Question about apartment lease

basically i think you're gonna have to talk to her like she's a child and give her a  taste of her own medicine. let her know that she signed a legally-binding contract and to grow up and face the music. she legally has to continue to pay rent or she's screwed. (Although, no one's gonna go after anyone unless both of you decide not to pay). 

In the meantime, talk to your landlord and see if there's anything they can work out or what the rules are on subletting. you should probably start posting on craigslist or whatever and try to get the apartment rented. (if that's what the best solution is)

How long were you dating for?

Like most people said, talk to the landlord and explain your situation. If it's a decent place, they shouldn't have any problems renting it out again.

7 months...I know...she was also the one who wanted to live together. The landlord said were pretty much bound to the terms of the lease and can't get out of it without paying the remaining months upfront which totals about $3500 for each of us and neither of us can drop money like that right now or ever really.

7 months...I know...she was also the one who wanted to live together. The landlord said were pretty much bound to the terms of the lease and can't get out of it without paying the remaining months upfront which totals about $3500 for each of us and neither of us can drop money like that right now or ever really.

well, if you could pay it up front, it would make more sense to just live there. you could tell her she's free to live but she still has to pay monthly rent. 

otherwise, did you ask about subletting? 

Subletting is an option. Also depending on the landlord and how cool they are they may say to pay rent and stay till a new tenant can be found. For them they care about a steady rent check coming in, not necessarily if it comes from you or someone else. You may be able to work something out where you pay X dollars (not 3700) and you both walk away no harm. Obviously if he does let you out get something in writing and notorized so they cant come back months down the line for more.

well, if you could pay it up front, it would make more sense to just live there. you could tell her she's free to live but she still has to pay monthly rent.

otherwise, did you ask about subletting?

I did but if one of us leaves the other wants to stay and doesnt want to pay full rent so we are kind of at a stalemate about that. It's a one bedroom apartment also so the bedroom would have to be shared which she doesn't want to do and I really don't either. It would be easier to come to an agreement on something if she would actually sit down and talk about this but that would be too easy so I dunno I'm just going to keep up with my rent payments and if she bails I suppose I'll have to go to court and she is going to have to learn about responsibility/commitment the hard way

Right now she's pulling a "if you get your shit together, we can get back together" thing. I'm not really sure if we are together or not right now. You'd think she would atleast want to try and work stuff out though being that we haven't even been here a month but she follows the advice of her idiot friends who all tell her to just move out, so now she thinks she can just do whatever she wants without consequence because her friends said it was ok. God just typing that made me feel like I was in fucking high school again

What does she mean get your shit together? What is she complaining about? And are you willing to patch things up?

Say fine, sign me off the lease and let the bitch worry about it.

If she's listening to her friends over you and it's not warranted then it's already over and it's time to cut your loses.

But I agree with Chino been there done that.

What does she mean get your shit together? What is she complaining about? And are you willing to patch things up?

But I agree with Chino been there done that.

She's mad I smoked a joint with a friend who was in town for the weekend. We didn't smoke in our apartment or anything like that, she's just that upset that I smoked. If I smoked a lot of weed all the time or something maybe id understand it a little more but I seldom ever do. She doesn't understand weed though or know anything about it, so naturally she hates it

If she ceases to pay rent, you will be burdened with the full amount. You can indemnify her for her portion, but you (and her too) will be held fully responsible to the landlord.

I know you hope it won't get to that point, but definitely start collecting all information now. Check your lease if you have a clause for or against subletting as many have suggested. But you may already be allowed so long as it is in writing.

Sorry about your worries, people are selfish and only think of themselves.

Also, all this over a little weed??? Cue half baked gif

Holy shit. I can't believe someone would break up with someone that they were living with for smoking a joint. Consider yourself lucky for getting out of that relationship at the low cost of $1000.

Yeah man the best part of this whole thing though is my ex bought about $2000 in furniture all on credit and all in her name and she just got the first bill today and in two weeks isn't going to have anywhere to put it all haha

Related question: I'm 19 years old and I'll be trying to move into a 5 bedroom house at the end of the year with 4 friends. Bad idea or a-ok?

I did this with 2 friends, great experiences, no regrets, ended up moving back with mom after we had a fallout with one of our buddies who couldn't hold up rent because he had to go see his mom in vegas due to personal reasons. But yeah this goes well with the OP because we straight up talked to the landlord and dipped. We gave our deepest apologies. Dude you smoked a joint. You didn't hurt anyone. Pot isn't a big deal on the westcoast. There are a lot of very hard driven workers who smoke weed here. It's the same as anyone going home to drinking a beer. It takes off the edge big deal. Don't be with someone who tries to control your life like that. Try to leave.

Isn't the point of getting an apartment so you have someplace to smoke a joint where the pigs can't see you?

I mean she doesn't need to smoke it, but most adults at least understand its not a big deal. I ha to quit due to panic attacks, but my girlfriend still smokes up our studio apartment sometimes. Just makes me sad I can't join.

I did this with 2 friends, great experiences, no regrets, ended up moving back with mom after we had a fallout with one of our buddies who couldn't hold up rent because he had to go see his mom in vegas due to personal reasons. But yeah this goes well with the OP because we straight up talked to the landlord and dipped. We gave our deepest apologies. Dude you smoked a joint. You didn't hurt anyone. Pot isn't a big deal on the westcoast. There are a lot of very hard driven workers who smoke weed here. It's the same as anyone going home to drinking a beer. It takes off the edge big deal. Don't be with someone who tries to control your life like that. Try to leave.

I'm actually starting the label with 2 of them, so there's a pretty solid level of trust there.

I'm not sure I would pay $1000 to get out of a lease versus $3700 and getting a place to stay for the next 11 months. Not trying to give you shit, but $340 a month for rent really isn't that bad. Are you going to move back home with the parents? Cause I can't imagine finding another place for cheaper.