Lighting up acrylic platters

I haven't done this upgrade, but I saw some IKEA LED strips a few days ago and they looked like they would work well. They are flexible and have an adhesive backing so they would stick well to the base of the turntable. The set I saw also had a dial that would switch the colors. I think the set was around $30?

I think the LED strips are cool, but the actual wired in LEDs always give me that extra wow factor when I see it, I'm a sucker for craftsmanship. Oznium.com is an awesome resource for single LEDs, power sources, and stuff. These surface mounted LEDs would be great if you can get them inside. I think you could expand that hole where the power cord for the turntable comes in, and slide the wires through there in the back, and point them up from underneath the platter giving it that glow. I'm not familiar with the Orbits all that much, but I've been wanting to do this, just never had a turntable with an acrylic platter!

I've been wanting to buy an acrylic platter for my turntable but I have a question for everyone with one:

I own the regular Debut Carbon and before I play records, I hold a brush on the record to clean the surface before dropping the needle. Can you do this on an acrylic? Would it slide all over and scratc hthe record?

I've been wanting to buy an acrylic platter for my turntable but I have a question for everyone with one:

I own the regular Debut Carbon and before I play records, I hold a brush on the record to clean the surface before dropping the needle. Can you do this on an acrylic? Would it slide all over and scratc hthe record?

You shouldn't do it regardless of what platter you have.

If you intend to continue, the acrylic platter shouldn't be worse than stock.

Why the bad attitude for asking a question?

Why the bad attitude for not getting the answer you wanted?

I think that pressing down on your platter while it is spinning is a terrible idea.  best case you don't actually break anything and only shorten the lifespan of your table/replacable parts.

I mean, I'm not applying any real force, just holding the brush in place while the platter and record spin under it. How do you dry brush your records before playing them?

if I need to dry brush a record,  I remove it from the table and brush it.

You're using enough force to be concerned that it will "slide all over and scratc hthe record". 

If it's not sliding, that's additional force placed on your belt/motor.

No one is trying to be a dick here they are trying to help you.

I use a VPI 16.5 which is made for the purpose.

If I didn't, I would place on some flat surface probably on top of the inner sleeve or something clean/safe.

What he said, at the very best by doing what you're doing you are shortening the life of your belt as you're adding drag when none is wanted or needed. You can lightly brush a record on the platter if it's not spinning but it's not ideal and as Tardcore says a flat surface is a lot better.

Looks like he answered pretty straight forward without attitude to me.

Constructive criticism from someone more experienced isn't attitude. the correct response should have been thank you I didn't know that.

He could have told me about his cleaning machine and said to set the record on something flat and clean in his first post. Instead he wasted his and my time giving me advice on what to do if I "intended on continuing" to do something I didn't even know was wrong in the first place, pointing out typos for no reason, and filling the otherwise purposed thread with pointless responses. I just had a quick basic question that bared no real attention but because I was doing something wrong he felt the need to be snobby.

I'm not an ignorant Instagram vinyl nerd, and I've been a member of the community for awhile. Just gotta love the snarkiness towards the uninformed.

and...you continue to be a dick.

I simply said that I didn't feel that the practice of running you brush over a record while the platter was spinning wasn't a good idea.

And then assuming that you were just going to say that I am wrong/stupid/rude I kindly answered your question anyway and even answered your follow up queries. You're pretty determined to be the victim here.

I think the LED strips are cool, but the actual wired in LEDs always give me that extra wow factor when I see it, I'm a sucker for craftsmanship. Oznium.com is an awesome resource for single LEDs, power sources, and stuff. These surface mounted LEDs would be great if you can get them inside. I think you could expand that hole where the power cord for the turntable comes in, and slide the wires through there in the back, and point them up from underneath the platter giving it that glow. I'm not familiar with the Orbits all that much, but I've been wanting to do this, just never had a turntable with an acrylic platter!

Ooh those look rad.. I think there's a big enough gap between the platter and turntable base for this solution. I'll check it out. Thanks!

He could have told me about his cleaning machine and said to set the record on something flat and clean in his first post. Instead he wasted his and my time giving me advice on what to do if I "intended on continuing" to do something I didn't even know was wrong in the first place, pointing out typos for no reason, and filling the otherwise purposed thread with pointless responses. I just had a quick basic question that bared no real attention but because I was doing something wrong he felt the need to be snobby.

I'm not an ignorant Instagram vinyl nerd, and I've been a member of the community for awhile. Just gotta love the snarkiness towards the uninformed.

Dude, you're the asshole here. Calm your shit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, I'm not applying any real force, just holding the brush in place while the platter and record spin under it. How do you dry brush your records before playing them?

if I need to dry brush a record,  I remove it from the table and brush it.

You're using enough force to be concerned that it will "slide all over and scratc hthe record". 

If it's not sliding, that's additional force placed on your belt/motor.

Are we talking about those carbon fiber brushes? If so, I use those all the time while the platter is spinning to get rid of static and cat hair, you really don't have to use any force. It puts way less force on the motor/belt than putting a record puck/weight would. But if you're trying to clean smudges or deep clean the thing then yeah, take it off.