Ferguson, and other issues

partially irrelevant to all of this discussion, but a cop in the town i grew up in is facing scrutiny right now for a facebook post in which he states that he wishes overdoses and death upon heroin users. the drug is becoming more and more widespread in a small town where it's already been an issue.. even to a close friend of mine.

but it's sparking social media outrage in the sense that it raises questions about the ability of an officer to properly conduct their duty when they hold such a dismissive regard for those whom they're assigned to serve.

also, i know the guy somewhat personally. he was on the coaching staff of my varsity soccer team for a season, and i've had a couple experiences with him while in uniform. dude is nothing more than a self-absorbed piece of shit with a napoleon complex.

I find it amusing that people downvote anyone in this thread if they speak in a derogatory way about police, but try and think about other people's experiences before you judge. Growing up in NY and now living in the South, I cant even count the times I've been racially profiled. Stopped by cops for no reason and searched (this was before I knew my rights) for no damn reason other than being black walking through the projects. Even now, I live in a nice neighborhood but I have to drive through the hood to get there. Constantly have cops tailgating me reading my plates and watching me driving just looking for a reason to pull me over. Ive been falsely arrested because I fit a "description" only to be apologized to and driven home when the cop realized my grandfather was the NYC Commissioner of Sanitation, been told to my face by a cop that my alibi didn't make sense because "Saks Fifth Avenue doesn't hire nigger managers, only nigger maids" despite my name tag and my business cards stating otherwise. So I'm sorry if I have little to no sympathy for police officers. My experiences have led me to believe that majority of them are power thirsty assholes. I do feel bad for the ones who truly "Protect and Serve" and get lumped in with the rest of the bunch.

While I agree with you on what you are saying, you're essentially doing the same thing to them as the cops who profile based on race are doing to you. Lumping them all together.

I know and its not something I'm not proud of but your life experiences shape your view on certain issues.

If that's true, then I'm failing to see why it's amusing to you that you're being downvoted for it.

Amused was probably the wrong word choice. It was supposed to be sarcastic in tone but it didn't come through that way.

Futurekills beat me to it....but profiling all cops and saying things like "Kill all pigs", is ok?!?

No it isn't but like I said life experiences can jade your view on certain things. Example: my grandma was living in Birmingham during the height of the Civil Rights movement. She had dogs sent after and hoses sprayed on her while protesting. Dealt with Jim Crow laws and such. While she does not hate all white people, those memories don't go anywhere. I've seen her tear up just thinking about it. She told me once that she once harbored a deep hatred after that but it took years of healing to see that not all white people felt that way. I know there are good cops but when you've had more negative than positive experiences with the police, it's hard to see that at times.

but it's sparking social media outrage in the sense that it raises questions about the ability of an officer to properly conduct their duty when they hold such a dismissive regard for those whom they're assigned to serve.

People need to get over it. No  matter your profession, you are going to serve peole that you do not agree with. If he is found to be treating them differently because they are addicts, then there is an issue, but him simply believing they should OD, but then conducting himself in the same manner he does with everyone else when arresting them/protecting them is not an issue at all.

People need to get over it. No  matter your profession, you are going to serve peole that you do not agree with. If he is found to be treating them differently because they are addicts, then there is an issue, but him simply believing they should OD, but then conducting himself in the same manner he does with everyone else when arresting them/protecting them is not an issue at all.

This.

My brother is a cop and both he and my mother are EMTs. They are being trained how to administer a drug to reverse the OD on 911 calls since heroin has become so common in my area. While I am all for saving people's lives, that isn't really helping the issue at hand. My brother - as an individual - thinks they should be punished for their actions, and if that means an untimely death, than so be it. I don't agree with that viewpoint, but you can bet that he's going to answer those calls and serve as he's trained to in those types of situations. His personal views would never interfere with what he's held accountable to by the term "to protect and serve."

Dude, everyone is part of a broken racist/classist system. It's not just the police, lol.

I will say that obviously I don't think anyone should actually kill cops.

Police have power though. So while I'm a part of the same fucked up system, I'm not enforcing it. We need police, but the way things are currently is not sustainable. There needs to be a change and police need to be more accountable. We don't need bullies with guns, we need people who actually care about serving the public good. There are tons of cops that are in it for the right reasons, but there are still rotten apples spoiling the bunch. I've had run ins with both decent cops and straight up bullies. I know people who've had it way worse than I ever did.

How expensive is a fucking gopro? Small town police forces are stock piling military weapons, it's not a stretch for them to mount a fucking camera on every officer. Cop shoots a kid? Watch the video and see exactly how it went down.

The cameras are not the expensive part. Storing and protecting the data is.

Yeah I know it's not actually as simple as a run to best buy. Plus all a politician needs to say to get people to vote against it is "tax increase." but it'd even create jobs, people love jobs!

There's obviously no easy fix, but something needs to change.

Goodlord Ry, just because someone rubbed you the wrong way in highschool soccer practice doesnt mean they arent suitable to be a cop.  There is a big difference to being a douchebag to some punk kid when giving a speeding ticket and dropping a bomb on a city that kills 11 and burns down 60 houses. Let me know when this guy actually does something wrong in the line of duty.

I am far from the only person from the town with a problem with him- and that's a big reason for people jumping on this the way they are. but go ahead and keep making assumptions just to keep the whole agenda in your own favor.

You have no facts on it though. You know how he feels, but no evidence that he is acting against his responsibilities in his job due to his feelings. I know plenty of doctors who feel drug users should suffer natural consequences when OD'ing, but they all treat them when they come into their ER and do their best to save their lives, just as they would any other patient. Again, it doesnt matter what the person thinks until that view impacts their work.