Household Repairs Thread

I bumped a head while mowing and snapped the damn pipe that goes into it. I'm not really sure how to fix this, I assume I can get a coupler and glue it between the pipe and a new threaded peice of PVC?

I found this random photo on Google, circled in red is where it broke. It that helps make any sense.

z5y6zzq3.png

I mean, I'm no expert, but if you dig it out, you might be able to do it with the epoxy, should harden up and hold nicely and be water-tight. Maybe wait for some other peoples' opinions though, as I've never dealt with this personally. It's just the first thing that popped into my head.

You're best off just replacing the head. Pop up heads range from like $3 to $6 for a 2 inch pop up or $4-8 for a 4 inch. The part circled is the riser. They cost about 30 cents each, or you can buy a pack of ten for about 1.50. They connect directly into the PVC supply line under your turf. If you broke the riser, then you're going to have to get down to the PVC. You can unscrew the old head and hope for the best when putting in the new one, but dirt and crap almost always gets in there, causing problems once the new head is on. Sooo what I do is just cut out a small circle or semi-circle, depending where in the yard the head is, and dig down to the PVC. Sounds shitty, and it can be but just be mindful where you're digging. This will allow clean installation of the new riser and head, fill the hole up and bam. If you do need to flush the head if any debris gets in, just unscrew the top portion once the head is on and turn on the water for a sec. Frankensteining head may work for a while, but thats a bit of pressure and it saves future head aches with a quick trip and a few bucks. Don't epoxy anything though! Risers are threaded to screw into both the head and the supply line, just use teflon tape for extra security.

So yeah, thats long winded as shit, but I do irrigation for a living so I figured might as well be! good luck!

You're best off just replacing the head. Pop up heads range from like $3 to $6 for a 2 inch pop up or $4-8 for a 4 inch. The part circled is the riser. They cost about 30 cents each, or you can buy a pack of ten for about 1.50. They connect directly into the PVC supply line under your turf. If you broke the riser, then you're going to have to get down to the PVC. You can unscrew the old head and hope for the best when putting in the new one, but dirt and crap almost always gets in there, causing problems once the new head is on. Sooo what I do is just cut out a small circle or semi-circle, depending where in the yard the head is, and dig down to the PVC. Sounds shitty, and it can be but just be mindful where you're digging. This will allow clean installation of the new riser and head, fill the hole up and bam. If you do need to flush the head if any debris gets in, just unscrew the top portion once the head is on and turn on the water for a sec. Frankensteining head may work for a while, but thats a bit of pressure and it saves future head aches with a quick trip and a few bucks. Don't epoxy anything though! Risers are threaded to screw into both the head and the supply line, just use teflon tape for extra security.

So yeah, thats long winded as shit, but I do irrigation for a living so I figured might as well be! good luck!

This is a better plan. Like I said, mine was just a guess at something.

Awesome, thanks! I wasn't sure if the riser was replaceable on it's on or not. I didn't want to start digging up my lawn without knowing what I needed to do :)

Talking to myself but example 

In the old days the Beatles played fender amps with no distortion and cranked the volume knob until they broke up. 

If I play an old Beatles record my speakers physically break up, it's not distortion it doesn't affect the other instruments. The speakers just physically break up.

Yea I was drunk sorry there's a lot of hipsters here who buy expensive digital records and I just assumed all of you think it's cool, but I'm sure some of you do.

Can we just block this guy and get it over with? He used a homophobic slur, is now apparently just posting in threads that contain some of the same words as the one he's meaning to post in. (I'm guessing these belonged in his "broken record" thread)

He's a mess.

I honestly can't understand what he's saying more than half the the time because of his terrible grammar and half-formed sentences... To me, it looks like just the start to a pattern of abusive posts.

Fixed the sprinkler with your guys help! I figure this could be a general catch-all thread for DIY home repair so I updated the title.

With that being said, I bought a door closer+chain from Amazon I want to install on my front security door because it swung open and smashed our outside light (next week's repair project). It's not really clear how I should install both, I assume the closer on the bottom and the chain on the top? Do I really need both?

I would suggest that while you have your walls messed up, just take the extra step and replace the drywall:

It's really not that hard. The annoying thing about fixing walls is getting the right paint color, getting the tools, waiting for it to dry, cleaning up after, etc. Cutting a section of drywall and replacing is really pretty straightforward so I wouldn't take the short route unless it is really minor stuff (and you are very sure that drywall is still strong).

I know I'll be making use of this thread.  Probably the woodworking thread too.

Less than 28 days till I can start moving into my house.  My must do projects are replacing pretty much every door.  Replacing the light in the kitchen.  Replacing the exhaust fan in the kitchen.  Fixing ceiling drywall crack.  Sanding and repainting around the exterior of all windows and doors.  Replacing vinyl floor in kitchen. 

Most of this is stuff I know I can do.  I am thinking about just setting aside $300-500 from my moving / random expense budget and hiring someone to quick tear through some of these projects.  Nothing is set in stone because I'm sure when I move in a bunch of different stuff will pop up.  What I do plan on doing is making a list of all the things, big and small, that need to be done.  Then trying to set aside at least 4 hours a week to working on them.  (Above and beyond normal upkeep)

I am getting excited about winter rolling around because I plan on trying make a simple kitchen center island and a simple kitchen table.  Actually having the space and ability to start trying to build something is getting me pretty excited. 

If possible, you would do well to get as much of that stuff done as possible before moving in, or just move your stuff temporarily into a room or two that are set, do all the repairs you can, and then spread out into the house.

Maybe you are different, but I think for a lot of people, they have grand plans when they move in, they get tired, and after you've lived with a drywall crack or an old door for a while, you just don't see it as a must fix problem anymore. Just part of the house.

Right when you move in is when you have all the motivation..

I know I'll be making use of this thread.  Probably the woodworking thread too.

Less than 28 days till I can start moving into my house.  My must do projects are replacing pretty much every door.  Replacing the light in the kitchen.  Replacing the exhaust fan in the kitchen.  Fixing ceiling drywall crack.  Sanding and repainting around the exterior of all windows and doors.  Replacing vinyl floor in kitchen. 

Most of this is stuff I know I can do.  I am thinking about just setting aside $300-500 from my moving / random expense budget and hiring someone to quick tear through some of these projects.  Nothing is set in stone because I'm sure when I move in a bunch of different stuff will pop up.  What I do plan on doing is making a list of all the things, big and small, that need to be done.  Then trying to set aside at least 4 hours a week to working on them.  (Above and beyond normal upkeep)

I am getting excited about winter rolling around because I plan on trying make a simple kitchen center island and a simple kitchen table.  Actually having the space and ability to start trying to build something is getting me pretty excited. 

There's a woodworking thread?! I'm pretty excited about that.

• 9 months later...

Currently at war with crabgrass, mostly due to the house next door being empty and neglected (2 foot high weeds). I probably should have just mowed his grass before it sprayed weed spores all over mine. Would have been less work.

Any tips?

- Sprayed weed-b-gone yesterday

- Have been trying to pull them when they are young and have short roots. Seems WAY easier to get early than when they are fully grown with long roots

- I'm thinking about taking some of the areas where there has been tons growing, raking the dirt up and planting new grass. Not really sure how to match the grass type I currently have to a seed. I know there are pictures and sites online. It all just looks like grass to me..

Crabgrass is really hard to get rid of. Your best bet is killing that entire section of you lawn, rip it up and replant. Short of that, a lot of weed killer and patience in pulling it out.

yeah crabgrass sucks balls.  i think your best bet is to wait it out until next year.  pretty sure the winter months will kill it and then in early spring plant new grass where the crabgrass used to be.  then once you establish a good lawn start using a crabgrass preventer annually.  the key is sticking to it every year and don't skip. 

In the middle of a renovation nightmare myself currently. 

My uncle-in-law had an incredible old two bedroom (was 3 but smashed out a wall to make a giant masterbedroom) house in downtown Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. Evicted the old tenants due to them not paying any rent/bills. Took two giant rent a bin/shipping containers just to clean out garbage. Computer parts, dog shit, syringes, bike parts, tools, every fucking pice of trash you can imagine was in there.

I refinished all the hardwood (living/dining/both bedrooms), replaced all the old knob and tube wiring (i'm an electrical apprentice), new appliances, painted every single wall in the house (they we're all navy blue and dark green, the fucking worst), had plumbers come in and change all the old lead pipes and had a tile guy come do the entrance/kitchen/bathroom. The original plan was just refinish floors and paint but once we saw the pipes and the poor condition of pretty much everything we went full out.

The plan was to rent from him for probably 2 or so years until my wife graduated and landed full-time employment and we decided where to live. Then today she gets an email from her old co-op boss for a job in a city an hour away, making twice as much as I do and we'll likely be moving there and getting a house soon. All that work and we'll likely live there for two months if that.