So this Sony hack thing...

So your opinion is that Martin Luther King Jr. Should have just kept his mouth shut?

A very good point.  No?  In light of people already dying in being persecuted you should definitely speak up (in order to hopefully save more lives than you loose).  As soon as you enter in the the realm of people dying versus other people dying things get very messy, and neither of our arguments hold water.

If The Interview was some profound sublime statement on the state of life in NK and that we shouldn't be complacent about it then maybe I'd be a little more concerned about free speech.  I realize that drawing a line and saying "This should be defended" versus "this should not be defended" is a slippery slope, and that is your point, but really... common sense dictates that no one should be hurt over THAT movie, period.

A very good point.  No?  In light of people already dying in being persecuted you should definitely speak up (in order to hopefully save more lives than you loose).  As soon as you enter in the the realm of people dying versus other people dying things get very messy, and neither of our arguments hold water.

If The Interview was some profound sublime statement on the state of life in NK and that we shouldn't be complacent about it then maybe I'd be a little more concerned about free speech.  I realize that drawing a line and saying "This should be defended" versus "this should not be defended" is a slippery slope, and that is your point, but really... common sense dictates that no one should be hurt over THAT movie, period.

I 100% concede that this particular film makes it difficult to take the issue seriously (I already said that above) and that if you swap some of the names around but keep the scenario the same, it becomes far more difficult to ignore.

However, I am not willing to state that simply because this particular film is a tasteless, trite, piece of junk, that the principals do not apply.

If you threaten me to keep me from making a statement, I couldn't give a fuck and I'd say it anyway. Our right to freedom of speech as protected by the 2nd amendment is our freedom from the government stopping us speaking out. That's the difference here. Sony could have ignored the threat and released it anyway.

Are you one of those people who think yelling "Fire" in a public place is protected by the 2nd amendment?

I don't disagree with you that something should be done, but Sony are the people who decided to pull this. They weren't forced to by our government, which is what the 2nd amendment protects us from.

I think you mean the first amendment. The second amendment is the right to a militia. Unless you meant that if someone yells "fire" in a theater we are free to shoot them.

Or China.  There was a time or two when North Korea got a little too rambunctious and China simply turned off their oil supply for a day claiming some non-specific "issues".  (both NKs oil and internet pipelines run through China)

I feel like Sony found a way to make a bunch money out of all of this and are probably going to make more off this movie than they would have otherwise.

Well, they may make more on this particular movie than they would have otherwise...but there is still the matter of the whole hacking thing.  that damage is going to be significant in the long term.

Well, they may make more on this particular movie than they would have otherwise...but there is still the matter of the whole hacking thing.  that damage is going to be significant in the long term.

I know.  This is going to be something that impacts them for years and years.  My comment was more in jest than anything else.

It's playing at my local theater and according to IGN it's supposed to be VOD the same day. I don't get the whole 'going to the movies on Christmas even if you're not Jewish' thing, but if I'm bottles of red wine deep I wouldn't be opposed to renting it while in the comfort of my own home.

I feel like Sony found a way to make a bunch money out of all of this and are probably going to make more off this movie than they would have otherwise.

Actually, films are insured so that if anything prevents its ultimate release, production companies can collect a giant insurance claim on it. If 4chan leaked the film without a major release, any claim would be void and sony would be at a complete financial loss for the film. So they didn't find their balls, they just upped their greed.

Actually, films are insured so that if anything prevents its ultimate release, production companies can collect a giant insurance claim on it. If 4chan leaked the film without a major release, any claim would be void and sony would be at a complete financial loss for the film. So they didn't find their balls, they just upped their greed.

Interesting.  I'm not surprised by that at all.