Cleaning Your Records

What kind of cleaning you do greatly depends on what state the record is in.  If you by boatloads of Goodwill grade used records, you need to invest in a wet cleaner.  For routine maintenance of new and well cared for records, a dry cleaner is probably sufficient.  The problem with them, however, it most of the create a fair amount of static. 

I'm actually a fan of Gruv Glide.  A DJ friend of mine turned me on to it years ago and I was pretty skeptical.  It does remove a lot of crap from even new records, kills static, and noticeably lowers the noise floor.  The crap seems to last forever.

For what it's worth, I've tried Elmer's wood glue and OxiClean on some pretty noisy records in the past and found they didn't do much, but YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

so ive been using a spin clean as directed.  im finding that even brand new records have a lot of surface noice (clicks and pops etc), playing on a Debut Carbon with stock ortofon red that i clean before playing.  am i making my records dirtier with the spin clean?

I really want to pick up one of these systems.

From what I've read it seems like using a brush in addition to the spin clean is the way to go. I don't have any experience with one, but I'd like to try one out. I'm curious if anyone using a spin clean has anything to say about liquid getting on the labels or is that not something to worry about?

So is there no way to clean things by hand?

I have mostly new records and a few oldies, so I don't feel the need for a very complex cleaning system. I was hoping to find a couple links to cleaning solution, rags, and brush or two. 

Is this possible?

There are a few videos on YouTube for hand cleaning.  I can't attest to how safe this method is.  I have done it myself a few times for cheap LP's I have picked up at the thrift store with no issue.

There are a few videos on YouTube for hand cleaning.  I can't attest to how safe this method is.  I have done it myself a few times for cheap LP's I have picked up at the thrift store with no issue.

theres no reason a cleaning solution and a brush shouldnt  be enough.  im terribly OCD and so if I do something to one or more records in my collection then i need to do it to all of them...e.g. sleeving 1000 records all at once and cleaning them prior

Thanks! This is what I was looking for! any advice on a specific solution? other then the ones on the 'tube.

Brushes just make the record look nice and clean without really removing surface noise, you need something that will pull dirt out of the grooves. That is why people swear by cleaning machines and wood glue. These are the only methods I've ever used that properly remove pops and clicks.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently got an email from protected.de (they sell record supplies) about a "cleaning gel" that basically does what the wood glue does, but it's easier to peel off: http://protected.de/de/Vinyl-Cleaning-Gel-250-ml1201

1201_VINYL_GEL_CLEANER_1.JPG

1201_VINYL_GEL_CLEANER_2.JPG

Maybe there's something similar in the US.

Yes it's called PVA wood glue but not all glues are the same, there are some great threads on the net about it.

This stuff is very good as it removes the two usual problems found with the wood glue method i.e. that it usually comes of in one sheet and much lower static but is obviosly much more expensive.

I use the wood glue method on very dirty records. I haven't had a problem yet and it will only remove dirt not fix a scratch but for records that are just plain dirty it's very effective. I understand the BBC pioneered the wood glue method for the archiving of records.

I haven't used it on any records with any real value yet but there is no real reason I can see not to.

If you are contemplating it read up on it and watch all the you tube videos as it can get very messy if you just have a go.