Gritty Pirates Press Vinyl?

SBarry

I've bought a few records from various labels that went through Pirates Press and a few have this gritty almost sand like residue on the records. Usually on any that have a "haze" color variant. Just was curious if anyone else has noticed this because it's a pain to clean it off as I don't want to ruin the record or my needle during playback.

EDIT: sorry just saw this has been discussed before, I'm on mobile :/

I've bought a few records from various labels that went through Pirates Press and a few have this gritty almost sand like residue on the records. Usually on any that have a "haze" color variant. Just was curious if anyone else has noticed this because it's a pain to clean it off as I don't want to ruin the record or my needle during playback.

I don't have a haze color variant,however I have a splatter that came through pirate press and a good clean made it sound fine.

I don't have a haze color variant,however I have a splatter that came through pirate press and a good clean made it sound fine.

I have a few other records they have pressed (Reaper Records usually uses them) and they are fine but I have maybe 3-4 maybe even more that when I open the record from its shrink wrap and go to listen to it I'm like wtf is this sand inside the paper sleeve?!

What everyone has said. They're kind of known for that.

Braid's haze variant of No Coast was covered in the most "sand" I've ever seen. It was like they were shipped from the beach.

It brushes off fine, just feels like you're rubbing the lp with steel wool when you pull it out of the sleeve.

The GZ Media plant is where the dust coveret records originate from. I have had plenty of those from them, but never seen any from another plant. What they do is adding vinyl mass in pulverized form, instead of the usual pellets, and that is how you get the haze effect - and the grainy residue. Why it can end up on any other records they press, is a great mystery. Can't be all that safe a workplace environment if sandy residue flows free in the air between production runs.

The main problems with the dust is that the haze effect records get an annoying amount of surface noise (I still haven't heard one that sounded decent), and that it will scuff the records inside the sleeves during transit, when they move ever so slightly around.

We stopped doing haze variants a while ago because of this.  

It doesn't really cause any problems, aside from having to answer emails and board posts about it.  

The way that it was explained to me from Pirates is that the finer pellets that the haze needs causes a larger amount of "vinyl dust" to be kicked up and out of the hoppers or giant sacks of vinyl and that it basically fills the area around where they are pressed and gets everywhere.

There also is (or was) a limit put on how many of the haze you can get pressed at once because of this.  

Clean off the record and it will be a-ok.