Angry messages and PMs from sellers/buyers

The best one for me was when some moron sprinkled glitter in a Thee Oh Sees and White Fence I ordered from them on discogs. They said they did it to be festive Asia was around Christmas. I was like, well, thanks to your festivity, there are hundreds of little scratches all over both records. Idiot.

I feel like your conception of what I'm doing is way cooler and more exciting than what I really am doing, which is having a bit of inside fun with a poster I know from another forum from years ago, asking sincere questions about buying/selling, and enjoying the Dolph Lundgren references.  So, in summary, yes and yes.  Let's throw down.

No need to throw down, I can do that with my wifes panties, I have no harsh feelings towards you or any of this, just trying to see this objectively. 

Maybe you are asking sincere questions about buying/selling but that's not how this thread started off. The reality is it started off with you essentially bragging about how you scored a free record and a seller was quite pissed about it. You see, the feedback you left isn't what anyone has beef over. The beef a lot seem to be pointing out comes from the fact that eBay awarded you the record with out having to have returned the record for a fair trade off since you were unsatisfied. Clearly you are playing along with the system that eBay has provided to favor the buyer from repeating another transaction in the future. Maybe it would help to know if the seller did get screwed over and to know whether the refund came from his pockets or not. I'm betting it did. Why else would he send an angry message? And how else would he know you got a refund. Even if he didn't have the refund come from his pockets, you're now part of the reason why eBay keeps jacking up it's fees towards sellers, so they can essentially keep refunding people who get "different description items" and in turn the buyer is ultimately punished because with this knowledge and fear, sellers need to jack up their prices to make up for the morally wrong buyer who doesn't return the item because buyer wouldn't give seller a chance to work it out. eBay should've forced you to return the item. This goes for any transaction in life. I'm so sick of consumerism, people need to get over having their cakes and eating it too.

Dude needs to lay off the coke

I got a 7" record in an envelope with bubble wrap (no cardboard inside to protect it) and a corner got bent in shipping as it seemed like the package was a bit mishandled by USPS (as they often are).  I wasn't too bent out of shape about the bent corner, so I left the buyer a positive rating with the constructive comment "I wish the packing had been more securely padded but I was happy with the record."

Dude went ballistic about the positive feedback...

"Is this a fucking joke? It was in a bubble mailer and padded with shipping bubble padding. The 7" came to you in perfect condition I'm sure. How could you have possibly wanted me to ship it? I don't appreciate this snarky unnecessary feedback and if you want a full refund, you can send the record back to me. Until then, go fuck yourself you whiny pretentious little bitch. You don't deserve a record like that for only 12 dollars."[/size]

I messaged back about cardboard protecting records, his reply.[/size]

"[/size]I've bought a lot of records on eBay and none if them have come in cardboard mailers. Like I said they are expensive. If the record was $100, I can see how shelling out $5 for a mailer might make sense. But it was $13. After the costs of the mailer and shipping, there would have ben no point in selling the record, because I wouldn't have made any money on it. I think the fact that you got a rare record for such a good deal would necessitate some flexibility on your part. Unfortunately, you seem to be a collector and a reviewer, so I can see how you would be overwhelmingly particular no matter the case. [/size]

Furthermore, I'm not looking for constructive criticism. I sold you a record at an extremely fair price and packaged it well. It's a simple transaction that you are indeed making difficult. I know this isn't a productive conversation, but it would be nice if you at least tried to understand the view of the seller."[/size]

No need to throw down, I can do that with my wifes panties, I have no harsh feelings towards you or any of this, just trying to see this objectively.

Maybe you are asking sincere questions about buying/selling but that's not how this thread started off. The reality is it started off with you essentially bragging about how you scored a free record and a seller was quite pissed about it. You see, the feedback you left isn't what anyone has beef over. The beef a lot seem to be pointing out comes from the fact that eBay awarded you the record with out having to have returned the record for a fair trade off since you were unsatisfied. Clearly you are playing along with the system that eBay has provided to favor the buyer from repeating another transaction in the future. Maybe it would help to know if the seller did get screwed over and to know whether the refund came from his pockets or not. I'm betting it did. Why else would he send an angry message? And how else would he know you got a refund. Even if he didn't have the refund come from his pockets, you're now part of the reason why eBay keeps jacking up it's fees towards sellers, so they can essentially keep refunding people who get "different description items" and in turn the buyer is ultimately punished because with this knowledge and fear, sellers need to jack up their prices to make up for the morally wrong buyer who doesn't return the item because buyer wouldn't give seller a chance to work it out. eBay should've forced you to return the item. This goes for any transaction in life. I'm so sick of consumerism, people need to get over having their cakes and eating it too.

This might not change your interpretation but I had the record packed and ready to ship, however, it just sat on my dresser for 5 days because the seller did not approve the return through eBay.

They had a clear simple message sent to them from eBay with a button that said "Approve Return" and they had 5 days to click it and I would have received a tracked shipping label from eBay and sent the record back.

Instead, the seller ignored it for 2 days and, when I politely checked in about the request, they said they never received the request return from eBay and asked me to send the record directly to them.

When I sent them a link to the eBay request where they could click "Accept Return", they said "Oh, thanks" and then wrote a comment on the request saying "I already told the buyer to return the package." They didn't reply to me after that, so I just accepted that, for whatever reason, they didn't want to process the return in a way that eBay could track and log.

3 days later, the time window for the seller to take action ended (eBay gives sellers 5 days to approve returns or deny them) and within a few minutes eBay auto-closed the refund request and issued a courtesy refund. I never requested a courtesy refund or used Jedi mind tricks to make all these steps happen that led to me receiving a kind of refund I never knew existed.

In the span of those 5 days, I called eBay and verified that I was proceeding correctly and the customer support member told me "Yes. You want to keep all communication and transactions through eBay." So, I figured I was doing what I should be.

The seller was not charged. As far as I know, my courtesy refund has not caused or participated in a butterfly effect that has impacted millions of eBay sellers and cost them money.

And I 100% assure you I was not bragging about getting a free record. I was anxious because I was recently sent a big, long message saying I was a liar and thief and 4 paragraphs of other things, I didn't know if it would continue into a bigger deal, and I wanted to hear if other people had experienced the same thing and had stories to share.

Finally, I really don't understand the wife's panties line. I mean, I get the direct connection to throwing down and wife's panties but I don't think you remove a woman's underwear by throwing them down. It's more of a pulling down action. Or, if you are more into communication, you would ask the woman to remove them through words or behavioral cues, so it'd be "engaging in consensual sex-ing down". Also, I was diffusing aggression by being facetious and now I feel bad that I may have unintentionally deflected the aggression to an innocent party's panties.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here's one I literally just sent out to a discogs seller. The order was for a cd and a record.

Name redacted because I don't want to shitlist the seller here, and this is all easily avoidable stuff that he maybe can learn from in the future and become a more effective seller. That said, am I out of line for not wanting to accept or support this quality of service? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Hello **REDACTED**,

I received the package today, however due to numerous instances of dishonesty which prevented this transaction from going as smoothly as it should have, I have to say I am really not at all pleased with the purchase or service received. Any one of these things would be an honest and rectifiable mistake, but put together, it's all rather disappointing.

1. Placed order for multiple items from you, I got an invoice for a total higher than your advertised price, which I had to ask to be corrected.

2. You told me the shipment was sent out on the morning of February 26. When nearly 2 weeks had passed I asked for a tracking number to see what might be up with the packages. You avoided giving me the tracking information and only told me to check again on Friday. Looking at the package now, it says it was not actually mailed out until March 10th.

3. Verbatim from your own profile: "**NOTE: Vinyl and CD will never get shipped together! We want you to receive items that are well taken care of at all times!" This howver was not the case as both cd and vinyl items in the order were in fact shipped together, in the same package.

4. As for the above, it's very likely that the items sustained damage from the improper shipping that I was assured would not occur, however I cannot tell, because the CD I ordered was not in the condition as advertised anyhow - both media and sleeve were listed as NM, however, the disc itself had several scratches, and the digipak case had brown residue stuck to it and staining which was quite visible on the white portions of the artwork.

The vinyl was exactly as advertised, however due to all the above instances, I will be returning my entire purchase for a full refund. Please provide a return shipping label and I will package the items as they were recieved.

Thank you, all the best,

- David

I don't think any of that was out of line. The only thing I could see him mentioning is the return shipping label since he could probably get away with having you pay to ship the items back.

True, if I opened a dispute it really could go either way. To be honest I may just cut my loss of whatever it would cost to ship it just so I can get it out of here, I really don't want to think about what might be brown and stuck to the back of the CD case.