The Original Cassette Collective Thread

I'm running out of space for mine, they're currently filling a shelf with some 10"s.  Anyone have a good shelving solution for cassettes?  Preferable something readily available and cheapish.

I'm thinking something like this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201048536926 But I'm wondering if you guys have any alternatives.  I should probably take a walk down to Value Village and see what they have lying around too.

I'm running out of space for mine, they're currently filling a shelf with some 10"s. Anyone have a good shelving solution for cassettes? Preferable something readily available and cheapish.

I'm thinking something like this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201048536926 But I'm wondering if you guys have any alternatives. I should probably take a walk down to Value Village and see what they have lying around too.

I use plastic bins on wheels. I know you can get them at target. I got mine in a grocery store. The work well and move easily.

I've got two new releases up for sale at: http://fearnotrecords.storenvy.com 

Kill The Shark - Isolation on green /70

-She Called Shotgun- 3 Years EP on 5 colors each out of 10

I've also got bundles of the colors and a bundle of each of our releases for $10, which includes both of those plus Amends - Here, There, & Nowhere Else.

http://fearnotrecords.storenvy.com

I'm running out of space for mine, they're currently filling a shelf with some 10"s.  Anyone have a good shelving solution for cassettes?  Preferable something readily available and cheapish.

I'm thinking something like this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201048536926 But I'm wondering if you guys have any alternatives.  I should probably take a walk down to Value Village and see what they have lying around too.

Those wooden tape holders are great. If you scour thrift stores you can find them cheap now and then. I have three of them and I don't think I've paid more than 3 bucks for one.

Tapes are such a pain in the ass to store though. I have all my punk;/hardcore demo tapes and whatnot on those wooden shelves, and I have a big plastic spinner full of black/death/doom metal tapes. Unfortunately, the bulk of my tapes, noise/ambient/synth/etc... do not have a legit home. They are all on a shelf in a closet.

I'd like to get or make some kind of card catalog type thing that fit cassettes.

Let's have everybody show off their tape set-up/storage area!

tumblr_n2abm9F6IF1rabirgo1_1280.png

Top deck is a fantastic-sounding Sony TC-WE605S that I repaired. Bottom deck is an Onkyo TA-2017 that I never fully repaired, but it works if I jam a Q-Tip in the play button. :D Both were found at Goodwill for $4.38.

Storage drawers were also bought at Goodwill for $2.38 a piece. I also have a really nice Napa Valley Box Company cassette rack, but I have no room to put it anywhere, so I'm rockin' the drawers for now.

i'm in.

tapetown_zps522e65e0.jpg

cassette collection thus far, minus my hell - trilogy boxset, which does not fit in this unit. plenty of doubles with jonrawks.

i went for the benno dvd tower which, while being a bit pricey, matches the expedits in my place. figured what the hell. plus it has enough space for all my cds in the top half of it. win win.

IMG_3776_zps0c2daf8e.jpg

deck is a naki rx-202. it's by no means their top of the line, but it was practically brand new when i got it, and was only $50. i'd never get any other brand name after my experience with this puppy.

I'm pretty confined to listening to my tapes on a broken Walkman, which I sometimes hook up to speakers with an aux cord. I know pretty weak, but I see a bunch of decks at thrift stores but I honestly don't know which ones would be the best. any brands of or tips to figuring out a good quality deck (if it works)?

I'm pretty confined to listening to my tapes on a broken Walkman, which I sometimes hook up to speakers with an aux cord. I know pretty weak, but I see a bunch of decks at thrift stores but I honestly don't know which ones would be the best. any brands of or tips to figuring out a good quality deck (if it works)?

Nakamichi's are probably the best, but I don't know how often they pop up in thrift stores. Mine is a 90's era Sony, which I love. Higher-end Onkyo's are great, but I would avoid mid and lower-end models. But if you're upgrading from a walkman, you'll notice an improvement with almost any deck. But, to be honest, I have NEVER seen a tape deck at a Goodwill that wasn't completely non-functional due to lack of belts. New belts are mandatory if you're gonna buy used. Afterwards, though, you'll probably have a great machine with not a lot of money invested in it.

Let's have everybody show off their tape set-up/storage area!

tumblr_n2abm9F6IF1rabirgo1_1280.png

Top deck is a fantastic-sounding Sony TC-WE605S that I repaired. Bottom deck is an Onkyo TA-2017 that I never fully repaired, but it works if I jam a Q-Tip in the play button. :D Both were found at Goodwill for $4.38.

Storage drawers were also bought at Goodwill for $2.38 a piece. I also have a really nice Napa Valley Box Company cassette rack, but I have no room to put it anywhere, so I'm rockin' the drawers for now.

sweet!

Super jealous of that ISIS demo tape.  I haven't seen one for sale in a few years (and am kicking myself for not buying it right away).  If you ever feel the need to part with that, let me know!  That's a gorgeous Nakamichi by the way.  I have a DR-3 and I love it, but yours makes mine look like a toothless hobo.

i'm in.

tapetown_zps522e65e0.jpg

cassette collection thus far, minus my hell - trilogy boxset, which does not fit in this unit. plenty of doubles with jonrawks.

i went for the benno dvd tower which, while being a bit pricey, matches the expedits in my place. figured what the hell. plus it has enough space for all my cds in the top half of it. win win.

IMG_3776_zps0c2daf8e.jpg

deck is a naki rx-202. it's by no means their top of the line, but it was practically brand new when i got it, and was only $50. i'd never get any other brand name after my experience with this puppy.

I love a Nak and have had more than my fair share of them over the years, the 202,303 and 505 have always been special to me with their unique take on auto reverse. I had a 303 and a 505 at different times and both were always know in our house as flipper.

The only other brand I have found to surpass them is Revox/Studer, that said I've never owned a Dragon or any of the other really high end ones but others I know that have agree on the Revox/Studer superiority just.

Sadly I am Nak free at the moment save a poorly BX150 so am obviously jealous but am always on the look out for them.