PO: DAVID BAZAN Monthly

Loving the more electro feel of the 2015 songs so far. Bazan, how you do it so good again and again?

I agree. Each of these new 4  tracks have a great hook.  I wish he would release Volume 1 and Volume 2 on a double LP. I don't have any desire to flip an album after every song, and change after every two.

I agree. Each of these new 4 tracks have a great hook. I wish he would release Volume 1 and Volume 2 on a double LP. I don't have any desire to flip an album after every song, and change after every two.

As someone who bought the first 7 inch set, I disagree with his attributed comment that releasing it as a full album would be a slap in the face to subscribers.

By buying the 7 inch set you're getting a physical copy of the songs months if not a year before everyone else, which has a value.

You're also lowering the resale value of the 7 inch set, which is minorly annoying for fans but not enough to erase the value of owning the 7 inch set. I only imagine that flippers or people who plan on making a profit off the resale would be frustrated enough to be outwardly angry.

if it's an artistic choice and he just doesn't believe that the songs should be considered a whole as an album then I totally understand. But I don't get the angle of doing early subscribers a favor by keeping it as a seven inch set.

As someone who bought the first 7 inch set, I disagree with his attributed comment that releasing it as a full album would be a slap in the face to subscribers.

By buying the 7 inch set you're getting a physical copy of the songs months if not a year before everyone else, which has a value.

You're also lowering the resale value of the 7 inch set, which is minorly annoying for fans but not enough to erase the value of owning the 7 inch set. I only imagine that flippers or people who plan on making a profit off the resale would be frustrated enough to be outwardly angry.

if it's an artistic choice and he just doesn't believe that the songs should be considered a whole as an album then I totally understand. But I don't get the angle of doing early subscribers a favor by keeping it as a seven inch set.

Re thinking.

Word. I think we are saying similar things?

My point is that it keeps being brought up that Bazan has said releasing the songs as a regular LP would be unfair to people who bought the 7". I think that it would/should only be frustrating to people who bought the 7" set with the expectation that the set's value is partly/mostly in its resale market value or exclusivity.

I think a full LP is more convenient to listen to for some and it shouldn't negate anyone's enjoyment of their 7" set. To me, an LP is a different product than the 7" set, which was more of a subscription experience. Same as if a band releases a CD version of their album alongside the cassette and LP version.

Yeah, sure, Bazan's point that it's unfair to the people who paid upfront, waited and spent the money for him just release things the way he wanted to is somewhat valid. But I think you're right about it being the fans who were concerned how it affected the 'value' rather than the value of music contained within the discs. Bazan just wants to be fair to the people who gave the sub. series a chance. 

I think the series is the series. It was artistically conceived and executed as two songs at a time. If you want to listen to the whole thing at once without flipping a bunch of 7"s, use the digital. He provided hi-res WAV downloads. As a subscriber, I would be disappointed if an LP version were released because I wouldn't have fussed with 7"s in the first place were it not part of the concept of the project.

regarding releasing these as LPs down the line:

The issue for me, is, if I knew up front that they'd be releasing them down the line as LPs, I wouldn't have bought the 7"s and waited for the LPs. Since, from the beginning, they said it wouldn't be released on vinyl other than the 7"s, I bought them. I would be  frustrated if they changed their mind in the near future. 

If they had originally packaged it as "get the 7"s early, as they're recorded", they still would've sold some, but not as many. I would've subscribed to the mp3s and bought the LP when it was finished. I think they knew they'd sell more of the 7"s doing it this way. 

The idea of the monthly series is to create a regular (monthly) income for David. It's doing that. 

• 2 weeks later...

regarding releasing these as LPs down the line:

The issue for me, is, if I knew up front that they'd be releasing them down the line as LPs, I wouldn't have bought the 7"s and waited for the LPs. Since, from the beginning, they said it wouldn't be released on vinyl other than the 7"s, I bought them. I would be frustrated if they changed their mind in the near future.

If they had originally packaged it as "get the 7"s early, as they're recorded", they still would've sold some, but not as many. I would've subscribed to the mp3s and bought the LP when it was finished. I think they knew they'd sell more of the 7"s doing it this way.

The idea of the monthly series is to create a regular (monthly) income for David. It's doing that.

When I talked to him at a show a few months ago, he said they would compiling songs from each volume in the form of an LP. It won't be every song off the 7"'s.