Best US cities for DIY shows

I'll be traveling within the US a bunch this Fall and Spring, and am looking for towns with great house shows / DIY scenes. What are some ones that are a bit off the beaten path, that I may not think of?

A few years ago I saw a bunch of great house shows in Normal, IL, which was sorta unexpected. I'm looking for similar surprises.

Hit meh.

Birmingham, Alabama...surprisingly so

4-5 house show spots, 2 "rival" DIY spots, local "punk" based record store that has instores from TigersJaw and Waxahatchee to Balance and Composure and Water Liars

We also have 2013's Best New Venue in America, Iron City, as well as Torche and The Hold Steady's favorite venue (that I happen to work at), The Bottletree

Best BBQ you could ask for next door to the cities first and only wood fired oven pizza joint

Award winning breweries

Additionally, Carrie Brownstein dubbed Birmingham "The Next Portland"....which, personally, I think is quite a bit overstated

Long-Story Short, between the three bigger breweries in town, a minimum of 5 different venues and any number of house shows happening

We also have Hot and Hot Fish Club restaurant which is owned and operated by Chef Chris Hastings who beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef America

Richmond, Va near the campus of Virginia Common Wealth University

Virginia Beach, VA near the suburbs (far from the ocean front)  also has a great dive bar scene. you can pretty much pick any crappy bar and they will let you play for what ever money the door collects.  Big military town, so the closer you can get to a base, the better.

I started to write a post describing a few areas in Madison, but I find it a bit awkward as most "house show / DIY" spots need to be kept on the DL.  Milwaukee in particular seems to have problems with law enforcement trolling the internet/social media looking for events/addressess to bust.  Not sure if anybody else feels the same way.

Maybe that just means you can leave Wisconsin off of your itinerary.

I started to write a post describing a few areas in Madison, but I find it a bit awkward as most "house show / DIY" spots need to be kept on the DL.  Milwaukee in particular seems to have problems with law enforcement trolling the internet/social media looking for events/addressess to bust.  Not sure if anybody else feels the same way.

Maybe that just means you can leave Wisconsin off of your itinerary.

It sucks to say, but you should skip in.

My life goal would be to open a small venue focusing on punk and hardcore. In Wisconsin it would probably have to be a bar too to stay in business.

I mean, I get the whole having to leave addresses off the internet thing can be kind of a bummer to find the shows, but when you do find them THOSE PEOPLE AND PLACES ARE SOME OF THE BEST PEOPLE AND PLACES I KNOW! When the flyers say ASK A PUNK, go for it! Most of the folks will be more than willing to let you know.

I mean, I get the whole having to leave addresses off the internet thing can be kind of a bummer to find the shows, but when you do find them THOSE PEOPLE AND PLACES ARE SOME OF THE BEST PEOPLE AND PLACES I KNOW! When the flyers say ASK A PUNK, go for it! Most of the folks will be more than willing to let you know.

if there are any cool up coming shows please let me know.

My biggest gripe is the lack of information surrounding shows. Most often I won't hear about a show until 2 days before (or after) and as a result I already have plans.

Flyers will say super obscure shit like. Band: the dick fuckers genre: shit punk location: punksville usa. Like what the hell does any of that mean.

I'll message borg ward asking about a show I see is coming only to get no answer. Or I'll message the band directly and they have no details.

The only place that does a remotely good job promoting shows is cactus club and as a result its the only place I've seen a show.

http://www.facebook.com/milwaukee.shows/events

Dunno if you've seen this page. I think just about every time I've needed an address from something here, I've gotten it by just asking on the event page. If you see something you're interested in, let me know and I can do my best to at least give you at least an approximate location because, admittedly, I am bad at remembering most of the addresses.