The Original Cassette Collective Thread

I assume he's referring to saturation of the market. Or maybe trying to defend your bank account.. that shits expensive lol

What are the negative effects of having more tape labels?

If it's the bank account, that's very thoughtful but I've spent my money on way stupider stuff. Alcohol, car insurance, tapes....wait.

Speaking of it being expensive to run a tape label, I buy tapes from this guy who is in a band called LAKE, good stuff you should check them out if you are in to groovy soft rock/pop, and he saves money on tapes by recording over tapes that Korean food marts in his city give away for free at their counters each month and used to just trow away the excess copies. Most of them you can't even tell are not brand new tapes, but for this one he forgot to record his stuff on it so it is just talking in Korean for an hour haha I thought at first it was part of the album. Pretty good Idea by him considering it allows him to get cases and tapes for free. 

qX0KFOf.jpg

What are the negative effects of having more tape labels?

If it's the bank account, that's very thoughtful but I've spent my money on way stupider stuff. Alcohol, car insurance, tapes....wait.

Hahaha for real I spend waaaayyy too much on tapes. My girlfriend thinks I am insane.

Lots of poorly dubbed tapes from people who don't really know what they are doing.

While those exist, that's not really a result of an increased number of labels. Poorly dubbed tapes were being made when there were a lot less labels than today, wouldn't you agree?

Sure they were, but take Pope for example, they could've used a label that would've put out good tapes, but they used a buddies who had decided to start their own, and they sound like crap and I've been waiting to hear from them for about 6 months

Sure they were, but take Pope for example, they could've used a label that would've put out good tapes, but they used a buddies who had decided to start their own, and they sound like crap and I've been waiting to hear from them for about 6 months

Yeah, you're right about that one, but that's easy. Just don't order from Paco Tapes anymore.

If I were to begin producing tapes, I'm probably gonna run through a lot of 'test' tapes making sure there's a full clear sound with no extra noise and no need to, like, turn the volume way up to hear anything. That part is hugely important to me, but I guess I could see how it wouldn't be to others. If I'm not thoroughly enjoying the tape I created, throw it out, is probably going to be the rule. 'If I bought this would I feel ripped off' is another good one.

Only slightly related, but I received that Domino order from before, and they are phenomenal examples of well done tapes, but I'm not really surprised a successful record label with top names wouldn't skimp on the product. While it's very easy to spot some differences between them, I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the mastering of the individual albums rather than the quality of the tapes. Ducktails seemed a tad quieter, but it's because had more of a shoegazey wash of sounds that needed to balance out with each other - whereas Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca is pretty damn complex and intricate yet there's a lot of empty space between the sounds so they all seem to shine through so clearly. Identical tape models though. God. I spend a lot of time on tapes.

Little Flesh and Bone update - all pre-orders have been shipped for Sky Flying By, Wolves, Other Minds and Pray for Sound if your pre-order didn't include any other releases not listed.  Wolves and Other Minds are sold out, but there are still Sky Flying By and Pray For Sound tapes available at www.fleshandbonerecords.storenvy.com - they're going quick though!

Uh, sooo... after being excited about Cassette Store day for a couple months, I have to face the reality that there isn't a store within reasonable distance to me. Anybody who's going that's interested in snagging a couple things for me if they can? Perhaps I can throw a tape or LP or some bucks your way in exchange for the favor? That's in addition to the purchase and shippings costs, I hope that goes without saying

Yeah, you're right about that one, but that's easy. Just don't order from Paco Tapes anymore.

If I were to begin producing tapes, I'm probably gonna run through a lot of 'test' tapes making sure there's a full clear sound with no extra noise and no need to, like, turn the volume way up to hear anything. That part is hugely important to me, but I guess I could see how it wouldn't be to others. If I'm not thoroughly enjoying the tape I created, throw it out, is probably going to be the rule. 'If I bought this would I feel ripped off' is another good one.

Only slightly related, but I received that Domino order from before, and they are phenomenal examples of well done tapes, but I'm not really surprised a successful record label with top names wouldn't skimp on the product. While it's very easy to spot some differences between them, I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the mastering of the individual albums rather than the quality of the tapes. Ducktails seemed a tad quieter, but it's because had more of a shoegazey wash of sounds that needed to balance out with each other - whereas Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca is pretty damn complex and intricate yet there's a lot of empty space between the sounds so they all seem to shine through so clearly. Identical tape models though. God. I spend a lot of time on tapes.

You don't need to throw tapes out, they do perfectly fine redubbed, tapes are surprisingly lasting considering it's just a plastic film. Also Domino's probably able to get them produbbed by the manufacturers, which is something I can't swing right now, plus I also enjoy doing the hard work myself. 

Also somewhat quiet tapes aren't too bad I'm recording them at +3db right now so they're loud, but you don't want to oversaturate them.