Putting together my Expedite...

Tips for anyone yet to build one:

4. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE IT SIDEWAYS. IT WILL COLLAPSE.

sideways?? please elaborate.

On a side note, I will finally be getting one of these.... and not because my record collection has grown to necessitate one, but because my wife saw on "Jon and Kate Plus 8" that they had 2 6X6's with the little basket inserts. Then she had to have one.... which is good for me. Just gotta make the drive to Stoughton one of these days....

On a side note, I will finally be getting one of these.... and not because my record collection has grown to necessitate one, but because my wife saw on "Jon and Kate Plus 8" that they had 2 6X6's with the little basket inserts. Then she had to have one.... which is good for me. Just gotta make the drive to Stoughton one of these days....

My GF watches that show, how come she doesn't want an Expedit now? :(

i recently moved out to my own place and had to furnish the entire place. Ikea was the only place that fitted my budget and now it looks like the place fucking threw up inside my flat (apartment for our american friends). One expedit, two book cases, two couches, two chests of drawers, a dining table and four chairs, a tv bench and a coffee table. Put them all together myself on my own, sometimes while my girlfriend was in the kitchen, manly as fuck.

My GF watches that show, how come she doesn't want an Expedit now? :(

She does want one now, but before she saw that show there was no way in hell she was gonna let me put a 5x5 or 6x6 piece in our living room, but thanks to that show and a little coaxing from me, I will now be able to have my records in the same room as my turntable :D. I will however have to give up the bottom row for the little baskets..... compromises....

the little baskets aren't that bad, one of them has all my demo tapes/cdrs in them, and another has my extra lp and 7" bags. totally good for keeping everything hidden away.

Nice. I my case they will be filled with toys, puzzles, and games for the kids.... the probably will make our house look more orderly. What are the baskets called @ Ikea? Is this it:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90028066

the little baskets aren't that bad, one of them has all my demo tapes/cdrs in them, and another has my extra lp and 7" bags. totally good for keeping everything hidden away.

yeah, the baskets are great. My girl bought 4 of them and I've got one full of video game controllers/wires/shit and one filled with stickers/demos/cdrs etc.

The only thing about the boxes are that they are a bit pricey for what they are and I'm pretty sure you can find much cheaper boxes that will do the same exact thing for much less.

I thought about using wood glue on the pegs, but we hope to not be in my tiny apartment for a whole lot longer (only about 1-2 years while she finishes her masters & med school stuff), so I didn't want to make it impossible to move.

Does anyone use the wall mounts that came with it? I had planned on doing so, but there's a baseboard in the apt that prevents it from being flush against the wall and using the mounts would make it "tip" and bit backwards. It seems pretty secure though, I'm just a naturally "worst case scenerio" guy, so the horror stories of them collapsing go through my head and that one photo haunts my dreams.

I think the photo of the broken one is due to it being built "sideways" as mentioned above, but I could be wrong.

Those that put it together solo have my respect as it was a pain in the ass for us for some reason.

I'm going to be getting one of these. Not to nervous as between the wife and I we've assembled, our coffee table, three book cases, two entertainment center, two barstools, our dinning room table, a dresser, a desk and five end tables.

The bad part about having an above average income and below average taste is that you can replace that shit so quickly if you're willing to put in the work.

Does anyone use the wall mounts that came with it? I had planned on doing so, but there's a baseboard in the apt that prevents it from being flush against the wall and using the mounts would make it "tip" and bit backwards. It seems pretty secure though, I'm just a naturally "worst case scenerio" guy, so the horror stories of them collapsing go through my head and that one photo haunts my dreams.

Those that put it together solo have my respect as it was a pain in the ass for us for some reason.

I have IKEA shelves for my CD's and Records, all full and they are about 8 feet high. I do not use the wall mounts and the shelves are just fine and have been for about 5 years now, no rocking, no falling, they stay just where they are, on carpet for most of that time too.