Looking for good bookshelf speakers.

(Probably been done many times, but oh well.)

So, I've been saving up for my new set up.

I've already narrowed it down to:

TT: Music Hall MMF 2.2

Amp: Yamaha A-S500BL

Now all that's left are some good speakers.

I don't know a lot about stereo electronics and speakers are up there.

All I'm looking for are some great bookshelf speakers that have great sound, good bass (when I play Hip-Hop), and that there's no muddiness (making up words) when I decide to crank it up past eleven.

Any suggestions?

Doing my best to spend under $300, so keep that in mind as well.

One random thing I ask is can I buy an adapter for Bluetooth? I listen to podcasts on my phone a lot and would like the option to be able to hear it through my speakers, if even possible.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Some very solid buys currently up on audiogon:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-epos-m5i-speakers-2014-10-28-speakers-10461-bronx-ny

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-epos-els-8-speakers-mint-in-factory-box-2014-10-08-speakers-80020-broomfield-co

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-era-d4-compact-bookshelf-black-high-gloss-2014-10-30-speakers-97236-portland-or

as for this:

One random thing I ask is can I buy an adapter for Bluetooth? I listen to podcasts on my phone a lot and would like the option to be able to hear it through my speakers, if even possible.

Here's a much cheaper and sonically superior solution:

CMR-203_0017-bb1cab63ee167a0f57a1a13d09f

I enjoy my JBL L830 bookshelf speakers. They are robust, 27lbs each, and quite bassy. I don't use a sub with them. They are built like tanks, have excellent stereo separation, can be bi-wired, and the cherry finish is quite nice. I got a used set on Audiogon a few years ago for $270. I think they retail closer to $500 or 600.

They would be prefect for hip hop and you can crank it to 15 without blow out worries. Check out the reviews on Amazon. They are almost all positive.

I run a Rega RP40 into a 120wpc Yamaha amp into the JBLs and it sounds fantastic.

Damn it, too many options..

B&W is too rich for my blood. I know those are one of the top shelf speaker brands.

The ones I'm mainly thinking about is:

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Epos (don't know which model to choose)

JBL L830

Mordant-Short Aviano 2s

Ahh, decisions..

make sure you keep an eye on the specs vs what your amp can handle.  The Epos Epic 2s are recommended pretty frequently due to the long-standing 50% discount on MusicDirect, but they are 4ohm impedance speakers--your amp can *probably* handle a 4 ohm load reliably but it's worth looking into.

B&W does make some good speakers. They also make some crap. Gotta be a bit more open-minded and try more speakers than just one brand!

I realize that but their "crap" is still better than most companies "good" stuff. I do agree though that every company has their failures. I was basically saying after the speakers I've auditioned and owned, they're what I've settled on (for now). As I said, the Klipschorns are my dream speakers for my particular setup. It's all about synergy and what works best for your equipment and ears especially. :-)

I'd also recommend checking Audiogon. You can find some screaming deals on there from time to time. It's where I scored my bookshelf B&W DM 600S3's for nearly half the price in near perfect condition. It's an avenue worth checking out anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that but their "crap" is still better than most companies "good" stuff. I do agree though that every company has their failures. I was basically saying after the speakers I've auditioned and owned, they're what I've settled on (for now). As I said, the Klipschorns are my dream speakers for my particular setup. It's all about synergy and what works best for your equipment and ears especially. :-)

I'd also recommend checking Audiogon. You can find some screaming deals on there from time to time. It's where I scored my bookshelf B&W DM 600S3's for nearly half the price in near perfect condition. It's an avenue worth checking out anyway.

The only Bowers and Wilkins I've heard that I liked were the 800 series.  The 600 and CM series never did anything for me, and personally I think you can find wayyyy better speakers for the money than those.

I'm a big fan of the Dali sound, but the Concept line does suffer from its "entry level" pedigree in pretty much every characteristic. The new Zensor line is quite a step up, but if you feel the low end is lacking, it's most likely that your room is just too big for the Concept 1 model. While a sub can somewhat fill the gap, it will never blend in seamlessly and produce as linear of response as a bigger speaker that fits your room size would. If you like the sound and ever decide to upgrade, look into the Ikon 2 Mk2. Amazing speakers for the price.

What's yr opinions on Dali Concept 1? MIne are pretty good, but I kinda wish there was a bit more oomph. I do run a sub though, and with that extra little help, the soundstage is very nice.

http://www.dali-speakers.com/en-US/Loudspeakers-1/CONCEPT-1.aspx

I've got a set of concept 2. The concept 1 were just lacking in bass, mid and high end. While the concept 2 aren't perfect, they sure are much better than the 1's. 

If you get lucky, you MIGHT be able to still find a set in JB hifi, but all my local JB's have moved on to the zensor line as the concept has been discontinued.

If you know anyone that works at JB, hit them up for a staff discount, and it'll be very worth your while. If not, just go in and ask for their best price, grumble a bit then ask them to throw in some speakerwire for the same price and buy them