PO: Black Clouds - Dreamcation

Sounds like they've gone all Caspian?

Wait, how would this even be considered a negative?

Not sure how you think this sounds like a different band.  It sounds like Black Clouds to me.  I respect what you're saying but disagree.  Plus, it's pretty hard to base what an entire album will sound like off a 3 minute song.

Bingo.

Just going off the artwork, the title, and the music. What else? Nothing wrong with Caspian, just loved these guys because they stood out from the pack with everything I already mentioned. I guess I am the only one who sees a different direction? I did still buy the record. We can only wait to see how the whole thing sounds.

I haven't even listened to the new track yet, but I just interpreted the phrase "gone all Caspian" to hold a negative connotation.  We're entitled to disagree, but I actually feel like Caspian are among the best at what they do.  Over their discography, they've proven that they're capable of way more than just cookie-cutter post-rock and crescendos.  (Especially with Waking Season.)  If I were in a band that was compared to Caspian, I'd be flattered.

But in anticipation of the new Black Clouds, I went back and listened to Everything Is Not Going To Be OK last night.  It's certainly heavier - at times - than a lot of generic post-rock... but there are totally some Caspian moments on that album, too.  And I say that in the best way possible.  Just really well post-rock with appropriate builds, riffs, and tempo.

Obviously I hope that Black Clouds continue to carve their own niche into the overwhelming spectrum of "instrumental music", and I do believe they'll have a good variety / a few surprises up their sleeve with the new record.  Chalk it up to optimism, but I have a gut feeling they won't be aping Caspian anytime soon.

Just to clarify again, I'm not against Caspian, I have all of their records. I just don't want Black Clouds to sound like them. This band had a darker sound that set them apart from the lighter, glimmering, and soaring post rock that we usually buy and enjoy. Black Clouds sounded like a deep, dark cave dripping with stalagmites with the ground covered in guano. I appreciated that about them.

I enjoy EINGTBOK- got referred to them via Pandora some time ago (they are in my 300 want to own on vinyl list - but mp3's have to do for now) 

I will wait to hear this one out, don't think it will sell out.  Excellent postrock, with my favorite tracks also being the 'darker' ones, which I always referred to in my head as Nadja-light ....and wanting them to take it a notch heavier.

Caspian rule, in every department.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A board member was selling their clear copy to raise some funds and I bought it a month or so ago, having listened once or twice, and being a bit 'disappointed' vs EINGTBOK.  Got it cleaned and brushed, and just keep forgetting to post here for my friends who had expressed a bit of a let down - give it another go.  

I am so glad to have revisited this album, because I really look forward to spinning it now.

disclosures: none, not friends with band members, nor receiving any remuneration for this advertisement ;)