The Original Cassette Collective Thread

Only slightly related, but I received that Domino order from before, and they are phenomenal examples of well done tapes, but I'm not really surprised a successful record label with top names wouldn't skimp on the product. While it's very easy to spot some differences between them, I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the mastering of the individual albums rather than the quality of the tapes. Ducktails seemed a tad quieter, but it's because had more of a shoegazey wash of sounds that needed to balance out with each other - whereas Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca is pretty damn complex and intricate yet there's a lot of empty space between the sounds so they all seem to shine through so clearly. Identical tape models though. God. I spend a lot of time on tapes.

Never heard the Dirty Projectors tape, but I'd probably say the Ducktails is easily my best sounding tape, as well as the one I have listened to the most. I just feel it was made for the cassette medium. Speaking of being quiet I never got that from my Ducktails Flower Lane tape, but did from my copy of Days.

Uh, sooo... after being excited about Cassette Store day for a couple months, I have to face the reality that there isn't a store within reasonable distance to me. Anybody who's going that's interested in snagging a couple things for me if they can? Perhaps I can throw a tape or LP or some bucks your way in exchange for the favor? That's in addition to the purchase and shippings costs, I hope that goes without saying

I'm down to pick up some cassettes... PM me a list and I'll call M Theory to see if they'll have them in and ask for their prices! Or you can call them I'll be at work til 6. 

(M Theory in San Diego)

I only ask for gas fees! Cause gas out here is like fucking 3.77$ minimum octane 

10683615_1498071797115157_23225548401569

Happy cassette store day everyone! We couldn't offer any special new releases this year, but we're offering our very first sale ever. For the rest of the day use promo code "cassettestoreday" and get 20% off any of our releases - DO NOT use this code on apparel, applies for tapes only. Go shop now! www.fleshandbonerecords.storenvy.com

New batch is available from Tranquility Tapes

http://tranquilitytapes.blogspot.com/

The new cassettes are:

• TQ65: Tuluum Shimmering - Dark Star c100 TuluumShimmering-DarkStar_zpsb3f26b3e.jp
  • TQ66: Bluesharp - Sinkhole Flora c30 Bluesharp-SinkholeFlora_zps2910f978.jpg
  • TQ67: Cenote Glow - Musa Paradisiaca c60 CenoteGlow-MusaParadisiaca_zps1e73d72e.j
  • TQ68: cloudsound - asperatus c38 cloudsound-asperatus_zpseb257aa2.jpg
  • TQ69: Charles Barabé - Dates & Confessions c52 CharlesBarabe-DatesandConfessions_zps5ab

I am stoked for the Charles Barabé tape!

I'd probably like the Tuluum Shimmering too, but I can't hang with tapes that are that long.

I posted this on the Cassette Store Day thread, but figured I'd try here to:

Is anyone heading out to this today and would be willing to pick up one or two items for me?
don't wanna impose on anyone, but no stores here in Australia took part.

I'm hoping some leftovers will go up online at some point, but I figured I'd try here first.

New batch is available from Tranquility Tapes

http://tranquilitytapes.blogspot.com/

The new cassettes are:

• TQ65: Tuluum Shimmering - Dark Star c100 TuluumShimmering-DarkStar_zpsb3f26b3e.jp
  • TQ66: Bluesharp - Sinkhole Flora c30 Bluesharp-SinkholeFlora_zps2910f978.jpg
  • TQ67: Cenote Glow - Musa Paradisiaca c60 CenoteGlow-MusaParadisiaca_zps1e73d72e.j
  • TQ68: cloudsound - asperatus c38 cloudsound-asperatus_zpseb257aa2.jpg
  • TQ69: Charles Barabé - Dates & Confessions c52 CharlesBarabe-DatesandConfessions_zps5ab

I am stoked for the Charles Barabé tape!

I'd probably like the Tuluum Shimmering too, but I can't hang with tapes that are that long.

how on earth are they getting all of these artists to agree to this same aesthetic?!  it looks awesome!

So didn't think I ever would go through with it, but today I just ordered tapes to start my own very low scale tape label. Started out as a joke but then some of my friends pitched in money and I bought 55 tapes. Now we are gonna do a small run of some stupid songs we did in high school. Probably $50 down the drain but it will be funny.

I started a record label/art collective called Near Mint. We are releasing cassettes for now, as we build up to vinyl. You can read more about our label in an interview we did with Property Of Zack HERE. Our first release is The Obsessives' Manners EP which can be bought here: http://www.wearenearmint.com/products/533477-the-obsessives-manners

The 2 variants can be seen below, which are Barney Purple /25 and Blue Tint /50

2ajcbhf.jpg

Almost feels a bit anticlimactic after all the label-posts on this page, but alas-- Today, DRIP TAPES IS BORN. 
I have been brimming with excitement to share this with you guys for so long. For the past five months, blood, sweat and (mostly) tears were shed as the birthing process took form. 

You can find information in this thread! 

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/106434-po-now-4-new-cassettes-from-drip-tapes-halloween/

We will be debuting four cassettes on Halloween:
Dandelion Hands - bleak week
Jackson Fishauf - LEGITIMATE
The Amphibious Man / Horrorscope - Split Tape
Sidewalks and Skeletons - FUTURE GHOSTS

Even if you don't purchase cassette tapes, please do look into the artists and their albums! Every one of them contains truly enjoyable music from various genres.

Love you guys. Hope you enjoy. 

Caroline Teagle does all the artwork. 69 releases in and they are always a similar aesthetic and consistently good!

Musically, Tranquility is always top notch too. I end up getting at least one or two tapes from every batch.

I've been meaning to pick up one of their batches!  Might as well start with this one.  I agree that it's gorgeous overall.

Hey Justice and dkrtz, how do you guys find such great artists to put out on your labels? I noticed the artists were from different places than where y'all live and I really want to end up releasing some great stuff as well after my first release, which is going to be more of a joke between my friends and I.

Almost feels a bit anticlimactic after all the label-posts on this page

Sorry, haha. But not really :) I too put a lot of work into my label after pondering the idea for years. Congrats on starting your own too!

I just wanted to say thanks to all the VC members who supported Near Mint and ordered from us yesterday! We only have 7 copies of the "Barney" variant left for anyone who's interested: http://www.wearenearmint.com/products/533477-the-obsessives-manners

A lot of cool releases coming up, one of which is going to be announced this month. We'll also be venturing more into the art collective aspect of our label once we have a few more releases out.

We also have a bunch of cool freebies for mail-order, one of which are these mints which I'm really stoked about:

2m2geog.jpg

Hey Justice and dkrtz, how do you guys find such great artists to put out on your labels? I noticed the artists were from different places than where y'all live and I really want to end up releasing some great stuff as well after my first release, which is going to be more of a joke between my friends and I.

Well I started up drip tapes for the sole purpose of spreading awareness and availability of bands and musicians that I've long enjoyed who dont have physical products yet, and I wanna help change that! So the answer is, just aim for artists you're passionate about. I mean, I live on the coast of Mississippi but I was still able to work with jackson who lives in Canada and sidewalks and skeletons who is from the UK. The less helpful answer is that there is literally no music scene in coastal Mississippi, so its not like there was an option on my end. Haha

And, Corey, ill have to check that tape out man! The mint extras are genius!! I had a hearty chuckle at the photo

Well I started up drip tapes for the sole purpose of spreading awareness and availability of bands and musicians that I've long enjoyed who dont have physical products yet, and I wanna help change that! So the answer is, just aim for artists you're passionate about. I mean, I live on the coast of Mississippi but I was still able to work with jackson who lives in Canada and sidewalks and skeletons who is from the UK. The less helpful answer is that there is literally no music scene in coastal Mississippi, so its not like there was an option on my end. Haha

Ok cool, I know what you mean about smaller towns with no music scene. I used to live in a place just like that in GA. Now I live in Atlanta which has a much bigger music scene so maybe I can find some local artists or take your advice of reaching out to people! When I bought tapes I went ahead and got 25 extra c-45's for the purpose of hopefully putting a real album out. This thread in addition to the guys who run this label https://ponchorecords.bandcamp.com/ really inspired me to do all of this! Glad others love tapes as much as I do!