty damn well.  Paint pads are surprisingly effective, but if you don't want to use them, I'm sure you could fashion something with mo-fi pads or similar.

Only downside?  Manual is a drag.

My god, people. You can build a pretty decent DIY vacuum system for vinyl cleaning for about $20. Two paint pads, PVC pipe or a shop vac extension wand, and some duct tape. Of course, you need a vacuum as well, but anything will do, as long as it has decent suction and a place for a hose extension.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=394993

I built one and it works pretty damn well. Paint pads are surprisingly effective, but if you don't want to use them, I'm sure you could fashion something with mo-fi pads or similar.

Only downside? Manual is a drag.

Threw away my old vacuum a few months ago and got a Dyson. Wish I had kept the old one. Oh well. Yeah, the DIY route is definitely where Im going to go with this. Ive got an old TT I'll use to spin while cleaning

Andy, since you have a VPI, I'm curious what results you see with certain type of scratches? I know once something is scratched, there's really no repairing. But does a good cleaning in a VPI smooth out the scratch and save the life of a stylus and also get rid of the skip depending the depth of said scratch?

Also, can I trade you records instead of a $1 for payment :)