Angry messages and PMs from sellers/buyers

The biggest problem is that most people have been conditioned to view neutral feedback, whether on eBay or Discogs, as pretty much negative.

If it worked as it was originally intended, I think it would have been fine to just leave a neutral head's up message saying a record was misgraded. As it stands, some buyers might look at the guy's feedback, see a neutral, not even read the comment, and pass on a possible purchase.

There are quite a few times I've left no feedback for a transaction that wasn't awesome. I leave negative for those ones that really suck; when both the product and interactions with the seller are really bad. I give the other party multiple chances to make it right but when they fail every single opportunity, then they get tagged with negative.

I've worked my fair share of customer service; I know that either party can be the culprit of a crap situation. I always make myself the one trying to be fair.

There should be a feedback score (for sellers) about all buyers.   Every buyer starts at 0 and every time they complain about a transaction, get an item credited, leave negative or neutral feedback, the number should go up to warn sellers that this buyer has the potential for trouble.  As a seller if I saw the buyer had a buyer feedback of (2) or greater I would cancel the transaction and immediately block that bidder from all future transactions.     Can anyone write an app for that?  

The problem with ebay is they protect, and hide, the complaint history of buyers.   Right now the only chance a seller has of finding (and blocking) a consistently bad buyer is through "feedback left for others" which I now check for every sale.  

Will the OP please post his ebay name.  

There should be a feedback score (for sellers) about all buyers.   Every buyer starts at 0 and every time they complain about a transaction, get an item credited, leave negative or neutral feedback, the number should go up to warn sellers that this buyer has the potential for trouble.  As a seller if I saw the buyer had a buyer feedback of (2) or greater I would cancel the transaction and immediately block that bidder from all future transactions.     Can anyone write an app for that?  

The problem with ebay is they protect, and hide, the complaint history of buyers.   Right now the only chance a seller has of finding (and blocking) a consistently bad buyer is through "feedback left for others" which I now check for every sale.  

Will the OP please post his ebay name.  

This wouldn't work at all

As someone who has been on eBay for over a decade, my number would be well above your arbitrary threshold of 2. 

And why should he post his eBay name? He left neutral feedback regarding a transaction that didn't warrant positive or negative feedback.

Always a difficult subject this from both a buyers and sellers perspective and we all look at it from our own position and standards. There are bad apples on both sides and it's very easy to assume and jump to conclusions from behind a keyboard.

So when buying from anywhere on the internet I use the old adage of buyer beware and when selling I don't hand over the goods until I see the colour of the money and the whites of the buyers eyes, saves me a lot of hassle and RSI injury.

i thought vinyl collectors were bad until i sold a few steelbooks from my own personal collection. i have actual diagnosed medicine prescribed ocd and i just dont understand how picky some people can be. ive had to issue a refund for about a third of the steelbooks ive sold, and i would put my hands up and take full responsibility if there was some visible, tangible defect, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. one guy asked me if the shrink wrap on one of the blu-rays was in perfect condition (with no snags, tears or air bubbles), but at least he had the courtesy to message me (it was fine, but i told him politely that i didnt think he should buy it). these guys want next level mint condition, but some of the standards they set are unreachable.

ebay should bring back the ability to post negative feedback for buyers. Not being able to is so fucking stupid. I have never had as many problems with buyers until they changed the feedback process. Now I've had all kinds of scammers and liars. And there is nothing a seller can do about it.

Paranoia is a hell of a drug. :)

If you have proof that a buyer or seller is scamming you, contact the marketplace and give them the info.

If you don't have proof but you have a sneaking suspicion that a buyer or seller is scamming you, use the marketplace's available tools to cancel the transaction or request a return.

If you don't have proof of a scam and the marketplace's tools allow a buyer or seller to take an action you don't like despite your appeal, that is part of doing business.

I can't think of any situation where contacting the buyer or seller directly and launching a manifesto detailing your analysis of their scam, thought process, and how you knew their plan all along achieves anything. If your manifesto is true, why waste time trying to get a reaction from a scammer? Report that sucker and let the authorities of the marketplace ban him or worse.

Letting out aggression on the other half of a transaction has zero place in a business deal. It only serves the party who is going into the sale with baggage and issues and, even then, it gives you the satisfaction of retaliation but hurts you when eBay or Discogs looks through the messages and sees one party has been polite and following the marketplace's process and the other has been typing in all caps and making personal remarks.

With that said, my eBay username is vigilantePI and I'll be in the VC town square at high noon waiting for you. :)

I feel for you.

Ebay used to be such a better place. People were considerate about condition. If there was an issue it could be sorted out without ebay getting involved. Now everyone is a fucking prick looking to screw you out of your money.

A few months ago, I sold a poster on eBay. The bidding went up extremely higher than I was expecting. I was paid right away and shipped the item. USPS lost it for a week, but it ended up getting there (100 miles away) within 12 days. (tracking proves it was dropped off at the post office the day after the auction ended). The day before he got it, he asked for a refund and said he didn't want to wait any longer and accused me of never sending it out. After he got it, I thought the story was over.

Now that it's been several weeks, a few more of the same posters start popping up on ebay. They sell for about half what this one sold for. A week later, he emails me and says he's going to send it back and he'd like a refund because there's a scratch on it. I told him there was no scratch.

Then he opened a case with ebay. I called ebay, told them the whole story. They said I didn't do anything wrong and they would back me. I kept answering his emails for two weeks and we argued about it. I offered him a partial refund.

Then he escalates the claim and says he's done arguing. eBay gives him a "courtesy refund". I get an email from paypal saying there is a $250 hold on my account and that I have two weeks to pay before they send it to collections. Any money that comes into my paypal account during this time automatically goes to ebay. I try to appeal. The poster shows up on my doorstep. eBay tells me there's nothing I can do. I can either pay or not pay. If I choose to not pay... collections yada yada yada.

So yeah. They can take the money out of your pocket. At least the guy sent the poster back.

Which by the way, there was nothing wrong with.

Fuck that guy.

ebay should bring back the ability to post negative feedback for buyers. Not being able to is so fucking stupid. I have never had as many problems with buyers until they changed the feedback process. Now I've had all kinds of scammers and liars. And there is nothing a seller can do about it.

They told me they don't because if you left me negative feedback as a seller, I'd give you negative feedback as a buyer. They should do a system like airbnb when you can't see the feedback until both parties post it. You have two weeks to leave feedback. If you don't the opportunity closes and the other persons feedback gets posted regardless.

They told me they don't because if you left me negative feedback as a seller, I'd give you negative feedback as a buyer. They should do a system like airbnb when you can't see the feedback until both parties post it. You have two weeks to leave feedback. If you don't the opportunity closes and the other persons feedback gets posted regardless.

That sounds like a really good system.

I still cant believe people use ebay for records

I do not think I have bought a record from that site in 5 years

Yeah, I quit long ago. Once in awhile I snag something, but it's rare. There are some regular sellers on their for great 60's garage comps with awesome prices, but other than that I rarely use it.