Alright, So, I need some help. Apartment Stuff.

So, about 6 months ago I had a candle lit on my nightstand. I forgot about it when I jumped in the shower and apparantly one of the cats knocked it over which ended up landing on a pair of boxers and smouldered into the carpet. In a panic without thinking, I snuffed it out, cut out the carpet and ripped up carpet from the closet to make a patch for it.

Now I know i'm definitely out of my security deposit, but how would one go about removing/masking this burn mark? Yeah, it went through the carpet and padding. From what I know it hasnt weakened the wood much as i've jumped up and down on it many many many times.

so...

What can I do?

2dgotqb.jpg

Wait, so why can't you just have your landlord replace it?

Isn't that way they are for?

Or will he throw you out for being reckless?

How do these things work?

i'm just scared of going to them because i've never had this happen before. i pay the extra pet fee a month ($75) for pet damages (not sure if that's relevant) but they sure have made enough extra money from me because of this fee. as cats tend to claw the corners.

I don't think much can be done without replacing the whole carpet.  If you're not planning on moving anytime soon, just keep covering it up I guess.

im just about to renew my lease for another year and have yet to have an inspection, but i do keep it covered with the patch i made. yeah, i know the carpet in that room will have to be replaced, but the wood burn makes it look bad, so when i move out and they do change the carpet, i want it to not be there!

I feel like hiding it is just going to make it seems worse...

haha.

They're landlords - I'm sure they've seen all types of shit.

Probably better off going to them and being like "hey, this happened the other day, what can we do about it?"

than having them find it when they come in for the inspection.

Seriously seems like the whole thing will need to be replaced.

I feel like hiding it is just going to make it seems worse...

haha.

They're landlords - I'm sure they've seen all types of shit.

Probably better off going to them and being like "hey, this happened the other day, what can we do about it?"

than having them find it when they come in for the inspection.

Seriously seems like the whole thing will need to be replaced.

unfortunately, i know you're right and i'm just fucking scared. maybe after i renew the lease and wait a month or so i'll do it. hell, i've been here for two years and havent been late on rent, or had any complaints so maybe i'll have that on my side!

If you have a good tenant history with them, it should be okay. You won't believe the shit landlords see. I'd be honest with them, they'll appreciate it.

unfortunately, i know you're right and i'm just fucking scared. maybe after i renew the lease and wait a month or so i'll do it. hell, i've been here for two years and havent been late on rent, or had any complaints so maybe i'll have that on my side!

If you've been there 2 years with no complaints and always pay your rent on time I'd imagine you're fine.  Landlords understand that just sometimes shit happens.  And I'd say that the $75 pet fee applies here.  Maybe wait until after you've renewed your lease to say something (if you can get away with hiding it until then) but I'd say if there isn't anything you can do to the wood to hide the burn mark that you should definitely say something.

• 2 weeks later...