Ferguson, and other issues

Martin Luther King Jr. did not have violent protests.... Much of this is ginned up by people in power anyway, they want the chaos. 

Full disclosure...I'm drinking, so I'll play this game.

You are exactly right. Your Jesse Jacksons, Al Sharptons, want unrest because it proves their point. So subtly encouraging violent protests keeps them in a position of power. This sort of thing is counterproductive and only works to perpetuate oppression.

And the same can be said for anyone on the right who focuses on promoting division for personal or political gain.

The nation has been pitted against each other, I don't want to "hate" on Obama but this nation is being put through: Black vs. White, Gay vs. Straight, Men vs. Women, Republican vs. Democrat and now America vs. Africa with Ebola... there is just a lot of manufactured hate going around. It's disgusting. 

Full disclosure...I'm drinking, so I'll play this game.

You are exactly right. Your Jesse Jacksons, Al Sharptons, want unrest because it proves their point. So subtly encouraging violent protests keeps them in a position of power. This sort of thing is counterproductive and only works to perpetuate oppression.

And the same can be said for anyone on the right who focuses on promoting division for personal or political gain.

Very true but if these no violence this goes unseen and unheard by most people.

Very true but if these no violence this goes unseen and unheard by most people.

That's a great point, and I think that's the crux. If there's no violence, there's no attention, but if there's violence, you only reaffirm the fears of those who are inclined to be opposed to you.

Look at it this way...I think the Westboro  Baptist Church has done a great deal to *advance* acceptance of gays, because their conduct is so disgusting that people may say "if this is what people who don't like gays are like, I don't want to be associated with them."

Too often, violent protests actually work against the ones holding them. There's also a huge disconnect from older people who understand civil disobedience and young people who just want to smash shit.

Ferguson is a bit of an example here. How does destroying local black owned businesses help the community? I hate to see people with legitimate grievances cause more harm than good.

That's a great point, and I think that's the crux. If there's no violence, there's no attention, but if there's violence, you only reaffirm the fears of those who are inclined to be opposed to you.

Look at it this way...I think the Westboro  Baptist Church has done a great deal to *advance* acceptance of gays, because their conduct is so disgusting that people may say "if this is what people who don't like gays are like, I don't want to be associated with them."

Too often, violent protests actually work against the ones holding them. There's also a huge disconnect from older people who understand civil disobedience and young people who just want to smash shit.

Ferguson is a bit of an example here. How does destroying local black owned businesses help the community? I hate to see people with legitimate grievances cause more harm than good.

so is the solution here to form a group that is disgustingly outspoken against civil rights in the name of advancing civil rights?

The nation has been pitted against each other, I don't want to "hate" on Obama but this nation is being put through: Black vs. White, Gay vs. Straight, Men vs. Women, Republican vs. Democrat and now America vs. Africa with Ebola... there is just a lot of manufactured hate going around. It's disgusting.

.... how is any of that obama's fault? That shit would be happening regardless of who is president

.... how is any of that obama's fault? That shit would be happening regardless of who is president

Nah man. Romney would have fixed that shit.

Not sure about McCain though, he can be a bit of a maverick. 

I'm not advocating for anybody, I'm just saying that one main culprit of the divisive nature that has been going on the last few years has been the Commander In Chief, President Barack Obama. For instance some of his main supporters MSNBC and the mainstream media give him largely a pass on certain things...wars, healthcare etc(and continue a divisive tone) And that mainstream media, MSNBC especially, refuse to show all sides. This is coming from someone who tries to look at a lot of sources, I'm not a FoxNews nut. 

Not Ferguson related, but there is some serious shit going on in Ottawa right now: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/attacker-shot-dead-in-parliament-after-soldier-shot-at-national-war-memorial-1.2808710

- A soldier was shot at the National war memorial

- A gunman made it onto Parliment hill and into the house of commons.

- Shooting also reported at Rideau Centre, a shopping mall

Not Ferguson related, but there is some serious shit going on in Ottawa right now: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/attacker-shot-dead-in-parliament-after-soldier-shot-at-national-war-memorial-1.2808710

- A soldier was shot at the National war memorial

- A gunman made it onto Parliment hill and into the house of commons.

- Shooting also reported at Rideau Centre, a shopping mall

I wonder if both incidents are related?