Career Advice

I'm a Radiologic Technologist currently employed at a Children's hospital doing the graveyard shift. I hate it. My sleep pattern and social life is just non-existent. I have the opportunity to transfer to another hospital or clinic within the same company and I'm having a hard time choosing. Pay would stay the same. Just wanted some opinions.

Hospital Pros

-Good experience

-Diverse studies

-Full time job

-Able to easily venture into better paying modalities in the future (MRI,CT)

Hospital Cons

-Stressful environment

-Open and random schedule (including graves)

-Far from home (traffic is horrible here)

Clinic Pros

-Stress free

-Set hours (no graves)

-Close to home

Clinic Cons

-Part time job

-No movement

-Redundant

Most techs want to eventually work at a clinic as they get older, so I feel I'm cheating my experience if I get that job now. But why pass up something good if it's available now? That position is rarely available.

It sounds like you'd much rather prefer the latter. You shouldn't spend the better part of your life being stressed out if you don't have to. Is the pay different? If you're not losing any income I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do it. Take the money spent on your daily commute into consideration, it adds up. Sure it might be redundant, but 99% of everyone's jobs are.

Edit: didn't realize it was part time, if you can live comfortably off that income then do it, but if you're trying to buy a home/start a family go where the money is.

It does sound like the clinic would be better. I noticed that the hospital is full time and clinic is not. So my first question would be could you live off of the part time pay. If so, then my thought process is to put yourself first and enjoy/have a life because its the only one we get.

One thing I have learned in life is that is more than possible to love your job, you just have to find the right one that works for you. Clearly you don't love your job right now. I would advise you to go out on a limb and try that clinic job. If you know there will be less stress I would take it. Since it is part time you can look for an additional job to supplement your income that you also love. End result = you aren't miserable and you still have money.

Im dealing with the opposite situation right now. I am currently a supervisor at AMC Theaters and I was offered a job at ICEE for significantly more money. The downsides are: more stress, way too many hours for my personal stress level 65-70hrs?, less freedom, etc.  Personally I would rather make less and sacrifice a few material possessions in favor of my sanity.

For me it would depend on what you want to do in the future. You say the hospital would give you better experience and more opportunities in the future. I think it would be worth it to endure a stressful period if it will allow you to do what you want in the future. A few years in a not so great position is better than a dead-end job even if you might enjoy it more at the moment.

Basic decision science:

1) Brainstorm a list of all the criteria in your decision.

2) Weight your criteria. A simple system is to use (1 - Nice to Have, 3 - Somewhat Important, 5 - Important, 7 - Very Important, 10 - Critical).

3) Score your alternatives against each criteria (1 - Poor, 3 - OK, 5 - Good, 7 - Great, 10 - Perfect).

4) Multiply criteria weight by score. Sum them up. Take the higher scoring alternative.

If one is noticeably better, it makes the decision easier (>10% better as a ballpark number). If the end scores are pretty close, you have shown the decision is kind of a coinflip. In that case, just go with your gut and don't beat yourself up trying to find a reason that one is better than the other -- there isn't a clear winner so just choose one and make the best of whatever you try.