All things cleaning records - what do you use?

So, I've been reading over the FAQ and checking out Needledoctor.com and everything they have there, but I would like to get opinions on what everyone uses to clean their records.

This is thread is sparked by my just receiving a copy of Gates - You Are All You Have Left To Fear which sounds amazing, but is quite noisy. I also have some other records in dire need of a cleaning due to pops and static.

So, I'm looking to pick up a brush to help clean off dust and hair and particles from the jackets.

I'm also looking at an anti-static brush.

Then I would also like to get something that actually cleans and de-statics the records.

Any thoughts on this stuff: http://www.needledoctor.com/Stanton-VC-1-Vinyl-Cleaner

or this: http://www.needledoctor.com/Gruv-Glide

I'm kind of not sure where to really start.... I want to be able to brush off my records before I play them, and give a cleaning to the ones that have static and noise from being dirty.

When I first got into records I bought a Spin Clean. Definitely a worthwhile investment. It definitely gets rid of static. I've heard people complain their records sound worse after using the Spin Clean, but they're obviously not doing it right.

I have a brush I use on new records before I clean them because there's usually pieces of paper stuck to them.

When I first got into records I bought a Spin Clean. Definitely a worthwhile investment. It definitely gets rid of static. I've heard people complain their records sound worse after using the Spin Clean, but they're obviously not doing it right.

I have a brush I use on new records before I clean them because there's usually pieces of paper stuck to them.

I went through some miserable experiences with the Spin Clean and having records have more surface noise.  Then I figured it was because I was letting too much fluid air dry on the record.  I started drying them as soon as I took them out of the bath and haven't had a problem since.  

I went through some miserable experiences with the Spin Clean and having records have more surface noise. Then I figured it was because I was letting too much fluid air dry on the record. I started drying them as soon as I took them out of the bath and haven't had a problem since.

I had that issue too and returned it to Amazon. Maybe I should give it another chance. Those cloths they supplied were terrible, maybe I should get some micro fiber cloths to use instead.

Like everything to do with hifi some things are cheap and some are not and in general you get what you pay for but not always.

For dirty records on the cheap a spinclean or a knosti discostat.

For dirty records more expensively but properly use a proper vacuum washing machine like the VPI, Lorricraft or Okki Nokki.

For really dirty records use wood glue, search it on you tube. This is no joke and there is no more effictive way to clean a really dirty record but the first time you do it takes balls of steel.

For static a decent anti static brush or dest of all a Zerostat and an Acrylic platter or platter mat.

And after your records are properly wash, dried and static free new poly lined inners are always good and better protection for your records.

I had that issue too and returned it to Amazon. Maybe I should give it another chance. Those cloths they supplied were terrible, maybe I should get some micro fiber cloths to use instead.

I used microfiber cloths, but I ended up going back to the ones that it came with.  The microfiber ones seemed to be creating  a lot more static on the record after I cleaned it.  That didn't happen with the supplied cloths.  

could it be that I just have a noisy pressing? Is that a thing?

Because when I put the needle on for this Gates record, there's just a TON of noise. So much so that you can still hear it over the music.

I was thinking about a SpinClean but that seems like such a gimmicy kind of thing.... do they actually work?

Which anti-static brush is actually anti-static? Because the audio-quest creates a ton of it.

Yes I have heard that, I've not tried any of the modern ones although the carbon bristle ones should work.

It can be down to relative humidity or the lack of it so where you live can have a big bearing on static build up, the best things though are an acrylic platter with no other form of mat on it or an acrylic platter mat but that's not as good as the whole platter and then a zerostat gun.

I have an old brush from way back made by Hunt E.D.A that works fine and it's very similar to a lot of others around back then.

I have an old brush from way back made by Hunt E.D.A that works fine and it's very similar to a lot of others around back then.

Thats the next one I have considered but I feel like they will be mostly similar. It does get better and worse  depending on the weather. I tried adding a ground wire and it did nothing. I find that waving a ground wire carefully over records will discharge them but only if I hold them I think. Not ideal but cheaper than $100 zerostat. Have thought about making something like this though just to tap on the records.

could it be that I just have a noisy pressing? Is that a thing?

It is definitely a thing. But it could also just be static.  Does the record feel like it has a lot of static electricity on it when you handle it?  Or does it stick to your slipmat?  If it does, more than likely static is your problem.

I would rather put this in a new thread but will post here just for people who actually use the search function. Don't use the Audioquest brush! Unless you want fibers in the grooves of your records and probably scratches them too. Audioquest "anti static" brush is a worthless piece of shit. Sure some get lucky with one that isn't but it shouldn't be that way.

Also I'm pretty sure that many of these cheap brushes that look like this are the same shit with different names put on them.

41wo%2BiIy84L._SS300_.jpg

Now what? Unfortunately I have read some have bad experience with the Hunt E.D.A brushes not being made as well as they were.

I have that brush and it works just fine.

^yep.

I also have an entry level RCM but for dry cleaning records the Audioquest one works perfectly. I never understood the complaints about it, I mean you would have to be applying a ton of unnecessary pressure in order to have bristles falling off the brush, at least from the couple that I've used they've been fine at removing minimal dust, debris, etc.

Will using a brush like that Audioquest one actually remove things from inside the grooves, or is it more for surface things like hair and paper sleeve particles left over?

It's not so much static pops I'm looking to remove, but a lot of records I have are noisy with that rice krispies sort of sound going on. Every once in a while I'll have the loud actual pop but not super often.

I think there's just dirt and dust and whatever else down in the grooves.

I'm looking to just make them less noisy so that the quiet parts are quieter; would I be better served going for some sort of wet cleaning method like a Spinclean, or do you guys think a brush would suffice for what I'm after?

I'm looking into some microfiber cloths too because I saw a video of a guy doing a home cleaning thing with just some distilled water, a couple drops of detergent, and microfiber cloths. I may do that as well, but would that be for excessively dirty records that are VERY noisy?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, cleaning records is a totally new arena for me haha