Texas people

The girl is in school in SA and my industry is only in Austin.  Kind of stuck for now.  Will be looking into houses in New Braunfels/San Marcos/Selma or just rent until she gets a job closer to Austin.

I already have a 1-1:30 commute in NY traffic, so honestly nothing too new to me.  Will be going from North SA (Churchill/Blanco area) to downtown Austin (17th street).  Have some flexibility with my hours so I'll probably shoot to get to Austin around 10am to miss the heaviest of the morning traffic.

With you leaving that early I don't really see you have a problem with traffic going out. As far as austin it depends. I've noticed that usually the traffic starts around lunch time for the most part and kind of fluctuates between then and 5, sometimes going on longer depending on that day. Plus you can go fast as hell on 35 and get there within an hour. When there is light traffic i usually get there within that time going about 80 to 85. Then again, I've just always driven that way. 

if you're coming to austin, hit a motherfucker up. i can tell you where to go, shop, eat, clean restrooms to shit in downtown, etc etc. lived here way too long. and i love showing people around. 

also capital city is ok. there cupcakes fall apart on ya regularly next time you come to austin, i'll take you to a few places outside of the scope of touristy/kitchy/hipsterish places and grab some cupcakes or food that will fuck your world up.

the one thing i hate about my city, everyone loves it, moves here, drives up the cost of rent to astonishing prices and the city gets more dense. all this while our roads and highways stay the same. move somewhere outside of austin proper, like manchaca/buda/san marcos or any other residential suburb. dont live here. it'll be less populated and you can drive in whenever you want. besides traffic doesn't get bad on 35 till you reach ben white/290.  you'll wind up saving like $500 in rent alone just for the extra 10-20 minute commute. 

if you're looking to get here around 10. then you're good. traffic on 35 starts dying down around 9 to where it's tolerable. and your commute will be fine until about ben white/290/71 area. when leaving, if you plan to travel on 35, wait till after 7pm. or take 17th to south first, and take that all the way to ben white and cross over to 35. traffic down residential streets is far easier to travel than 35 during rush hour. 

Moving to San Antonio in a couple weeks, and will be working in Austin.  Already know how awesome of a city Austin is, but I'd appreciate any insider info you guys can provide (not about how my commute will suck - I already know that).

• When you're in Austin you have to go to HopDoddy burgers it's off capital street

• There's a framers market in hanger park every sunday and there are really good food tucks

• Food trucks are all over downtown it would be in your internist to check them out

• There's really 2 main highways in Austin one runs east and west, the other runs north and sound you drive 70 on both and both have left exits 

• When you're in Austin you have to go to HopDoddy burgers it's off capital street

• There's a framers market in hanger park every sunday and there are really good food tucks

• Food trucks are all over downtown it would be in your internist to check them out

• There's really 2 main highways in Austin one runs east and west, the other runs north and sound you drive 70 on both and both have left exits 

hopdoddys is off congress or anderson. i assume you are speaking of the congress location due to the fact that's the area where most visitors frequent. 

food trucks are all over austin. not just downtown. 

farmers market in hanger park? you mean the mueller farmers market at the old muellar airport.  

and there are several major highways, not just 2. left exits? most major cities with major highways have left exits and right exits. it's not uncommon. 

Appreciate all the responses peeps.

I want a real house, so I don't plan on living in the city of Austin.  Maybe Lake Travis one day, but I'm digging the vibe of New Braunfels so I'm gonna look around there and Schertz, Selma, San Marcos.  Lived in NYC and I'm over the crowded apartment lifestyle. 

I'm definitely down to meet up with people if anyone want to show a damn yankee around.  Will have minimal friends/contacts down there at first (especially in Austin) and will be trying to attend as many shows as possible, and will probably be grabbing a beer or two after work.

Apologies for invading your lands and driving up costs, but you should deal with the cost of living up here.  Sucks ass.  Houses are 50% cheaper in Texas and 50% nicer/newer.  Can't wait to get out.

Appreciate all the responses peeps.

I want a real house, so I don't plan on living in the city of Austin.  Maybe Lake Travis one day, but I'm digging the vibe of New Braunfels so I'm gonna look around there and Schertz, Selma, San Marcos.  Lived in NYC and I'm over the crowded apartment lifestyle. 

I'm definitely down to meet up with people if anyone want to show a damn yankee around.  Will have minimal friends/contacts down there at first (especially in Austin) and will be trying to attend as many shows as possible, and will probably be grabbing a beer or two after work.

Apologies for invading your lands and driving up costs, but you should deal with the cost of living up here.  Sucks ass.  Houses are 50% cheaper in Texas and 50% nicer/newer.  Can't wait to get out.

downside is there are some trashy ass people down here. is that everywhere? I've lived in Waco and Beaumont and just yikes...

Super cool that you will be moving to San Antonio. I live on the NE side of San Antonio pretty close to I-35. Born and raised here for the most part. The drive to Austin is really not that bad since it just a straight shot. Really depends on what time you are driving. San Antonio is pretty cool. Lots of good food, semi-decent music scene (but terrible compared to Austin) so maybe we'll see you at some shows around here once you move. Need any San Antonio info hit me up. 

Someday I'm going to travel down to Dillon, Texas to catch a football game and drink beer with Tim Riggins

the last time i was in Austin in March, my friend and i drove around and saw the Riggins, Taylor, and Saracen houses. tried to find Buddy's car dealership and failed miserably.

All these Friday Night Lights references are wasted on me.

Definitely enjoy the food in San Ant.  Blanco BBQ is legit, and I am already hooked on Las Palapas breakfast tacos.

Also, you guys might not appreciate it, but HEB is like the best super market ever.

For the music scene... I went to a Front Bottoms show last time I was down in January at the Limelight.  Hole in the wall spot, but I couldn't ask for more.  Also heard White Rabbit is good for bigger shows.

I've also come to love Shiner Bock and Zeigen Bock Amber.  I'm sure there are plenty of other good/better beers... but I'm going to have to cope with my loss of Yuenglings and these were a good start.  I'll probably fit as many cases of Yuengling as I can in the car when I head down.

Yeah, the best shows in San Antonio are at hole in the wall places. The Ten Eleven is pretty good and has some great bands come through there, and so is 502 Bar if you want something that isn't downtown. Also summer shows here are miserable due to the heat, but it is what it is. The Rabbit is ok. It's historic so I can't hate on it, but there are always a lot of hipsters and scene kids downtown. Like you said, mainly bigger named bands will go there if they even come to San Antonio. We usually trek up to Austin for better venues/shows, and most bands would rather play in Austin then San Antonio. 

We also have some great breweries in San Antonio. My favorites are Freetail, Branchline and Ranger Creek. Sooo many good Texas beers that you will get to experience. For this I am excited for you. One of my favorite things about traveling is trying all of the different local brews and lucky for you Texas loves their craft beer.