Fantômas - WUNDERKAMMER Box Set (Black Friday)

archiced

Hey there, new member here. I joined the forum especially to express my disappointment in this set. I am a huge Patton fan and Fantomas is my favorite project. I was so excited to hear about the catalog getting the "deluxe" treatment and ordered the first chance I could get.

However, it seems that Ipecac went as cheap as they could with the set. The outer "cabinet" is of ok quality but the jackets and sleeves are as flimsy as can be. Still, I would deal with this if the music sounded good. Unfortunately, these pressings are horrible....quiet and muffled. Upon close inspection, the vinyl itself is full of sorts of imperfections. I've read elsewhere of other people having similar experiences.

I hate to be a whiner but after paying close to $100 for this set I'm really pissed. I would have expected this from a label like Plain (see their Disco Volante release)but not Ipecac. I know they can do vinyl well...the Patton "Mondo Cane" lp and package is stellar. Maybe if enough of us complain they will do something about it.

The sound on my set is amazing. I was much more impressed with this than the tomahawk one....especially from a package perspective. My only complaint is I would have like to retain the original art work in some capacity.

But sound wise this is light years above the new Melvins. ...which made me switch my needle because I couldn't believe it could sound so shitty.

I hope the Mr Bungle one sounds this good.

Really?!? I wonder if I just have a bum set although as I said, Ive seen similar complaints elsewhere. I was listening to an original Harvest pressing of Wire's "Chairs Missing" which sounded great. I put Suspended Animation afterwards and had to jack the volume. Even then, it sounds small and muffled...nowhere near the power of the cd. 

Anyway, Im glad you like it. I have high hopes for the Bungle reissues..although I will probably wait for reviews before rushing to buy. 

Really?!? I wonder if I just have a bum set although as I said, Ive seen similar complaints elsewhere. I was listening to an original Harvest pressing of Wire's "Chairs Missing" which sounded great. I put Suspended Animation afterwards and had to jack the volume. Even then, it sounds small and muffled...nowhere near the power of the cd. 

Anyway, Im glad you like it. I have high hopes for the Bungle reissues..although I will probably wait for reviews before rushing to buy. 

Dude, I hope you're not sporting a Crosley...

I'll join the others in saying that all of the five LP's sound excellent. And even though the surface of the records is somewhat scuffed from fabrication and or handling in manufacture, I've only heard a pop on the first record. Otherwise, all smooth.

Dude, I hope you're not sporting a Crosley...

I'll join the others in saying that all of the five LP's sound excellent. And even though the surface of the records is somewhat scuffed from fabrication and or handling in manufacture, I've only heard a pop on the first record. Otherwise, all smooth.

I got mine today and listened to all of the LPs except the first one.

Suspended Animation I had to do a bit of fine EQing to get it to sound a bit better and turn up the volume a bit but once I did it sounded awesome! Delirium sounds the best of the set.

My copies of Suspended Animation and S/T are a bit warped sadly but doesn't affect the play too much.

I've listened to them all and have no complaints! (Except my suspended animation being a bit warped)

I got mine today and listened to all of the LPs except the first one.

Suspended Animation I had to do a bit of fine EQing to get it to sound a bit better and turn up the volume a bit but once I did it sounded awesome! Delirium sounds the best of the set.

My copies of Suspended Animation and S/T are a bit warped sadly but doesn't affect the play too much.

Something curious: A local store had loose copies of the records from this boxset... anyone else noticed this somewhere else? 

Just wondering if they were made available individually outside the box, or maybe the store had a fucked up box and decided to sell them individually outside the set... (can't think of another explanation).

Anyone able to put the paper obi back in place after opening it?

I didn't even try to be honest. One, because it got a little "wavey" in transit if that makes sense? Like the shrink-wrap was too tight or something. And second because I know it would end up getting damaged from putting in/pulling it out from my shelf or from putting in/pulling out records next too it.

I had a hell of a time even getting the OBI off, so I wasn't even going to bother trying to put it back on. After a couple days I decided to give it a shot, as it was just sitting on myself. And lo and behold it slid right on.

If you're having trouble, try going the opposite direction. It slides on and off with ease towards the bottom, but towards the top I have to slowly wiggle it on.

• 2 months later...

Finally scored a copy of this today. Haven't listened to it yet, but I reckon the 'cabinet' looks and feels great. I agree that some of the original artwork would have been nice on the record sleeves, but overall I'm happy with how it looks. 

Going to spin the records in order over the weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I post this for anyone still looking for a copy...

A local record shop still has this boxset, for $64 CAD. They don't have web mailorder but I asked and they will ship to anyone interested.

The shop is Red Cat Records in Vancouver, BC.

I wonder how many copies of this set were made; anyone know?