Ferguson, and other issues

I was finding myself to be somewhat exhausted by the ferguson situation. I've pretty much been following it since last Tuesday- where I was actively following Ryan Reilly's twitter feed right up to his arrest.

I found myself worn out by the lack of strategy on the protestors parts. Frustrated that they hadn't found a direct voice, and looked as if they would suffer the same burnt out fate as the occupy movement.

And then, just a moment ago, I watched released cell phone footage of the Powell murder. Upon reading the initial reports of him being erratic and charging officers with a knife raised, my thought, like most others, was, "well, he pretty much asked for it."

But now, having seen what went down, I'm pretty much furious again.

Q: what about tasers?

"A": they're not 100% and these officers were protecting themselves.

When in reality.. Hey how about officer 1's first defense is a taser, while officer 2 is there to shoot out a shin if it fails?

But in actual reality.. No, let's both just lay waste to this nigger. HIGH FIVE!

Keep it up guys, you're doin' great!

Nothing was going to change. The protesters were never organized enough to get on the same page about things.

But the government was able to see the issues and problems that caused this situation and sat back and watched really, they never did anything to fix the problem. This isn't the first time this has happened either it happens all the time yet nothing is being done about this. police and military should not be the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

when i last read into that situation, there were far too few details to really form an understanding of what went down. but 17 shots fired?

If someone was shooting at me I'd empty my magazine into them. That's what the cop did and what they're trained to do.

My glock .40 (model 22) holds 15 and one in the chamber, so I'd only be one short of what he fired, I think the glock 9mm (model 17) which is a pretty standard law enforcement carry, holds 16 plus one in the chamber.

that's all fine and good if he actually was being shot at. But last information I saw, the store clerk (from the store he supposedly walked out of less than 10 minutes before the shooting) said that he sold him a sandwich, was not armed (although obviously even if he did have a gun it wouldn't have been out at that time), and was not wearing a sweatshirt. The original police report said there was a struggle where his hoodie was pulled off, and there is a security camera picture from that store of him without one. 

It seems like it is practically a war zone out there and I don't particularly believe anything that police force says

just because someone is firing it you, your first instinct should not be to murder them. fire back, yes. but when shots 2-7 connect and put someone down, maybe, oh i don't know... use a little more judgement?

that seems to be the entire issue here.. is that every single time one of these cops pulls their guns out, it goes well beyond their well-being, and straight into the territory of scalps.

just because someone is firing it you, your first instinct should not be to murder them. fire back, yes. but when shots 2-7 connect and put someone down, maybe, oh i don't know... use a little more judgement?

that seems to be the entire issue here.. is that every single time one of these cops pulls their guns out, it goes well beyond their well-being, and straight into the territory of scalps.

If someone starts shooting at you, and you put them down, who is to say when you or someone else walk up to "take them into custody" that they won't just shoot you in the head? It's not like you shot the gun out of their hand and it landed a block away, and it isn't like every shot hit him. I'd guess this guy probably got hit by 5 shots tops. Shooting at a person under that kind of pressure is entirely different from shooting at the range.

I don't know what happened, but from what I read they pulled projectiles from behind the cop at the trajectory that this kid would have been shooting, I trust that over the word of a "witness" who didn't actually see it go down, and a store clerk, who's only contribution so far has been to say "he didn't have a gun." News flash public, nobody sees my gun when I carry it either.

Just because he didn't have a hoodie on in the store also doesn't mean he didn't put one on. According to the cop there were 3 kids, maybe one of them was holding his hoodie.

I'm not saying the cop was right in this, because I don't know. I hate asshole cops who think they're better than the law as much as anyone. I'm just saying people are jumping on cops now as though they're guilty from the get, and his story seems pretty legit if they pulled those bullets from the wall or whatever behind him.

If it does turn out this kid was unarmed, I'm all for putting this dude in prison for it (although usually prison for a cop is a death sentence, but I don't even want to get into that). Police aren't above the law and I'm tired of people looking the other way for cops, but hopefully more details will come out and we'll know what happened.

Cameras for cops.

/rant.