Insound - Vinyl Grab Bag

My coworker did this and got some albums he enjoyed, some he didn't. Keep in mind this is a 19 year old. I usually wouldn't mention this but he's kind of on the Pitchfork / Urban Outfitters side of things.

Hot Chip - One Pure Thought

Gray Market Goods - Soldier Of Fortune / We Live In The Future (12" single)

Holiday Shores - Columbus'd The Whim

Heavy Winged - Waking, Shaking (drone, transparent grey vinyl, "really good")

Hearts of Darknesses - Shit Fan Punx Get Busted (obnoxious experimental rock, "even better")

I'm tempted but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be happy with the results. Insound carries too wide a selection and I suspect most grab bag material is clearance stuff. I went through with the Polyvinyl grab bag deal and also got some good, some bad:

31 Knots - Trump Harm (pretty good)

Aloha - Home Acres (love it)

Asobi Seksu - Fluorescence (eh)

The Ivory Coast - Clouds

Ida - Tales Of Brave Ida

If you're just looking for new shit to listen to, by all means do it, it's a cheap way to explore and potentially find some favorites. If you want generally recognized 'good' albums, don't do it and use the 25 bucks to just buy the album you want.

My coworker did this and got some albums he enjoyed, some he didn't. Keep in mind this is a 19 year old. I usually wouldn't mention this but he's kind of on the Pitchfork / Urban Outfitters side of things.

Hot Chip - One Pure Thought

Gray Market Goods - Soldier Of Fortune / We Live In The Future (12" single)

Holiday Shores - Columbus'd The Whim

Heavy Winged - Waking, Shaking (drone, transparent grey vinyl, "really good")

Hearts of Darknesses - Shit Fan Punx Get Busted (obnoxious experimental rock, "even better")

I'm tempted but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be happy with the results. Insound carries too wide a selection and I suspect most grab bag material is clearance stuff. I went through with the Polyvinyl grab bag deal and also got some good, some bad:

31 Knots - Trump Harm (pretty good)

Aloha - Home Acres (love it)

Asobi Seksu - Fluorescence (eh)

The Ivory Coast - Clouds

Ida - Tales Of Brave Ida

If you're just looking for new shit to listen to, by all means do it, it's a cheap way to explore and potentially find some favorites. If you want generally recognized 'good' albums, don't do it and use the 25 bucks to just buy the album you want.

Hmm, none of that sounds all that great... Though none of it sounds unforgivably bad either.

I think i'll give it a try in a week or two. I do love the notion of getting 5 things and having it be a legit surprise. Perhaps i will discover a new favorite....

The thing about an Insound grabbag instead of a label distro is that Insound is a huge distributor. You could literally get anything from them.

I'm always surprised at the oldish hardcore/screamo stuff they have in the bargain section. Some Julia, Funeral Diner, an old 96 comp. Then you have all of the bad wannabe hipster electronic/rock bands.

The following question is to be read with zero sarcasm. What's the connection between Pitchfork & Urban Outfitters? I can understand the disdain for one or the other but I don't see how either are connected to each other.

The following question is to be read with zero sarcasm. What's the connection between Pitchfork & Urban Outfitters? I can understand the disdain for one or the other but I don't see how either are connected to each other.

I didn't mean to imply a connection between the two, although I can see how my post would do that. I just meant it as a point of reference in terms of his musical immersion and interests.

Some guy on Reddit did an Insound grab bag and got:

Orenda Fink - Ask The Night

Nickel Eye - The Time Of The Assassins

Born Gold - Bodysong

The Boy Least Likely To - The Body Of The Playground

Peter Moren - The Last Tycoon

So yeah, it's definitely lesser known stuff that probably isn't selling well. Bet there are some unheard gems though.

• 1 month later...

Long time reader, first time poster. I just ordered one of these the other day and it came in today. I had never listened to any of these bands, but they're not turning out to be so bad, and three of the albums are even colored vinyl so it wasn't a complete waste. Here's what I got:

The Catheters - Static Delusions and Still Days (Green vinyl)

Casper & the Cookies - The Optimist's Club ("Psychedelic swirl" vinyl, hand numbered out of 490)

Cara Beth Satalino - The Good Ones 12" EP (Grey marbled vinyl)

Carl Simmons - Honeysuckle Tendrils (w/ bonus 7" EP)

The Secret Society of the Sonic Six - J Ward 12" single

So I think they basically grabbed some old overstock from the "C" section, and then threw in a 12" single at random. Really digging the Catheters album so far.

Man, what? 

Just because it's a colored record, it isn't a waste?

And I'd be PISSSED if I was supposed to get 5 LPs and one of them was a 12" single. 

I was just trying to be optimistic/joke?

What I've listened to so far I enjoy. Also, it says on the site that it will be 4 LP's and one 12" single. Though they did end up sending me 3 LP's, 1 EP, and 1 12" single, so that is kind of annoying. I probably won't do it again, because I don't want to end up with a pile of worthless stuff that I don't enjoy (thankfully, the album that would have the least re-sale value, Carl Simmons, is the one I enjoy the most).

I was just trying to be optimistic/joke?

What I've listened to so far I enjoy. Also, it says on the site that it will be 4 LP's and one 12" single. Though they did end up sending me 3 LP's, 1 EP, and 1 12" single, so that is kind of annoying. I probably won't do it again, because I don't want to end up with a pile of worthless stuff that I don't enjoy (thankfully, the album that would have the least re-sale value, Carl Simmons, is the one I enjoy the most).

Haha! Eh... Don't listen to him. Thanks for sharing what you got. I've been really interested to hear what comes in those.