Cleaning Your Records

No offense, but I've been seeing this wood glue method mentioned quite a few times here and, while I'm sure it works out good, it just sounds like a dumbass way to clean your records.  Seriously, if some folks on here that are using this wood glue method are only doing it because they can't afford a proper cleaning machine, if you'd stop buying media for a month or so, you could easily afford a KAB EV-1 and I promise you'd never go back to wood glue again.

I've had some pretty awful, noisy records come my way and the EV-1 works fantastic to clean them up and get rid of most, if not all, of the surface noise.

I'm stumped and yes I'd be a tad miffed too, all I can say is those pops and cracks must be physical damage rather than dirt. The point of the glue method is that it gets deep into the grooves and when you peel it of it takes the dirt with it, but it can only remove dirt not physical damage.

Right on. I appreciate the effort in helping anyways :) Could very well be that these records were just beyond saving.

No offense, but I've been seeing this wood glue method mentioned quite a few times here and, while I'm sure it works out good, it just sounds like a dumbass way to clean your records.  Seriously, if some folks on here that are using this wood glue method are only doing it because they can't afford a proper cleaning machine, if you'd stop buying media for a month or so, you could easily afford a KAB EV-1 and I promise you'd never go back to wood glue again.

I've had some pretty awful, noisy records come my way and the EV-1 works fantastic to clean them up and get rid of most, if not all, of the surface noise.

I own a VPI 16.5 but I figured I'd try the wood glue thing more or less for the hell of it.

The wood glue method is used by the BBC in the UK who know a thing or two about sound reproduction, I don't think they pioneered it but they certainly use it to good effect and have been doing so for many many years.

I have a couple of vacuum cleaning machines as well, I have an Okki Nokki and a Keith Monks, use Art Du Son cleaning fluid, have many years experience with them and own a lot of vinyl.

As with most things in audio just because something costs more it doesn't necessarily make it more effective. I am lucky enough to be able to afford all this but when I need to I use wood glue through choice and for really dirty records its unbeatable

The wood glue method is used by the BBC in the UK who know a thing or two about sound reproduction, I don't think they pioneered it but they certainly use it to good effect and have been doing so for many many years.

I have a couple of vacuum cleaning machines as well, I have an Okki Nokki and a Keith Monks, use Art Du Son cleaning fluid, have many years experience with them and own a lot of vinyl.

As with most things in audio just because something costs more it doesn't necessarily make it more effective. I am lucky enough to be able to afford all this but when I need to I use wood glue through choice and for really dirty records its unbeatable

Fair enough.  I can't protest to know how well the wood glue method works because i've never done it. How long does that overall process take?  I saw someone said you have to give it time to dry sufficiently, that's gotta take at least a few hours.  I suppose in cases of a really really dirty record that I wanted to be clean, I'd give it a shot if it worked better than a vacuum cleaner.  I guess I just made the assumption that this was the only method you guys were using without considering that you also have other cleaners for smaller jobs, like cleaning a newly pressed record for example.

Fair enough.  I can't protest to know how well the wood glue method works because i've never done it. How long does that overall process take?  I saw someone said you have to give it time to dry sufficiently, that's gotta take at least a few hours.  I suppose in cases of a really really dirty record that I wanted to be clean, I'd give it a shot if it worked better than a vacuum cleaner.  I guess I just made the assumption that this was the only method you guys were using without considering that you also have other cleaners for smaller jobs, like cleaning a newly pressed record for example.

When I first read about it, it fell into the realm of things you read that you have to check it wasn't written on April 1st but the more I read the more it made sense.

Like all methods it suits certain tasks. It takes a while so I only use it on really dirty records or ones that the vacuum cleaner just can't get done. For new records or just normally dirty records it is overkill and on scratched records in extreme case it can make them worse as it pulls all the dirt out of a scratch that when filled with dirt the needle will pass over with noise rather than a jump.

Most of the time I use my Vacuum machines and try to keep all my vinyl as clean as possible (I buy Art Du Son in bulk usually) but for things I pick up that have had the dirt pushed right into the grooves nothing works better than glue. I picked up an expensive coloured LP recently that looked fine but played with loads of noise and pops and clicks that several long runs on the Vacuum machine just would not shift, one go with the wood glue and it sounds like new.

I usually let them dry overnight and peel the mask off in the morning and getting it to work took a little research, I read up on it and practised on records I didn't care about first. There are some good tutorials and video's dotted about on the net that give a good insight into getting the best results and the glue you use will make a difference to how easy the mask comes off, the amount of static and in some cases whether you get reaction induced warping. The warping if it does happen from what I have read seems to sort it self out and I have only had it happen on one really thin LP which did indeed sort itself out but as with everything in life there are no guarantees.

If you are in the US the Titebond range is well thought of and over here in the UK I have found Barrettine Trade to be the best. The biggest problem is if there isn't enough elasticity in the formula it comes off in flakes but with the right glue it comes of in one playable mask.

I use the okki nokki to turn the record to apply it and a plastic spreader to even it out, I then just let it dry over night so it's completely clear and then peel it off in the morning, and then repeat for the other side so a complete LP takes 24 hours most of which is the drying time.

the limit to how many sides you can do is how much room you have to lay them out glue side up.

The cost of the glue seems to have no bearing on how elastic it is either, I tried 3 or 4 before I hit on the Barrettine but I expect there are quite a few others that work well, Cheap pound shop stuff wasn't bad but Wurth and Evo Stik flaked badly, don't panic if you use the wrong glue as after you get off what you can the record washer gets off the little bits that are left but you have to flush the machine through

I use In The Groove. Is this a bad way to get rid of small bits of static, dust, etc?

http://www.amazon.com/In-The-Groove-Record-Cleaner/dp/B004MG9YYQ

I was considering getting one of these, does anyone else have an opinion on it? I've seen a few people say they use them, but have also seen someone say that it added static to the record. Has anyone else seen this?

I picked up some wood glue and it's been doing really great on my used finds. 
Definitely not something to use on every record and it doesn't pick up any oil residue. 

I'm looking into getting something for the rest of my light cleaning, but I can definitely get behind the wood glue method.

I picked up some wood glue and it's been doing really great on my used finds. 

Definitely not something to use on every record and it doesn't pick up any oil residue. 

I'm looking into getting something for the rest of my light cleaning, but I can definitely get behind the wood glue method.

Sometimes it's a combination of methods, you are right about the the glue not picking up the oil so you need to wash it first in something that will get that moving before you apply the glue.

Anybody who has a VPI have good recommendations for solution? I have a lot of records that need cleaning and that little bottle that came with my VPI is almost gone...

I, along with a number of friends, have been using a mixture of distilled water, Iso Alcohol and a drop of "plastic cleaner".. some people use a drop of dawn soap or photo flow (?) ..  the amount of alcohol to DISTILLED water you use seems to be a matter of personal taste and beliefs.  I would never see any reason to go anywhere near a 1/3 alcohol mixture (90-99% iso), a couple cap fulls in maybe a litre of water.

love my vpi.

Anybody who has a VPI have good recommendations for solution? I have a lot of records that need cleaning and that little bottle that came with my VPI is almost gone...

Don't make your own or ajxd will come to your house and kill you. You can buy replacement cleaning solution from VPI

http://www.audioadvisor.com/VPI-Record-Cleaning-Solution-8-oz-bottle/productinfo/VPRCM8/#.UuCFyBDD-M8

I, along with a number of friends, have been using a mixture of distilled water, Iso Alcohol and a drop of "plastic cleaner".. some people use a drop of dawn soap or photo flow (?) ..  the amount of alcohol to DISTILLED water you use seems to be a matter of personal taste and beliefs.  I would never see any reason to go anywhere near a 1/3 alcohol mixture (90-99% iso), a couple cap fulls in maybe a litre of water.

love my vpi.

very true

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally managed to find a copy of the NOFX/Rancid split, and as soon as I take it home and put it on the turntable, it starts skipping. I've encountered skips on "Moron Bros." and "Stickin' In My Eye" so far, and while I haven't listened to the NOFX side I'm sure they're there, too. The record wasn't mint, but it looked to be flawless under even my closest scrutiny. Not even one hairline scratch, let alone something deep enough to cause a skip, and I meticulously cleaned off any traces of dust.

I tried cleaning the record with an audio-technica AT-6012 Record Care Kit, and after doing so I noticed that two or three prominent skips were no longer present. I'm not so concerned about them anymore, because I think I can get the rest of the record to play smoothly, but what I'm curious about is what they were in the first place. Does anybody have any idea?

I read somewhere that it could be very very small debris, invisible to my eye, deep within the grooves. But that doesn't make sense to me because it seemed like the record was so impeccably cared for. If anyone knows what's up with this, please let me know. 

It's not unheard of for records to come from the pressing plant with small debris.  So no matter how well a record is cared for after it is sold, if the crap is there, it's there.  I know there are people who clean brand new records before the first play. I'm not that anal but when you have clicks and pops, and certainly skips, cleaning is a good place to start.