Your thoughts on represses in general

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

name a band on NO Idea (besides HWM or AM!) that sells more than 2000 copies of their records. i'll wait.

small brown bike

dillinger four

coalesce

j church

less than jake

planes mistaken for stars

cmon, man. you know the demand for those bands isnt anywhere near HWM or AM! levels. my point is this: without vinyl represses, im not sure No Idea is a record label anymore. i cant imagine im far off. cd sales continue to drop. who buys cds anymore? however, you'll always have a vinyl customer as long as you repress on nifty colors. and really, no idea gray IS pretty nifty.

small brown bike

dillinger four

coalesce

j church

less than jake

A lot of those aren't/weren't No Idea bands, they just had released on the label.

any band who releases a record, be it CD or LP or Cassette or whatever, on a record label is ON that label and band of that label.

small brown bike

dillinger four

coalesce

j church

less than jake

cmon, man. you know the demand for those bands isnt anywhere near HWM or AM! levels. my point is this: without vinyl represses, im not sure No Idea is a record label anymore. i cant imagine im far off. cd sales continue to drop. who buys cds anymore? however, you'll always have a vinyl customer as long as you repress on nifty colors. and really, no idea gray IS pretty nifty.

you said, what bands on no idea sold more than 2000 records. I gave you those bands. You did not ask what bands are more in demand than HWM or AM! on No Idea.

Dude, yer joking right? They put out TONS of new records all the time. They just get a lot of slack on here for continually repressing RAR, but trust me, they're not staying afloat because of AM! and HWM represses (most of the other records they repress are usually out of print for a long while before they are repressed).

name a band on NO Idea (besides HWM or AM!) that sells more than 2000 copies of their records. i'll wait.

They don't have to sell thousands of copies of each release to stay in business. They make enough money on distro and other releases to stay afloat. Do you honestly believe that No Idea wouldn't be a label if it weren't for Reinventing Axl Rose and Fuel For the Hate Game?

The argument that someone made is that NI stay afloat with HWM and Against Me.

Just wanted to point out that there are more than 20 No Idea releases with over 3000 copies that don't involve those two bands:

LESS THAN JAKE "Unglued" - 7"

LESS THAN JAKE "Losers Kings and Things We Don't Understand" - LP

soon to be 3k+

LESS THAN JAKE / KEMURI - 7"

LESS THAN JAKE "Mixology Of Tom Collins" - 5"

ACRID / LEFT FOR DEAD - Buzzsaw shaped 12"

BOMBS OF DEATH / ACRID - 7"

I HATE MYSELF "Ten Songs" - LP

JUD JUD "The Demos" - 7"

THE SWARM "Parasitic Skies" - 10"

SMALL BROWN BIKE "Our Own Wars" - LP

3k soon

PALATKA "The End Of Irony" - LP

3k+

COMBATWOUNDEDVETERAN "I Know A Girl Who Develops Crime Scene Photos" - LP

DILLINGER FOUR "This Shit Is Genius" - LP

SWARM "Old Blue Eyes Is Dead" - 7"

v/a: "READ ARMY FACTION" - 7"

3k+

I HATE MYSELF "Two Songs" - 7"

STRIKE ANYWHERE "Chorus Of One" - 12"

PLANES MISTAKEN FOR STARS "Fuck With Fire" LP

PLANES MISTAKEN FOR STARS "Spearheading the Sin Movement" - 7"

ME FIRST AND THE GIMME GIMMES "Stevie" - 7"

4k+

remove HWM and AM! from the equation, and NI would have a really hard time keeping it's doors open.

Jud Jud sold 4K? ok, dude. No Idea trudges on due to the unabashed success of a Jud Jud demo. cd sales continue to fall, bigger labels than No Idea have shut down, yet somehow they've shown no signs of wear and tear from downloading.

because they've repressed every hot water music and against me! record 25 times.

let's be honest here: we're collectors.

collectors dont want everyone to have what they have.

from a label standpoint, i get it.

from a collector standpoint, represses are lame.

if i miss the boat on something, tracking a copy down at a reasonable price is even more fun than refreshing a website all day, waiting for a preorder.

I'm a huge collector. I buy every stupid variant and I can't bring myself not to.

But the collector standpoint is completely secondary for me. I only care about having music on vinyl. I'd love nothing more than for it to become the #1 format again and be able to walk into a RECORD store and buy any release I wanted, just like in the 80s. I'd love for the masses to rediscover it and every person in the world to become a vinyl junkie. If my records are worth something? Strictly a bonus.

remove HWM and AM! from the equation, and NI would have a really hard time keeping it's doors open.

Jud Jud sold 4K? ok, dude. No Idea trudges on due to the unabashed success of a Jud Jud demo. cd sales continue to fall, bigger labels than No Idea have shut down, yet somehow they've shown no signs of wear and tear from downloading.

because they've repressed every hot water music and against me! record 25 times.

Jud Jud is ONE out of that list you picked out. holy closed eyes batman. I know labels who release smaller bands who stay open just as long as no idea. those labels you're thinking of probably closed down because they went retarded trying to push some shit band they thought would be the next thursday or brand new or taking back sunday that flopped big time.

dude you have no idea what you're talking about. I've been running a label for 10+ years and most of our releases only sell 1000 copies of so.. and we're still up and running perfectly ok.

knocking represses is elitist bullshit. ive said it a million times.

collectors will ALWAYS want first presses/limited colors that it really doesnt matter if there are represses or not. are any of you guys that collect AM! or HWM telling me that you give up on earlier pressings because you have a later one?

the people who arent hardcore enough to pay $100 for a rare record to try and complete their collection are never going to pay that much just for one copy, theyll wait for a repress, and if it never comes will never have the record. Kids like most of us who try and get every color, or love these bands enough to pay ridiculous prices for wax, will understand what a first press means and what colors are rarest and will always pay a lot of money for original pressings.

theres a reason first presses of Oceanic still sell for well over $80-100, even after all of the represses. because ISIS fans are nuts.

dude you have no idea what you're talking about. I've been running a label for 10+ years and most of our releases only sell 1000 copies of so.. and we're still up and running perfectly ok.

I like the "you have NO IDEA"

Kids like most of us who try and get every color, or love these bands enough to pay ridiculous prices for wax, will understand what a first press means and what colors are rarest and will always pay a lot of money for original pressings.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is the core of the passion of the collectors that I know and have met.

because ISIS fans are nuts.

I can attest to that...I mean...who would fly from Florida to Boston for the band's 10th anniversary shows?!?!? ;)

if i miss the boat on something, tracking a copy down at a reasonable price is even more fun than refreshing a website all day, waiting for a preorder.

I'm a huge collector. I buy every stupid variant and I can't bring myself not to.

But the collector standpoint is completely secondary for me. I only care about having music on vinyl.

This seems a bit contradictory to me. If the collector standpoint is secondary and you only care about having the music on vinyl, then why buy every version? Do you actually listen to 4 different copies of the same record?

represses are alright. even if they are less limited/rare, at least you'll have the record in the first place, even if it's just the beginning a band collection. i mean, if they repress a record, say the colors are more limited, you could still have one out of only 29 made, as opposed to the 500 made in the first press. it may not sell as much, but it's the idea of having only one out of so many, as opposed to having one out of A LOT.

all but one copy i have of shook ones' sixteen was all bought second hand from people who jumped on it before me. i had to pay a lot for them, but i still welcome represses (hell, i'm waiting for them to repress facetious folly feat). i think it's what makes record collecting fun, but also frustrating and draining. it's like, just be cool about it, and don't be a dick (or baby) about it. that's what trades are for. but i mean, overall, it's the same record, with just a different look. if you're determined enough (and if your bank account can support it), you'll get it.

but i will admit same color repressings are annoying.

But the collector standpoint is completely secondary for me. I only care about having music on vinyl.

This seems a bit contradictory to me. If the collector standpoint is secondary and you only care about having the music on vinyl, then why buy every version? Do you actually listen to 4 different copies of the same record.

I don't think it's contradictory at all. In fact, I think it's unfortunate that everyone here doesn't feel the same way. Love of music on vinyl first and foremost. Just because the collecting standpoint is secondary doesn't mean I don't absolutely love it and take it to the extreme just like everyone else.

But the collector standpoint is completely secondary for me. I only care about having music on vinyl. I'd love nothing more than for it to become the #1 format again and be able to walk into a RECORD store and buy any release I wanted, just like in the 80s. I'd love for the masses to rediscover it and every person in the world to become a vinyl junkie. If my records are worth something? Strictly a bonus.

does that mean that you listen to each of the copies that you buy?

does that mean that you listen to each of the copies that you buy?

That's what I asked.