The Emo Thread

I really enjoyed a lot of these "comeback" or "last farewell" tours. Texas Is the Reason's last string of shows, Braid's Frame & Canvas Tour and seeing The Promise Ring at the Church following the cancellation of Riot Fest East are standouts for me. Anyone get a chance to see Knapsack? I missed out on them.

TS & The Past Haunts are working on/releasing some new material. I remember a string of side projects and solo appearances last year including that strange DJ set from Blake Schwarzenbach and the short stint if Bars of Gold shows. All of this just makes me want Piebald, Jawbreaker and Bear Vs. Shark shows, even if for one last time.

Guest stl_ben.

I might get hated out for this, but I could just never get into Bear vs. Shark. Embrace, Mineral, SDRE, Christie Front Drive, The Get Up Kids, all those I love… and all my friends seemed to really like Bear vs. Shark…I just don't know what it is. I think I like one of their songs and only that one really because it's a Castlevania 2 reference.

I might get hated out for this, but I could just never get into Bear vs. Shark. Embrace, Mineral, SDRE, Christie Front Drive, The Get Up Kids, all those I love… and all my friends seemed to really like Bear vs. Shark…I just don't know what it is. I think I like one of their songs and only that one really because it's a Castlevania 2 reference.

I am with you on all of this.

Guest stl_ben.

Saddened at all the new "emo" love in here and not enough respect for the originals. Saetia, You and I, Lifetime, Rites of Spring, not to mention the early Vagrant roster.

Eh? I feel like Embrace, Christie Front Drive, Indian Summer and Mineral all fall into that category...definitely as much as Lifetime or Saetia. Get Up Kids have been mentioned a couple times...but I feel like a lot of Vagrant's earlyish stuff was more in the pop-punk vein. I definitely don't consider Alkaline Trio or Saves the Day emo, but maybe that's just me.

I do agree with you that there is a lot of "new emo" love going on here, I don't mind it though because I haven't heard of the newer bands.

Additionally, I like Saetia I guess, but I don't know why everyone seems to cream their jeans over them.

Eh? I feel like Embrace, Christie Front Drive, Indian Summer and Mineral all fall into that category...definitely as much as Lifetime or Saetia. Get Up Kids have been mentioned a couple times...but I feel like a lot of Vagrant's earlyish stuff was more in the pop-punk vein. I definitely don't consider Alkaline Trio or Saves the Day emo, but maybe that's just me.

I do agree with you that there is a lot of "new emo" love going on here, I don't mind it though because I haven't heard of the newer bands.

Additionally, I like Saetia I guess, but I don't know why everyone seems to cream their jeans over them.

agree a lot... there us also Channel and The Van Pelt, Karate, Paris Texas, Rainer Maria, Boy's Life and others on Crank!,

Embassy, Ordination Of Aaron...

tons of great older bands, but you don't want to blow your wad all at once

Guest stl_ben.

agree a lot... there us also Channel and The Van Pelt, Karate, Paris Texas, Rainer Maria, Boy's Life and others on Crank!,

Embassy, Ordination Of Aaron...

tons of great older bands, but you don't want to blow your wad all at once

Yeah, see? I knew some had been mentioned. 

I didn't want to go through and see what all everyone listed so far, but it seems like if you're going to make a generalized statement about people only talking about "new emo" you would read through the thread. Maybe sacredheart needs to check themself next time. You know, before they wreck themself.

Guest stl_ben.

it would be good if every new emo revival band did not sound the same. No variety what so ever between the bands. They all look to the Kinsella's and just copy anything they ever did.

I mean...now I know you have to be trolling.

it would be good if every new emo revival band did not sound the same. No variety what so ever between the bands. They all look to the Kinsella's and just copy anything they ever did.

This is so true though.

Kinsella 4 lyf.

Also I'm really glad no one has tried to rip off SDRE....yet

Guest stl_ben.

Really?

Mid oughts emo wasn't based off SDRE and Weezer? Like a bunch of the Deep Elm roster?

Yeah. I don't know what people are saying. Pretty much all emo is going to sound at least slightly like at least one of the earlier bands. Otherwise it would be a different genre or a weird new subgenre of emo. I think Weezer is even kind of pushing it on whether or not it's emo, but that's neither here nor there.

Yeah. I don't know what people are saying. Pretty much all emo is going to sound at least slightly like at least one of the earlier bands. Otherwise it would be a different genre or a weird new subgenre of emo. I think Weezer is even kind of pushing it on whether or not it's emo, but that's neither here nor there.

That's how all music is period unless you invent a new genre, these guys are just tryna be coolguys. Unless they're stealing riffs, it's different enough for me.

Guest stl_ben.

That's how all music is period unless you invent a new genre, these guys are just tryna be coolguys. Unless they're stealing riffs, it's different enough for me.

I wanna be a cool guy :(  "Embrace is just a rip of of Rites of Spring, guys. What a bunch of jerks, they sound similar."