Do-It-Yourself Box Set?

The way I would say to do it with wood is to use dove-tail joints:

dovetail-joint.jpg

strong as hell and easy to get that flush look to it. The bottoms can be nailed or screwed on, build a lid, smack some hinges on and boom goes the dynamite

This is great. I was thinking to chauffeur the edges at 45% angles and then nail them together, but this would bypass that, and potentially hold stronger. I'm just wondering how to get that cut in the wood. Bandsaw?

Ps, is that SketchUp?

Patrick from A City Inside did these bitchin' custom boxes. Some people around here have them floating around. Not a very helpful post since I don't remember exactly how he made them but maybe it'll help point you in the right direction.

Anything helps really. Just trying to figure out what my best options are. Looking to keep it easy maintenance at low cost.

This is great. I was thinking to chauffeur the edges at 45% angles and then nail them together, but this would bypass that, and potentially hold stronger. I'm just wondering how to get that cut in the wood. Bandsaw?

Ps, is that SketchUp?

ohhh I getcha. For the 45s you can use a miter saw. Those are pretty easy to use and manual ones aren't terrible priced. the dovetail joints need to be put in by a saw yeah. You can, after some practice, get them with a regular saw but theres a lot of room for error; there are special saws for it. You can also, sometimes, find wood with the joints already in place, but they're usually in kits for stuff. Also, not sure if SketchUp! Found the pic online. I really want to learn SketchUp, I'm a landscaping design major and could really use that skillset. 

ohhh I getcha. For the 45s you can use a miter saw. Those are pretty easy to use and manual ones aren't terrible priced. the dovetail joints need to be put in by a saw yeah. You can, after some practice, get them with a regular saw but theres a lot of room for error; there are special saws for it. You can also, sometimes, find wood with the joints already in place, but they're usually in kits for stuff. Also, not sure if SketchUp! Found the pic online. I really want to learn SketchUp, I'm a landscaping design major and could really use that skillset. 

Thanks for the info. Definitely looking into all of this as my small summer project. Hopefully I can make something that I can share on this board for others that want to make one. I'll keep looking around. And yes, that's definitely SketchUp. We use it at my architecture firm. It's definitely a fun program and really really easy to learn. Quite user-friendly as well. As a matter of fact, I was planning on modeling this box in SketchUp before I did any physical work on it haha.

• 2 months later...

2ykfl1z.jpg

http://www.michaels.com/recollections-signature-document-storage-box/M10325398.html?dwvar_M10325398_color=Kraft

Snagged one of these from Michael's today, the 12" x 12" x 4" box. Pretty cool solution for what I was looking for and you can paint it/throw stickers on it. I know a couple of people were in the same boat as me so I figured I'd pass along my input.

Thanks for the info. Definitely looking into all of this as my small summer project. Hopefully I can make something that I can share on this board for others that want to make one. I'll keep looking around. And yes, that's definitely SketchUp. We use it at my architecture firm. It's definitely a fun program and really really easy to learn. Quite user-friendly as well. As a matter of fact, I was planning on modeling this box in SketchUp before I did any physical work on it haha.

For what it's worth, you can make those cuts with a scroll saw (basically a smaller, more precise band saw/miter saw) for cheaper. Hell, you can buy a whole scroll saw for like, two hundred bucks. They're very easy to work with, too. I took a few years of wood tech and after a couple months I was makin' dragons and shit with a scroll saw. Box set would be a piece of cake if you have a few hours to practice.

Good luck if you're still going to build one, and post pictures if you do!