World Cup 2014 Discussion

It's not even close. The Chicago Fire have a pretty big following though. But I will say, not being a huge soccer fan, watching the World Cup is pretty dam fun. I'm actually watching the late game when I get home from work every day.

I'm a hockey fan, an American football fan, but man, when you understand soccer, no game compares.

I think hockey is pretty similar, limited stopping during active play, goals are at a premium and there are a lot of really tense moments when the play enters you attacking or defensive 3rd. Obviously soccer isn't quite at the same pace since the field size is so large but I think if you can watch hockey you could learn to like soccer. 

My problem with hockey is you have guys on the ice to fight and cause drama. They fight, it's just not a classy sport.

Soccer is more physically demanding in my opinion. When you run close to 10 km in a match.

Mind you obviously for your 40 second shift you work much harder.

You'll see hockey players in so-so shape. Soccer players are always ripped lol.

Both good in the own ways. I'm just not into the fighting. Seems childish and hick imo.

My problem with hockey is you have guys on the ice to fight and cause drama. They fight, it's just not a classy sport.

Soccer is more physically demanding in my opinion. When you run close to 10 km in a match.

Mind you obviously for your 40 second shift you work much harder.

You'll see hockey players in so-so shape. Soccer players are always ripped lol.

Both good in the own ways. I'm just not into the fighting. Seems childish and hick imo.

Confused with what you mean that hockey is "hick" to you

Confused with what you mean that hockey is "hick" to you

It is just such a white person sport to me.

I live in Canada where are lot of hockey fans bash soccer like you wouldn't belive.

And I enjoy hockey don't get me wrong.

And yes soccer isn't always classy, but more often then not you help your opponent up. You shake their hands, you congratulate them.

This is very absent in hockey. In my opinion.

It is just such a white person sport to me.

I live in Canada where are lot of hockey fans bash soccer like you wouldn't belive.

And I enjoy hockey don't get me wrong.

And yes soccer isn't always classy, but more often then not you help your opponent up. You shake their hands, you congratulate them.

This is very absent in hockey. In my opinion.

Eh in sports like hockey and football (American) there needs to be that aspect of the sport. If every time a linebacker destroys a running back trying to punch it up the middle and he gets up helps him up and shakes his hand I wouldn't watch.

I like the drama in hockey. It says a lot about how important the sport is to them when emotions are always running high.

When all is said and done, hockey players shake hands and congratulate each other too. And trying to help someone up by grabbing their chunky ass glove with your chunky ass glove when you're both standing on thin blades on ice is a lot more troublesome than you'd probably imagine.

I think the problem with the US etc not "getting" football is because it's 45 minutes without any major breaks. Attentions spans and all that.

Its the greatest sport in the world and nothing compares. August 9th needs to hurry up and come around now for me.

Totally agree. I'm a Portsmouth fan, so bring on Exeter away on Aug 9th

I hear that. Football is a hard one for me to watch because all the ads, replays, timeouts and everything else. Swear there is more action in baseball.

Anyway. Some interesting games today. Rooting for GER and maybe Nigeria. They looked lousy against Iran but would be cool to see an African nation advance. Though Ivory Coast has the better team and chance probably.